Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Default Whitehaven gig

F**k me what a triumph! You guys are in for a real treat.

Fury UK were a fantastic start, I was expecting a lot after what you folks have said about them and they delivered in spades. A really great sound from a 3 piece, so good I bought the album (and I'm tight as a gnat's chuff!). I'm not familiar with their stuff so can't list the tracks unfortunately but DON'T miss them.

Wolfsbane were really good too. I must admit I was quite surprised by that but Blaze got the crowd going and they played really, really well. One of my all time favourites, Kathy Wilson, was in the set list and it was outstanding, I Like it Hot was cool and they finished off with Manhunt. The also played Loco, Temple of Rock and Black Lagoon. I felt I'd already got my money's worth and Saxon hadn't even uncovered Nigel's drum kit.

Saxon were just awesome, probably the best I've ever seen them play (but then I only saw them in 2009 and hadn't seen them before that for about 15 years!). Fabulous atmosphere, if it wasn't sold out it must've been pretty close, the crowd were joining in with everything. You've seen the set list in other posts, suffice to say the new songs are fabulous, Denim and Leather was just unbelievably good and I'm still grinning from ear to ear nearly an hour after the show. Not a foot put wrong.

The only downside is I think I might've put my daughter off heavy metal concerts for a while (too loud for her)! On the plus side, my son wants to know when the next one is.

Enjoy folks

Heid

Last edited by Heid; 04-12-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the review Heid, the 23rd can't come quick enough
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the review
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Heid has summed up last nights show perfectly.Great to see them back in town again! How many well established bands go out of their way to play outposts like this On a Monday night where you're nearly an hours drive from the nearest motorway?

We went to the sound check in the afternoon too which was a superb experience !! It was very laid back & the lads in the band and their team made everyone very welcome and made sure everyone was catered for with photos etc afterwards. Great day ... Thanks !!

Last edited by Rik; 04-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM

great stuff . anyone got the full set list please ?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM

It was a great set similar to the Nottingham show, if you look on that thread, with slight differences, two I can remember off hand were....
Sweeney Todd and Eagle has landed instead of motorcycle man & broken heroes.Don't think they done hungry years either?? They did do got to rock to stay alive.

Last edited by Rik; 04-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 PM

great, thanks for that Rik.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM

What i am finding with people who have seen Saxon on this tour is how fresh they sound, everyone is giving out great vibes, i know a few of you have done maybe 4 or 5 (and more) gigs, i have seen them once and was totally blown away, and now i cannot wait until London Town....