Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Did Saxon have bad advisors?

After reading Biff's autobiograhy my conclusion is that if Saxon had had better management/advisors they would be today just as big as for instance Iron Maiden. I must confess that after Crusader I felt that Saxon's music drifted too much towards what's more suitable for American radio than the more basic and true Metal community I wish to think I'm part of. I'm very pleased that at least since Metal Head, Saxon is back on the track where I prefer to have them; that is a true British Heavy Metal band! I'm grateful for input and opinions from other Saxonists!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Schämsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAttila View Post
After reading Biff's autobiograhy my conclusion is that if Saxon had had better management/advisors they would be today just as big as for instance Iron Maiden. I must confess that after Crusader I felt that Saxon's music drifted too much towards what's more suitable for American radio than the more basic and true Metal community I wish to think I'm part of. I'm very pleased that at least since Metal Head, Saxon is back on the track where I prefer to have them; that is a true British Heavy Metal band! I'm grateful for input and opinions from other Saxonists!
This answer i can give you in a Short Form. I think the Management round Thomas Jensen is the right One. They all did a Great Job. No Doubt

The Drummer has Landed
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schämsz View Post
This answer i can give you in a Short Form. I think the Management round Thomas Jensen is the right One. They all did a Great Job. No Doubt
I think in the early days they would have def been better off if they had been picked up by say Q prime or some other big named management team. I think since Thomas and Leo have taken the reigns so to speak Saxon have risen in popularity and not just through the music (as thats always been great) but by good managment and taking risky decisions, the Harvey Goldsmith prog springs to mind,and making them work to their advantage.Yeah there's probably been some cock ups along the way but thats life and its a cut throat business.Keep up the good work Thomas and team.Long live Saxon!!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
I think in the early days they would have def been better off if they had been picked up by say Q prime or some other big named management team. I think since Thomas and Leo have taken the reigns so to speak Saxon have risen in popularity and not just through the music (as thats always been great) but by good managment and taking risky decisions, the Harvey Goldsmith prog springs to mind,and making them work to their advantage.Yeah there's probably been some cock ups along the way but thats life and its a cut throat business.Keep up the good work Thomas and team.Long live Saxon!!!!
no doubt about it rider. they only do things for there advantage but have you ever think about that you would do the same if you have to manage your own band or a band from a friend? as you say this is a cut throath business. i really can not imagine that a band like saxon can manage themself. since over 30 years saxon are one of the most popular metalbands in the world. everbody in the world want to see them. tell me how can a bandmember manage this additional composing songs and and and... not to manage.They have add a family life.

Once again I support the crew round Thomas as good as I can.

The Drummer has Landed
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM

after putting on just a few small gigs in the past,i have to say its an effing nightmare and will leave it to the pros.Way to stressfull.God knows how Thomas copes with the stress of Wacken.I am surprised he still has hair lol.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
after putting on just a few small gigs in the past,i have to say its an effing nightmare and will leave it to the pros.Way to stressfull.God knows how Thomas copes with the stress of Wacken.I am surprised he still has hair lol.
thats what we have to find out. But I have no chance to get him on the festival.. lol

The Drummer has Landed
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Agree with pretty much everything that has been said. There were certainly some 'dodgy' decisions along the way, but to be fair, for every Iron Maiden there are hundreds of bands that didn't make it at all.

I've just read an article/ story about Riot and that really is a sad sequence of events so in some respects Saxon got off lightly!

You can refer to other threads on here where we've said that Saxon carried on through thick and thin and never gave up, that is to their eternal credit.

I personally like to think that the 'fight back' started with Solid Ball Of Rock but certainly since Thomas and Co have been with the band things have turned around superbly. Graham hits the nail on the head when he mentions the Goldsmith doc. That could have backfired terribly but was turned into a huge win for the band.

I also agree totally about how difficult it is to put on and promote even small gigs. You have to be a certain type of person to do it well (I'm not!!) and Thomas certainly 'has that something'.

As has been said it's a cut throat business and few 'really' succeed. To have the guys here all these years later, still making fantastic albums and being a superb live band (and I stress again 'never having gone away' like so many other bands) and starting to gain some much deserved recognition again is a pleasure for me to watch and I hope we have a few more years of it yet!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM

I agree totally with Rick. However, putting on gigs may not have been the " problem". Perhaps a more experienced advisor would have told the boys to chill and not jump on the first record deal with Carrere ( which I'm confident did not market Saxon the way they should have). Anyway, I'm sooooo happy that Saxon still kicks more or less every other group's ass as live performers. And the music they put out there is formidable. Let's spread the word and sooner or later we'll se Saxon as headliners everywhere. They deserve that.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I agree totally with Rick. However, putting on gigs may not have been the " problem". Perhaps a more experienced advisor would have told the boys to chill and not jump on the first record deal with Carrere ( which I'm confident did not market Saxon the way they should have). Anyway, I'm sooooo happy that Saxon still kicks more or less every other group's ass as live performers. And the music they put out there is formidable. Let's spread the word and sooner or later we'll se Saxon as headliners everywhere. They deserve that.
I agree with you to, certainly the gig thing wasn't the only thing. Carrere seemed to be good for the band in the beginning but being a predominantly 'dance' label they perhaps didn't know how to take it further as the band started to gain more public perception in other countries. EMI certainly didn't help at the time either. How many times back then did a bigger label sign a popular band and then try to change them. It's so silly, with hindsight, to change something that already works.

Like I said before though, much of it is just being in exactly the right place at the right time. One small decision can sometimes be all it takes to make or break someone.

Knowing and dealing with the correct people who make the 'right' decisions is obviously a must but with all the knowledge in the world you still cannot predict how it will pan out in different countries. There are so many variables and sometimes it's just not meant to be.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
There never was a need, a must to change Saxons sound to get airplay. They just needed to tour more everywhere with another big band. MTV alone never broke or made many bands. I have never chided Saxon for trying something new. All bands have this test through fire and I think a grinding tour would have given them the best chance for Stardom and working on the radio airwaves. MTV has helped many bands but when you have so many metal British bands at once with a dufus manager, there was hardly something great gonna come out of this but hard feelings. I think even MTV hurt many bands and purposely didn't play these newer bands just to show they had the power.

Those days are over and MTV's popularity proves my point.