Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 AM

Default Just back from Sheffield.. How good was that!

Missed the Holmfirth gig.. Could not get to it. Tonight was great though.. My ears are `Saxon` buzzing again.. First Saxon gig since 1990 I think.. And the first time I watched Doug live, boy, can he play... Biff is still unreal... Nigel is still the biz. Paul Quinn is the most underrated guitarist in the history of Metal. And I cannot believe Nibbs head has not fallen off yet, rocker or what?... Nibbs is like a extreme version of Angus Young, but on Bass. That was a fantastic gig.

We took a Saxon Newbie with us tonight, Tony, he had only heard a few songs. He is a big Queen fan.. He was cheering his head off in no time.. On the way home he said "they were amazing."

Peace to all Saxon fans.. I hope you are all grinning your asses off same as I am after such a great night.. Long Live Saxon!

Last edited by Goosey; 05-01-2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling mistake due to beer.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 AM

Goosey my brother! where in Sheffield did you see Saxon? was it the Hallam FM Arena? is so I saw Iron Maiden there in Dec 06
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 AM

Sheffield Academy tonight Golden Goose m8.. I am still hyped up from it... Seen them loads at the Sheffield City Hall over the years. Saxon are the best live band I have ever seen.. Then Blue Oyster Cult.. Best two bands in the world.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Had the pleasure of listening to Battalions down the phone live from Sheff last night, the crowd sounded amazing as did the band Goosey glad yiu had a good one!

Cheers Saxon1963 for the live link

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Default glad you enjoyed it

hi goosey glad you enjoy it, on a scale of 1 to ten, for a live band i would give saxon 11 and remember come on within, come on without you not seen nothing like the mighty paul quinn.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Superb evening. Was great to see Doro again after so many years away from these shores. Her enthusiasm was infections; i swear that smile never left her face all night. I'd foegoten what a GIANT the bassist was lol.
As ever, Saxon were just class. They had the crowd straight away. Great to hear the "curveball" of "Ride Like The Wind". That got a fantastic reaction from the crowd. (suggestion for another total curveball: "Nightmare". That has been played so few times)
Consideriing the guys had played same venue not so long ago,with Motorhead, the turn out was impressive. Biff said "We'll keep playing here untill we sell it out!" So we'll hold you to that Biff!
Saxon live, never dissapoint, fantastic night as ever.Roll on the next one in Sheffield!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nick_the_VII_Saxon

Sheffield might be the ebst place for concert I think well I wish I had a concert there ocne in Yorshire!!! True Brits Ass lander!

nick_saxon@hotmail.fr
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Smile

Fantastic gig last night my ears are still buzzing to . Thought it was a great night made more special as Nibbs is an old freind from when we where growing
up and he invited us down .Cant beleive while doro where playing he came and sat with us near the bar for about an hour and no one noticed he was there ! . Definatley a night to remember for me .
Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Great gig last night, really enjoyed Saxon's set.
I used up most of my energy rockin' to Doro, just about made it to the end of the night in one piece.

I spoke to Biff when he arrived at the Academy in the afternoon, he signed my Dad's 747 single for me.

Waited outside for several hours as I was hoping to have a word with Doro but apparently she was already in the Academy at that point so didn't know I was there. Had to rush back home in the end to fetch my ticket and drop off the stuff I was hoping for Doro to sign, just made it back to the Academy as the queue was starting to build up.

Got to the barrier which is always fun. The sound's never perfect at the front of course but the atmosphere and being able to watch the bands up close makes up for that.

Never thought I'd get to see Doro perform in my home town so that was quite special. Wish they could have played longer but they made the most of the time they had and definitely made a great impression on the crowd. There were more Doro fans in there last night than I thought there might be, got a really good reaction.
I spoke with all Doro's band after the show and mentioned the crowd reaction. They all seemed really pleased with it and Doro said she was keen on coming back so we may well get a headline tour next year.
I waited outside the tour bus until half one this morning to speak to Doro, she signed loads of autographs for me which was cool.

I've only seen Saxon once before, supporting Motorhead, and at the time I didn't know most of their material so it didn't really do much for me. They were on top form last night though, they barely stopped for breath between songs. Impressive performance and good musicians, too. I reckon they're probably the most underrated band around, but they certainly converted me!

I filmed 747 with Doro so I'll upload that when I get chance and post a link.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City View Post

I filmed 747 with Doro so I'll upload that when I get chance and post a link.
DORO Joins SAXON On Stage In Sheffield; Video Available - May 1, 2009

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=119226