Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Saxon/Motorhead-Leicester 11/11/08

Saxon in Leicester in me back yard wow it's been a long time.Despite this i left getting my ticket till last minute thinking it would not sell out. How wrong was i ! Still i payed my 25 for my sitting ticket. Most of you will be littloe shocked to find out i arrived in plenty of time. After having a pint with Saxon1963 we made our to the mighty De Montfort Hall. When we got to the venue i found out i couldnt get to the standing area without a wrist band, i was gutted. As luck would have it i bumped into an old mate who had nicked some wrist bands on the way in.Bonus i was in!
Saxon have not played De Montfort Hall since the album we do not mention tour, and then it was only 1/2 full.They had not played Leicester since 1991 i think. They made up for the years of absence by playing out of their skins. The set list was(Saxon 1963 put me right).
Motorcycle Man
Let Me Feel Your Power
Heavy Metal Thunder
Let Me Feel Your Power
Live To Rock
Princess Of The Night
Witchfinder General
Denim And Leather
Ashes To Ashes
Hellcat

I thought the set list was perfect plenty of classics for people who have lost track of Saxon over the years and plenty of newer stuff to show everyone what they have been up to. Hellcat is awefull but hey.........Now Biff said Saxon would come back to Leicester next year(yeah right) if they do they can be sure of a heroes welcome.

We are Motorhead and we play rock n roll and so starts another Motorhead set. Opening with Iron Fist was a great move it had me bouncing.Metropolis followed and i thought to myself why have i left it since the 1916 tour to see them again. Now i thought Motorhead were going to be predicable but they were great. A couple of track off the very underated "Another Perfect Day" was awesome. Going To Brazil is a modern Motorhead classic.

Did Saxon blow Motorhead off stage? For me to close to call. But i aint seen Motorhead in 20 odd years so i was going enjoy it no matter what. Saxon played a blinder and made lot of new friends and by the end of their set had won of the Motorhead hardcore over.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
When we got to the venue i found out i couldnt get to the standing area without a wrist band, i was gutted. As luck would have it i bumped into an old mate who had nicked some wrist bands on the way in.Bonus i was in!
Oh thats interesting to know for future reference. Something i always liked about de Montfort,when i used to go there in the 80s, was that even with seating tix you could get downstairs if you wanted.

Was very tempted to go to the gig as its such a rarity nowadays to get something decent at de montfort, but alas, couldnt justify the expense in the end (Still, i saw them at Sheffield Academy this tour)
Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 PM

I heard that Blaze Bayley joined Motorhead for Born to Raise Hell at this date!

.....first doctor, can I see the back of your neck, waaaarrrggghhh!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Agh ok thats who the other guy was.To be honest i'm not much of his stuff with Wlfsbane,Maiden and solo so i didnt recognise him. But yes he did now you mention it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post

The set list was(Saxon 1963 put me right).
Motorcycle Man
Let Me Feel Your Power
Heavy Metal Thunder
Let Me Feel Your Power
Live To Rock
Princess Of The Night
Witchfinder General
Denim And Leather
Ashes To Ashes
Hellcat
Blimey Nige must have been knackered having to play Let me feel your power twice

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL