Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 AM

Default Saxon should teach Maiden an thing or two......

Having grown up with both bands since 1980 I have loved them both equally for many years.........until say 2001. While Saxon has aged like a classic wine and gotten better with time, Maiden has put out complete shit. Saxon has gotten heavier and tighter and Maiden has gotten predictably boring. It frustrates me that Maiden comes to Phoenix AZ and plays in front of 15,000 people and Saxon plays to maybe 200 in a club. Why???????
May Saxon live forever and Maiden, well, its way past time to hang it up.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmaster1984 View Post
Having grown up with both bands since 1980 I have loved them both equally for many years.........until say 2001. While Saxon has aged like a classic wine and gotten better with time, Maiden has put out complete shit. Saxon has gotten heavier and tighter and Maiden has gotten predictably boring. It frustrates me that Maiden comes to Phoenix AZ and plays in front of 15,000 people and Saxon plays to maybe 200 in a club. Why???????
May Saxon live forever and Maiden, well, its way past time to hang it up.
I liked Brave New World and Dance of Death. But A Matter of Life or Death was tedious. Final Frontier was patchy. Maiden have turned into Dream Theater.

I saw them on the Maiden in England tour earlier this year and they were great. But that was because it was the old stuff.

Agree that Saxon are now superior and should be filling arenas
Old 12-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Iron maiden are one of my favourite bands, live is no problem, i agree they have put out half assed albums for so long it is embarrassing and i cant see why they are not recognising it after all this time, Saxon meanwhile have kept releasing their mightiest material ever since 1997's unleash the beast album, its truly awesome to have a band of this high calibre putting so many other so called greats to shame, All the Power and the Glory to the mighty Saxon for working their asses off, and yes Saxon should be filling arenas , im looking forward to seeing them deliver some monster shows in arenas soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 PM

I like both bands as well and always have thought saxon was the superior in every way iron maiden has turned into shit and act like a bunch of spoiled asshole children that take their fans for granted and saxon has always treated included and been in touch with us fans from the beginning. Wish they would come to raleigh north carolina next year everything was too far for us here to go and see them.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Its a strange situation for sure. Liked brave new world and dance of death more recent efforts have been patchy.

For me Saxon's recording output has been incredibly strong not really putting a foot wrong. Their live shows have been fantastic as good as anyone. It seems to be a profile thing. If i mention maiden, priest, motorhead or acdc to friends or people at work who like rock\metal generally they are interested and quite often buy their cds and would go to shows (regardless of quality). These tend to be people who maybe are more casual listeners and don't follow the music press or internet sites but are still a big sector of the market audience. If i mention saxon they would quite often say are they still going or mention the early albums. Generally the dont know the recent output. When i have lent them some of the recent stuff basically they are gobsmacked. Saxon's profile is gradually building you can see the mix of ages at shows too - not just the old brigade. Maybe in America they need a suport slot on a maiden or priest tour to build more momentum. Even metallica shouldnt be off the radar for suport or even their orion festival . Its frustratiing to say the least and on numerous occasions lately ive seen people intervewed in the music press all stating saxon as being massively underated. This months metal hammer - wwe legend steve austin - saxon never got enough credit. If a kid comes up to me and ask what metal is "man you hand them something from saxon"

If you belong to a music facebook group or other forums paste some modern saxon youtube vids in because if you can only get someones attention more often than not they like it a lot. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by Doom Rider; 12-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Rider View Post
Its a strange situation for sure. Liked brave new world and dance of death more recent efforts have been patchy.

For me Saxon's recording output has been incredibly strong not really putting a foot wrong. Their live shows have been fantastic as good as anyone. It seems to be a profile thing. If i mention maiden, priest, motorhead or acdc to friends or people at work who like rock\metal generally they are interested and quite often buy their cds and would go to shows (regardless of quality). These tend to be people who maybe are more casual listeners and don't follow the music press or internet sites but are still a big sector of the market audience. If i mention saxon they would quite often say are they still going or mention the early albums. Generally the dont know the recent output. When i have lent them some of the recent stuff basically they are gobsmacked. Saxon's profile is gradually building you can see the mix of ages at shows too - not just the old brigade. Maybe in America they need a suport slot on a maiden or priest tour to build more momentum. Even metallica shouldnt be off the radar for suport or even their orion festival . Its frustratiing to say the least and on numerous occasions lately ive seen people intervewed in the music press all stating saxon as being massively underated. This months metal hammer - wwe legend steve austin - saxon never got enough credit. If a kid comes up to me and ask what metal is "man you hand them something from saxon"

If you belong to a music facebook group or other forums paste some modern saxon youtube vids in because if you can only get someones attention more often than not they like it a lot. Every little bit helps.
I couldn't put it any more succinct than that my friend..so I won't. Absolutely spot on. Great words
Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Rider View Post

Well said mate

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Got to say i like Iron Maiden but the last 2 studio albums have been boring,Saxon keep on putting out good albums but do not get the sales they deserve.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:34 PM

Thumbs up

As it happens, I like both Maiden and Saxon equally, but to be honest, I think Maiden has gradually got more disappointing over the years. They are still an amazing live band, and do an awesome show, but their music has just sounded more and more fake, as though they are desperately trying to become a prog metal band- ignoring the value of their classic masterpieces e.g. Number of the Beast, Powerslave, etc.

Saxon on the other hand, are bringing out consistently excellent music and great live shows.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader92 View Post
As it happens, I like both Maiden and Saxon equally, but to be honest, I think Maiden has gradually got more disappointing over the years. They are still an amazing live band, and do an awesome show, but their music has just sounded more and more fake, as though they are desperately trying to become a prog metal band- ignoring the value of their classic masterpieces e.g. Number of the Beast, Powerslave, etc.

Saxon on the other hand, are bringing out consistently excellent music and great live shows.
Totally agree. I love Maiden to bits. Out of their latter output I liked Brave NewWorld and Dance of Death a lot. Wasn't at all keen on A Matter of Life and Death. Final Frontier has some good songs, but some of it is tedious and along the lines of Dream Theater.

Saxon's later material is far superior