Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM

This is really a very grat album. I like it more than the two predecessors, although they were good as well.
Like some others I should say "Standing In A Queue" itīs my less favourite, but itīs not bad. Only thing Iīd like to see it more in the middle of the album and close it with "The Night Of the Wolf" which is someting relaxing, calm down for me.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Album is getting bigger more and more for me.
Actual i see nothing (Procession only) what i will miss!!!

Better 40 minutes on highest standard than 70 minutes
packed with fillers!!!

Bonus: still i hope we will never get an orchestral album
as an normal one i do not like this, sorry.
As bonus it is okay but that's all, what do you think?

And: i like the Haarlem-live

See ya on the road, hmthunder
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM

me think that orchestral album will be on the way, i think it will be good but the rerecorded heavier songs will make up for what we not like about orchestral stuffas long as we get plenty more new studio albums that will do
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM

I like orchestral stuff like Rhapsody.
So I like the version of Crusader on the Bonus CD as well.
But Saxon should remain Saxon. As a bonus itīs good, even One album would be OK, like Deep Purples Concerto For Group And Orchestra, but thats enough.
Thatīs my opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up Sacrifice

Just got "Sacrifice" in the post from amazon yesterday and have been very impressed with the effort music-wise. Some classics on this one! Love the packaging as well and the bonus CD stuff is a nice touch, with some great alternate takes.
Overall this one is killer & it's brilliant these guys show no sign of slowing down, thankfully!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM

My copy finally turned up, unfortunately I lost my hearing in one ear due to a bug flying around...

I feel this album has recaptured what was good from from Into The Labyrinth and Call To Arms, Into The Labyrinth has a belter of an opener and with Sacrifice, they built up to the title song Sacrifice with Procession very well. With Saxon's first album back in a time before I was born, Biff's vocals stood out from other Hard Rock and Heavy Metal bands, same goes today.

The words I would describe Sacrifice is Modern Saxon, it has a modern metal sound but it is still Saxon...

The bonus CD is nice too

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post

The words I would describe Sacrifice is Modern Saxon, it has a modern metal sound but it is still Saxon...
This is EXACTLY how I described Sacrifice to a friend yesterday!

I just got my copy yesterday thanks to having a different release date in the U.S. than the rest of the world, but it was well worth the wait!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM

I got mine on the 26th. OMG the packaging of the 2 disc set is over the top. I gotta get some video/pictures of it on this site and make a Vinyl Community video. I've had good success promoting Saxon in The Vinyl Community. Members are starting to show Saxon albums. They even display Saxon records in the background of their videos when talking about other band's. I love turning people on (and back on) to Saxon.

Thank you Saxon for taking the time to make the CD book right. Well worth the wait.

To finally hear Sacrifice on my stereo....Greatness.

Walking The Steel...is the best song....long live the free world...long live Saxon.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM

'Standing in a Queue' is one of my favorite tracks on the album.

Overall, I think Sacrifice is a pretty damn awesome platter. Most bands would struggle to make their 20th studio outing sound even passably fresh and original, but this is a strong release, even for a Saxon album.

The only thing I didn't like all that much is on the bonus disc. 'Requiem' is originally quite an upbeat track, but the slow, sad-sounding acoustic version sounds like it's mourning those dead musicians rather than celebrating them... The other bonus tracks were awesome.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Just got my copy last night...my 2 cents...

Listened to it 3 times so far and like it more than Call To Arms (which I now am interested in revisiting to refresh my memory).

The biggest impression I have of it seems too short; before I know it is over! Clocks in at under 40 minutes. I guess I'm spoiled with the trend these days of most new albums going on like 70+ minutes due to the CD format being that long. This being 40 minutes though goes back to the old vinyl days so I guess it being "too short" is a pretty lame criticism. So many killer albums clocked in at only 30-35 minutes back in the day...

The bonus disc is pretty good. I HATE rock bands adapting old songs with orchestras so when Crusader started out I almost pressed skip but it is actually pretty good.

Saxon have already done a bunch of re-recordings of old songs but don't think I remember any acoustic stuff like this disc has; for a future project I would dig hearing them do a whole unplugged album as opposed to an orchestral one.