Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
I'm telling ya I'm sold that its K.K. who wanted to do another Nostradamus type of an album and Glenn Ian and Rob wanted to a traditional "metal" album,not a watered down opera album. I'll find out where but there are sources that say K.K. was not happy with the direction of the band's future and how it was headed....
The bands future was heading to be one last tour and then probably more albums, which is not a great direction when you just get together do albums and then disappear for months on end. I don't believe K.K. had anything like another Nostradamus in mind, he probably just felt that it was time to go now now rather than later.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 PM

here you have it from the horses mouth.. Press release from his website.

http://www.kkdowning.net/home.html
Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Whem I read this news some days ago I was pissed off and shocked. When it seems the whole band was about to retire I was calm, because I thought it was a fair thing but this...how can they go on without Downing???? I can't accept this. Not at this stage. Carrying on without Halford in 1993 had sense, carrying on without Downing in 2011 has no sense at all. Shit!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM

It seems they knew around Christmas , according to an interview with Rob Halford. Pity he couldn't see out the last tour, I've been a fan since the 70s and would have liked to see him lined up in formation with Glenn & Rob, in that classic pose one more time, but if the rest of the band haven't had enough good luck to them, I'm sure the new guy will be handy enough with the guitar. Life goes on.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat of Peace View Post
Whem I read this news some days ago I was pissed off and shocked. When it seems the whole band was about to retire I was calm, because I thought it was a fair thing but this...how can they go on without Downing???? I can't accept this. Not at this stage. Carrying on without Halford in 1993 had sense, carrying on without Downing in 2011 has no sense at all. Shit!
Well,I see why your upset Cat. But to me it was much worse when Rob left Priest than K.K. leaving regaurdless if he was the founding member,Rob Glenn and Ian have been there since 1974.

We've heard what an album sounds like without Rob in the band with the 2 Ripper albums.

We've heard what Nostradamus sounds like with that album being K.K.'s idea's,arrangements and major influence with Rob of course headlining the vocals and Glenn was there too but it wasn't Glenn's idea and the album was K.K.'s fruitation of experimental ideas.

But now I want to hear an album with Rob and Glenn. It won't be better than 6 or 7 classic Priest albums but it can be better than the other 6 or 7 other Priest albums.

This next Priest album without K.K. will not be able to top Sad Wings Of Destiny,Stained Class,British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance,Defenders Of the Faith or Painkiller.

But it does have a chance at topping or pulling equal to all other Priest albums even without K.K. if the album turns out with all instant quality classics like the Painkiller album had done in 1990 in my opinion,but thats "if"...we will find out eventually next year.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM

they're gonna record new album with k.k.? there must have been some mayor issues and fights between k.k. and the rest of the band
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well,I see why your upset Cat. But to me it was much worse when Rob left Priest than K.K. leaving regaurdless if he was the founding member,Rob Glenn and Ian have been there since 1974.
Totally agree with you. When Rob left it was the end of the band because Metal God could't be replaced.

Quote:
We've heard what an album sounds like without Rob in the band with the 2 Ripper albums.
Those albums came in very bad time, mid 90's were disasters for most of the old bands who tried to update their sound. Also Rob's musical direction was quite different from traditional metal.

Quote:
We've heard what Nostradamus sounds like with that album being K.K.'s idea's,arrangements and major influence with Rob of course headlining the vocals and Glenn was there too but it wasn't Glenn's idea and the album was K.K.'s fruitation of experimental ideas.
When they anounced that next album would be inspired by Lochness from AOR. I was shocked because that track was horrible. Nostradamus would be good album if it was half of the lenght, so all the crap that made to album was left out. Production was better and orchestration should be bombastic, now it sounds like cheap sampler.

Quote:
But now I want to hear an album with Rob and Glenn. It won't be better than 6 or 7 classic Priest albums but it can be better than the other 6 or 7 other Priest albums.

This next Priest album without K.K. will not be able to top Sad Wings Of Destiny,Stained Class,British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance,Defenders Of the Faith or Painkiller.

But it does have a chance at topping or pulling equal to all other Priest albums even without K.K. if the album turns out with all instant quality classics like the Painkiller album had done in 1990 in my opinion,but thats "if"...we will find out eventually next year.

At this time when most of my heroes are in their 60's I'll take what they offer. Because in next ten years we would see alot of retirements.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon_747 View Post

Those albums came in very bad time, mid 90's were disasters for most of the old bands who tried to update their sound. Also Rob's musical direction was quite different from traditional metal.
This is very true particularly in Britain. It was before we all had internet and there was virtually no radio airplay for metal, and the supposedly metal magazines which were the main way of keeping up with the scene didn't help, they were pushing grunge and trendy rap/rock & "funk metal" while giving bad press to proper Heavy metal. Only the bands that stayed close to their roots and upped their game or were marketed well have come through really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon_747 View Post
At this time when most of my heroes are in their 60's I'll take what they offer. Because in next ten years we would see alot of retirements.
... They are going to leave big voids to fill too!! Likes of my 20 year old daughter and her mates who are into proper rock music are going up and down the land to watch bands I have been following or listening to since I was younger than them
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Rumour has it that there was a massive falling out with Rob over money. Allegedly Rob demanded 50% of the band's income. I can't see it being over a new album, the band was concentrating on the EPITAPH tour.

It must be very very bitter for KK to baulk on Priest's farewell tour. Plenty of band members don't get on (Jagger and Richards being the prime example), but they can bury the hatchet when it comes to performing live.

This makes me think that money had something to do with this split. What a shame. Not the best way a great band should finish off. Firstly a dreadful album followed by this mess.

I'l stick to Stained Class .
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 PM

really strange news,

What;s even moe strange is that next album, the only Priest album without K.K. Why did he left? what was the reason? were did it go wrong with the working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time.

Priest won't be the same without him and I have to admit that Priest's management is surely not the best out there in the past years. To be honest I think it's one of the worst (even though I don't know a thing of what happens behind the scenes)