Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

Just had a chance to watch the E4 bit so now il give my overall impression.
As has been said I don't think overall Saxon come out too bad, and certainly the program and Harvey did bring about a huge amount of publicity for the band they would otherwise not have had.
I think there are several things though just about how the how was edited and presented that are causing the hostility. Having seen the previous edition of the program it seems Harvey is making a big thing about how at the end he needs whoever it is to put on the performance of a lifetime. This framework meant he started by slagging of their performances which I think angers Saxon fans and obviously seemed to get them off on the wrong foot with Biff. The fact he tried to blame the Shef Wed thing on Saxon was also harsh and the general gormless portrayal of the rest of the band and the manager I doubt was a true reflection of what took place.
As a final point, that E4 thing appeared to be the worst edited show I have seen in ages. I wasn't there so i don't know how much it reflected reality but I would say not much! The guy kept saying he was going to speak to the quiet guys and then never did! He got as far as saying 'now lets have a word with the quiet guys' before some guy asked for Newcastle Utd tickets and then the show just ended!
That seemed a shame as obviously it would have been nice to see a better representation of what actually happened, but now it's aired I'm sure those who where actually there could fill us in on any details?

EDIT- as 3V17C has pointed out below, it seems I was mistaken about the E4 thing! Oh well!

Last edited by sheffieldsteel; 04-11-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAXONIZED View Post
Excuse me mate!! I started this thread, Who am I attacking? The thread title has been left open for people to air their views in which ever way they want.

Harvey G is a ................................ ??? Top promoter, stylish Icon or could go the other way in total w***er or a right bar-steward.
Ooops... now I appear to have offended a new friend....

That's not what I meant either...

Think I will give up and go to bed now...

(I wasn't suggesting the initial post was attacking... just some of the early responses... )
Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 AM

[QUOTE=sheffieldsteel;1713] The guy kept saying he was going to speak to the quiet guys and then never did! He got as far as saying 'now lets have a word with the quiet guys' before some guy asked for Newcastle Utd tickets and then the show just ended!
QUOTE]

he was going to speak to the QUIREBOYS - the geordie in the bandana was spike, their singer.

by the way i'm not a newbie here, just couldn't remember my old username etc as its been a while and i've had a smoke or two!

thought the programme was quite good entertainment - admittedly the football thing was totally cringeworthy - the guys just miming with their guitars was just wrong! the most annoying bit for me was the 'secret' gig thing and goldsmith leaking that The Cure were playing! WHY?! why on earth would he do that? personally i like the cure as much as i like alot of other bands, but many cure fans would think of metal as a laughing stock. i know he wanted to see saxon win some new fans, but why advertise a particular band like the cure? it would seem to me that he wanted saxon to fail, but due to their infectious live show, the songs and just the overall professionalism of a band like saxon they did of course win the audience over!

i also agree the spanish festival crowd was edited to make it look like there was alot less people there than there actually were.

while i'm here - www.livenloudrock.com
we do some saxon - they could've got us on that E4 show! bah!

peace

C
Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3V17C View Post

he was going to speak to the QUIREBOYS - the geordie in the bandana was spike, their singer.

C
well now I feel stupid..... oh well still would have been nice to hear from the rest of the band!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian 101 View Post
My view....

I think many of you need to wake up and smell the coffee....

Stop sucking up and pissing in the wind....

The programme wasn't awesome... but it gave the band massive coverage

Harvey Goldsmith is a genious at what he does and everything he said was true to a greater or lesser extent...

Aaaaaaagh! Although I haven't had a chance to watch the prog yet, I would like to most vigorously disassociate myself from the above comments (I am Scandinavian101 without a space -- that post was from Scandinavian 101 with a space!!). I'm fairly new to the forum, but is it OK to have user names as similar as this? Very confusing ... anyway, I'll take it up on another thread and get back here when I've had a chance to watch -- can't say I'm looking forward to it much though ...!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Haven't seen the E4 25min programme that took 4-5hrs of stop start filming to do but i knew that the man in the suit (Carl Leighton Pope) was going to been shown having a go at me and in general any saxon loving fan. BOOO HOOO i am gutted. Nah i get worse from my friends!!!.

Just won't to post something for you all to think about. Mr Poop, sorry POPE, Harvey & Bob Geldof all have a finger in each other's pie so to speak.

Harvey & Bob = Live Aid etc......
Bob ten alps TV who made the show for channel 4/E4
Pope who has Bob on his books as well as Right Said Fred and the great heavy metal band the 'Chipendales'.

Need i say more. A yes go on then. Pope obviously their as back up to Harvey as he expected some flack had (i think) a premeditated speach ready and was microphoned up, thus leaving the rest of us struggling to respond or have our say.

Another point was that he left soon after his rant. Job done (that's one you owe me harvey)

Ah well off to see the mighty SAXON in ROME soon (Cheers for the support, SPIKE)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Feel free to dissassociate yourself Scandinavian101...

As I stated they were 'My views'

Do you also wish to dissassociate yourself from the rest of my post that you chose to edit....

Quote:
Now before anyone starts slagging me off...

I am a huge Saxon fan... they were the first band I ever saw live

and I'm proud that I will be taking my 17 year old son to see them in London

which will also be his first ever band seen live.

I just feel that Saxon deserve to be as big as the likes of Iron Maiden

Long Live Saxon...!
You said yourself you hadn't even seen the programme so it is difficult to take a view surely

My point, albeit made somewhat sternly due to emotions running at the time, was that an expert in the field of music promotion was offering assistance to the band to increase their profile in the UK, something that the band said they wanted doing themselves....

the fact that there were differences in opinion is hardly surprising, but was not the end product sufficient justification for the actions....?

I simply implied that undieing support for Biff and the boys in itself does not do justice to the effort put in to aiding their cause

If you dissagree, such is your right as we live in a democracy....
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Feel free to dissassociate yourself Scandinavian101...

As I stated they were 'My views'

Do you also wish to dissassociate yourself from the rest of my post that you chose to edit....

You said yourself you hadn't even seen the programme so it is difficult to take a view surely

Er, no - I only wish to disassociate myself from the bit I quoted, which is why I quoted it.

I also said that I haven't watched yet, so deliberately didn't state any opinion on last night's programme itself and nowhere in my post attempted to 'take a view' on it. However, having seen previous episodes in the series (and as a member of the 'real world' outside an hour of Channel 4 programming - yes, really), I feel I am quite entitled to a view of Harvey Goldsmith based on those qualifications, which is why I wanted to distance myself from your view that he is a genius.

But you seem to be entirely missing the point: I didn't post in order to disagree with you, but to say that, as our usernames are practically identical (thanks ), it wasn't me saying those things, lest others should be confused ... or even care. (Although I don't spose anyone does, except me.)

Rest assured that when I have had a chance to watch, I will post my own views, which may or may not agree with some of the points you have already made.

However, I will now probably have to change my username, and as a two-viking-helmet household, that's what really upsets me. But that's a subject for another thread ...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian101 View Post
as our usernames are practically identical (thanks ), it wasn't me saying those things, lest others should be confused ... or even care. (Although I don't spose anyone does, except me.)
When I first read Scandinavian 101s post, I originally thought it was you Scandinavian101, it wasn't until you pointed out about the space inbetween the 101 did I realise that youse were 2 different people. It would be like someone else joining the forum and calling themselves Princess of the Night SPACE 747, that would totally confuse everyone, ESPECIALLY ME hehe!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of the Night747 View Post
When I first read Scandinavian 101s post, I originally thought it was you Scandinavian101, it wasn't until you pointed out about the space inbetween the 101 did I realise that youse were 2 different people. It would be like someone else joining the forum and calling themselves Princess of the Night SPACE 747, that would totally confuse everyone, ESPECIALLY ME hehe!!!

Hi Princess! Thanks for saying that -- I feel a bit better now. I thought I might be making a fuss about nothing (literally, as it's just a teensy space that's caused the trouble), but it is confusing, I think, especially on a board that has such a 'community' feel. On a huge forum like Digital Spy, it wouldn't be so much of a problem; on this board, it really doesn't take a sec to check the Members List and make sure the username you want to use won't cause confusion.

You're right, though, I was completely confused when I logged on this morning. I thought, 'I don't remember writing that Harvey Goldsmith is a genius' -- there's not that much alcohol in the world