Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of the Night747 View Post

I dont know what you mean by stop sucking up and pissing in the wind - what does that mean????
I mean for people just to slag off Harvey Goldsmith and just big up Biff for telling to fuck off is a bit lame...

I'm all for the band sticking up for their heritage

but the truth is they haven't had any exposure in the UK for donkeys years

However badly editted - the work Harvey has done has helped put Saxon back on the metal agenda

and to be fair... Biff is a little stuck in his ways and can be grumpy... as can we all - and why shouldn't he be - I'm not criticising him....

but Harvey was giving his honest opinion and trying to generate some emotion and crank things up a gear.. good for him too I say

let's not just blow smoke up the bands arse and slag anyone else off - just cos it's a Saxon forum

surely we can be a little more balanced and realistic
Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCANDINAVIAN 101
and I'm proud that I will be taking my 17 year old son to see them in London

which will also be his first ever band seen live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAXONATOR View Post
great choice ! see you there

I seriously hope so....

I can't wait...

and neither can by boy...

I have been drilling him with tracks from the setlist

Personally looking forward to the 80's classics I grew up with
Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseBloke View Post
I fully understand resistance to change, but as a much wiser man than me once said..

If you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll get what you always got.

If you keep on doing what you're doing, you never loose what you have got.

When you don't buy a lottery-lot, you may not have the chance of winning the jackpot, but you always have your're own mony in the wallet after the lotery..
Old 04-11-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseBloke View Post
Folks

I think a few people may be missing the point here.

I watched the programme as an old Saxon fan who has lost touch with the band over the last 10 or 20 years.

Whilst Harvey Goldsmith was critical at various points if you listen to everything he said he was also very respectful and supportive of the band. He also said a few times that he thought they deserved a much higher level of success than they are currently enjoying, certainly in Britain (I personally think he was employing a well known management technique of criticising to push them into performing at an even higher level than they were).

Now, the point of the programme was to bring Harvey in to improve that situation.

The only way a situation is going to alter is to CHANGE something or things.

As far as I could see, virtually everything that Harvey suggested and initiated had the desired effect of raising the band's profile, getting the single played on the radio,and selling more tickets to the Sheffield show (even the football stadium stunt although embarrasing helped with publicity for this).

I couldn't believe how resistant Biff was to everything that HG suggested. The fact that Harvey is not a musician or a songwriter is completely irrelevant. What he is is a phenomenally successful businessman who has a very successful track record of promoting bands over many, many years.

I don't understand what Biff expected him to do?

Biff said that he agreed to do the show to raise the profile/success of the band in Britain and then didn't appear to want to change anything? What was he expecting HG to do then?

I think HG did a good job for Saxon. I think Biff also thought that by the end of the show.

I fully understand resistance to change, but as a much wiser man than me once said..

If you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll get what you always got.

The trouble is that clearly is not good for 'Saxon - The Business'.

If there is anyone who came out badly from the show then it was the bands Manager, Thomas. he looked completely out of his depth throughout the whole thing. If I was in the band I know which one of the two I would rather have working for me!

BTW Hello all. Happy to be here!
My point exactly................ I couldn't agree more!

Well said!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

I still love the way Harvey tries to sound like he's come up with a novel new idea........like just before the Sheffield gig when he said "Now all they have to do is go out there & make it work"...........what d'you mean Harvey, go onstage & give it 100% just like they always have done before? Wow, that's such a brilliant idea I wish I'd thought of it

Overall I think the band came over very well in both the Channel 4 docu & the E4 followup, which was better edited than I thought it would be (Thank the lord they decided NOT to subject us to Mrs Goldsmith's appearance).

A positive result for Saxon & I raise (yet another) glass to their continued success!!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

Oh yeah, nice one OldWiseBloke, and welcome aboard. Just HOW old would you be? (hopefully older than me................)

Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavycelli View Post
If you keep on doing what you're doing, you never loose what you have got.
Well the trouble is you do. Fans will gradually fall away at the edges (people like me) and these people will not be replaced by new people.

Ultimately bad for business....
Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 AM

[QUOTE=OldWiseBloke;1659]If there is anyone who came out badly from the show then it was the bands Manager, Thomas. he looked completely out of his depth throughout the whole thing. If I was in the band I know which one of the two I would rather have working for me!QUOTE)

Yeah the channel 4 prog painted Thomas in a bad way, which is total crap. Lets not forget Thomas runs Wacken, so he is no mug. It might have looked 'good' in the eyes of channel 4 to make Thomas out to be like this, but at the end of the day they are painting a picture of someone which is deliberately false. Channel 4 followed Saxon around for 6 months, so they know only too well that Thomas is not like that at all. So why do that to someone? Just to make a programme look 'good'? I'm sure Thomas has got big enough shoulders to brush it all off. But if that happened to me I wouldn't be impress at all. I think that is quite a hurtful thing to do to someone, to deliberately make them appear different from what they really are like.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 AM

I'm not sucking up to Saxon cos this is the Saxon forum - I certainly dont need to suck up to Biff or Saxon and I've been saying the exact same things on another couple of forums that have got bugger all to do with Saxon. I thought it was great that Biff told Harvey exactly what he thought of him and didn't just bow down to his every friggin command like probably most folk around him do.

And Saxon might not have had much exposure in the UK over the past few years, but I can assure you, the last 4 or 5 Saxon concerts that I've been to, each time I see them, they are playing at bigger venues each time, so they were getting plenty more fans attending concerts before Goldsmith came on the scene. Goldsmith hasn't saved Saxon's career because Saxon were on an upward trend anyway without Harvey Goldsmith's intervention..

Anyway I'm seeing Saxon at Glasgow Garage which is a lot bigger venue than last year's Renfrew Ferry, so it will be interesting to see if this programme helps Saxon sell more tickets for the concert.

But as I've said before Biff said himself that he didn't want Saxon's image changed or their music changed, so what really was teh point in agreeing to do this television programme. I dont understand.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy Phil View Post
Oh yeah, nice one OldWiseBloke, and welcome aboard. Just HOW old would you be? (hopefully older than me................)
Ha ha! Old enough to remember a certain band called Saxon supporting a band with a drummer by the name of Philthy Phil back at Hammersmith Odeon in 1979 I believe!

Errr.....that makes me 41 at last count!