Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2016, 03:43 PM

I like lofi production on thrash albums. And yes the 80s stuff had that thinner rawer production of it's time that I like. To me on this it' not the over all production that I dislike it just sounds a bit by numbers going through the motions. The drums to me sound lifeless and the guitar more like something off DM. I would just prefer the guitars to have a bit more cut\edge but then they haven't had for years. The new testament track is much more enjoyable to me.

As for production I like what working with Andy Sneap has done for Saxon on the last couple of albums. Some people probably don't like it much.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:26 AM

I hear what your sayin' dude.....it's just that todays day and age these days ...metal fans have just got SOOOOOOOOOOOO picky...nit picky about the SOUND of everything.... I just cant relate anymore. I get it that even in the p past there have been records with under par quality production...but its ....idk man........the new Metallica track Hardwired made me SMILE for the first time since 1988.....

So I guess I just cant listen THAT closely to these minor details(Im sure they are major for you...it's all good man thumbs up )....the new song looks like a duck,sounds like a duck.....to me it sounds like Damage Inc. And Blackened big time. I cant hear the DM tone in the guitars and Lar's drums sound full of life to me...the first since 88'. I guess we all just hear things dufferently. I LOVE the RAW production on Judas Priest's Redeemer Of Souls....it's a 'JAM'......not rocket science.

It doesnt need to be PAINKILLER production....it's more like Screaming For Vengeance -like if anything. Anyways...you have to at least admit that it's the best thing Metallica has done 1988 right?

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 09-09-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM

I probably need to give it some more effort. I guess I've been switched off to metallica for years too many false starts. I remember reading about st anger it said it was going to be fast & raw more like the old stuff - sadly it was rather weak. I later read about a an interview with bob rock about recording it. He said he went to walmart and bought cheap mics (10$ or 20$) and tried to capture different sounds. At that stage they where in one of the most high tech studios in the world. So why not use the best kit to get good sound or go the other way to an old analogue studio to try and capture an older style sound.

I tend to enjoy more recent output by Testament, Death Angel and Overkill. Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth have been patchy in comparison to me.

Give the new Testament track a spin or the last death angel albums.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Oh dude...I freakin hate Metallica don't get me wrong...I first got into them in 84' when I first heard Ride The Lightning,saw them in 86' in Seattle Wa here in the states...

We all scoffed at them for putting the "One" video out for MTV off AJFA album when Cliff and them said they'd never do a video 2 years before.. so its always been 82' -87' era for me back then...

Once the Black album came out,it sucked SO MUCH that it would of taken a few more elite old school albums to make up for it and stay in thier zone... But instead we got "Load" and then "Re-Load" ... They sucked so much that I look at And Justice For All and think jeeze,compared to everything that came after,makes AJFA look "not so bad" ....lol.

But going back to the new track Hardwired, no I won't be buying the new album either but as I said...its the first time Metallica made a lot of us smile since 1988.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM

I quite like the "Black Album", and the two that followed, after that, eh...
Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 AM

I like it. It has that early Metallica vibe - Marshall Amps cranked to 11!
Old 09-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Another perspective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=N4pj7RByIeA
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Another great song from my favourite Metal band, all formats of the album have been duly ordered.

Sick and tired of all the haters who have nothing better to do in their sorry ass lives than to get out of bed every single day and post something negative about Metallica.

I see it all over Facebook, Blabbermouth etc...and it's always the same people and same dumbass comments, "Metallica sold out with the Black Album!", "Metallica aren't Thrash anymore!", "Their production is shit!" blah blah blah.

Metallica stopped being a Thrash band in 1990, since then they've been a great Metal band, they would probably claim they never were a Thrash band to begin with, in fact I've seen Lars say it, he says they are Metallica and as such aren't tied to any genre of Metal.

You can't please some people, I mean all those out there who don't like Metallica anymore, what exactly is it you want them to do for you to like their music?

They will never make another Ride The Lightning, get over it, I wouldn't want them to, that would just be boring.

I did lose touch with Metallica from the Black album up til St. Anger would you believe and when I heard St. Anger (minus the snaredrum sound), I got it straight away, I loved the heavy sludginess of it.

I loved the intense anger and dark connotations of the lyrics, some people will say that the album sounds like a band in turmoil that aren't sure what they are doing anymore but that's the beauty of it.

I even love the Black Album, Load & Reload now and I hated them before, the production on Reload is fabulous, big heavy in your face drumsound.

Yeah people are saying the new Metallica track is a by numbers track but would would you prefer, another track like Nothing Else Matters (which I detest), another Sad But True (bores me)?

My only gripe with Metallica (apart from the fact they don't and never have played Prince Charming live), is the time it takes to release albums.

They're in their 50's now and family men so probably not many years left in the band, so release a few more albums.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 PM

New song /video Moth into Flame

https://youtu.be/1iprubvCfdM
Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 AM

For me this is much better than the first track its really pretty good.