Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Actually I think the album was recorded over 1989/90. It's called "Greatest Hits Live" 1st 10 yrs. It's quite hard to pick up these days I understand.
I have the original Greatest Hits Live on CD and VHS. It has been re-released and re-packaged on DVD and CD as "Live Legends", but the packing is not as good as it was.

I think Destiny is a very under-rated Saxon album. I know there are too many keyboards on it, but there are some excellent songs on there like SOS, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Jericho Siren and Red Alert. I bet they sounded great live!

Also, I think some of the great Paul Quinn's best guitar solos can be heard on tracks like Ride Like The Wind, the otherwise sh*te I Can't Wait Anymore, and SOS.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Actually I think the album was recorded over 1989/90. It's called "Greatest Hits Live" 1st 10 yrs. It's quite hard to pick up these days I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Quinn's Bandana View Post
I have the original Greatest Hits Live on CD and VHS. It has been re-released and re-packaged on DVD and CD as "Live Legends", but the packing is not as good as it was.
I bit more info on this live album & video:

It was recorded in 1989. It wasn't a normal gig as such, but a specially filmed concert, hosted at Central Television Studios (now known as 'King's Meadow Campus', and previously 'East Midlands Television Centre' and 'Carlton Studios') in Nottingham. My mate's dad was catering manager at Central TV, so a bunch of us got free tickets. Obviously, I was already a mad Saxon fan, but a couple of others who came along were converted that night!
Clever camera angles make it look like the crowd is much bigger than it was (due to limited space in the TV studio).
There was a special guest appearance by John Parr (he of 'St. Elmo's Fire' fame) for 'Back on the Streets'.

Another time, I saw Hawkwind there under similar circumstances.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:26 PM

As i remember this 'Destiny'-Tour i saw them in the 'Musikzirkus' in Oberhausen/Germany with round about 150 other people, that means there was no big crowd this night...
But the show and the power from the stage was amazing, in my memory this will be one of my favourite Saxon-gigs ever!!!
Was there with some friends and we have had a lot of fun like all the other dudes on the stage and downstairs...

See ya on the road, hmthunder
Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 AM

Default Destiny tour LAmour Brooklyn NY 1988

Lamour 1988 real cold rain winter kept the crowd away, but that's what the DJ's said... I remember vividly driving around Bay Ridge looking for parking. WCWP radio ruled and I answered phones for the station and the 88th caller got tickets and it took 2 minutes to get a winner I asked my brother Doug to call 5 minutes early so I put him on hold and wala - we had a winner. Sorry rest of you... Doug and I got in with library cards for ID and for $3 we got some Budweiser cans at the bar. College budget that was a lot at the time and with our 110 instamatic camera we got to see Hurricane opening - not sure if Doug Aldrich was there but didn't know it at the time. Saxon was our band to see but honestly in 1988 Destiny there were more people working at the club than fans. Sorry to blind the band with 9-volt battery camera and film rewind but..... there wasn't many people behind us. That was 30 years ago. Today we have to go to BB Kings 42nd Street to see Saxon every 3 years ... in the back row because 1000 other people get there first and they know the words to Battering Ram and Killing Ground. When Saxon plays Motorcycle Man the 20 years olds get quiet.... ok here's some pics.....

Happy 4th
Old 07-02-2016, 07:09 AM

Saxon198801.jpg
Saxon198802.jpg
Saxon198803.jpg
Saxon198804.jpg
Saxon198805.jpg
Saxon198806.jpg
Saxon198807.jpg
Saxon198808.jpg
Saxon198809.jpg
Saxon198810.jpg
Saxon198811.jpg
Saxon198812.jpg
Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 AM

Lamour 1988 real cold rain winter kept the crowd away, but that's what the DJ's said... I remember vividly driving around Bay Ridge looking for parking. WCWP radio ruled and I answered phones for the station and the 88th caller got tickets and it took 2 minutes to get a winner I asked my brother Doug to call 5 minutes early so I put him on hold and wala - we had a winner. Sorry rest of you... Doug and I got in with library cards for ID and for $3 we got some Budweiser cans at the bar. College budget that was a lot at the time and with our 110 instamatic camera we got to see Hurricane opening - not sure if Doug Aldrich was there but didn't know it at the time. Saxon was our band to see but honestly in 1988 Destiny there were more people working at the club than fans. Sorry to blind the band with 9-volt battery camera and film rewind but..... there wasn't many people behind us. That was 30 years ago. Today we have to go to BB Kings 42nd Street to see Saxon every 3 years ... in the back row because 1000 other people get there first and they know the words to Battering Ram and Killing Ground. When Saxon plays Motorcycle Man the 20 years olds get quiet.... ok here's some pics.....

Happy 4th
Old 07-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Talking

Wow!! Cheers for posting some great pics and telling your story about the gig!

Pictures are great! Paul and Biff look so young. Thanks again mate!!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
I bit more info on this live album & video:

It was recorded in 1989. It wasn't a normal gig as such, but a specially filmed concert, hosted at Central Television Studios (now known as 'King's Meadow Campus', and previously 'East Midlands Television Centre' and 'Carlton Studios') in Nottingham. My mate's dad was catering manager at Central TV, so a bunch of us got free tickets. Obviously, I was already a mad Saxon fan, but a couple of others who came along were converted that night!
Clever camera angles make it look like the crowd is much bigger than it was (due to limited space in the TV studio).
There was a special guest appearance by John Parr (he of 'St. Elmo's Fire' fame) for 'Back on the Streets'.

This was from the "Destiny Tour", and the only song from that lp on here is the cover track?