Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Madrid, 2007-03-23

I've just come from another stunning Saxon show, and here's a short review:
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes)

The show took place in a hall called Macumba, at Chamartín train station, in Madrid.
Masterplan opened the show. I arrived late due to transport problems, and just got to see Terrana's drum solo.

Saxon were punctual. They opened with 'State of grace', and the setlist was basically the same they've played in this tour.
Sound was very poor in the beginning, growing better to finish with a fairly good sound. (I' ve seen a lot of shows in this venue and, except one from Dio, it has never sounded really good).

About the show, some snippets:
. Biff's voice was great! I've seen them regularly in the last years, and probably this is the time he has better sung.
. Paul Quinn was, as always, fantastic. And Doug highlighted as I haven't seen him before. About Nibbs (pure energy) and Nigel (what a drummer!) there's nothing left to say, they were great.
. From the setlist, I would like to remark some songs:
- 'Great white buffalo' (Happily recovered for this tour!)
- 'Red star falling' (this one sounds incredibly, live)
- 'Requiem' (one of my favourites, sung along by the crowd, one of the highlights)
- I've got to rock (introduced as the new single, what strength!)
- Princess of the night, Crusader, Denim & leather (these were a party, everybody singing and jumping)
- Atila the hun, Power & the glory (this one was 'revisited', I really enjoyed this version), etc.
- Probably the "less better" was the medley 'Dallas 1pm/747 (Strangers in the night)/And the band plays on' (they didn't bright, something didn't sound as it should. Maybe an effect on Paul's guitar?)
(I edit the post to put one more song they played and I had forgotten) :
- Witchfinder general (I haven't seen it setlisted in other shows)

Macumba was packed (though I think there was no sold-out), and people was crazy, really a party (as everytime Saxon plays in Spain ). You just had to see the smiling faces when the show was over (a real meter of how it's been)

And this is all. I was going to see them today in Bergara, but it's been snowing and there's a mountain pass that will surely be closed, so I'll have to wait for the next time.

Here are some shots from the show (quality is bad, as I took them with the mobile), and the ticket, for the collectors.

Cheers!

Last edited by Edumalavida; 03-25-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 PM

And the rest:

One amusing spot I forgot to tell:
While Biff was tearing the setlist (after saying, as he uses to do in Spain, "Grandes cojones Espaņa" -something like "Big balls Spain"-) and pretending to eat it, he was introducing or talking about someone, and tried to keep talking with the setlist inside the mouth. Then he had a fit of laughter (as he heard himself) and began to choke and spat the paper out still laughing. It was really funny!

Last edited by Edumalavida; 03-25-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Great review - thanks !!! What a ticket ! I shredded mine by mistake (before the gig) and Inken of Metaltix saved the day with a letter to let me through the Security. However, the Spanish tickets are a work of art !!!

Cheers,

Goss.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSS View Post
However, the Spanish tickets are a work of art !!!
I've been told so by friends outside Spain. Even the worst b/w spanish tickets use to have a photo of the group. I'll post some of them in the future.

And glad to read you finally attended that show!

Last edited by Edumalavida; 03-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:48 PM

many thx to inform us about gigs on other edges of europe !!!

on the old forum the infos we got were very rare so keep going

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSS View Post
I shredded mine by mistake
feel free to tell us the story again you dumb&%$/§%&$ mother/%$(%&

A LIFE WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO LIFE
MUSIC WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO MUSIC
MEMORIES WITHOUT MUSIC IS NO LIFE

- TAKE CARE: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU -
I WILL REMEMBER !!!

Last edited by SAXONATOR; 03-24-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM

Nice review Edumalavida. And wow, what a ticket! How comes all the tickets over here are dead boring! The only nice Saxon ticket I have ever had was the one from the Brussels show a few years back.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 03-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Hi!

Mostly I agree with Edumalavida (vaya nombre tío, je, je). It was an amazing show. Macumba wasnīt sold out but promoters told me 1550/1800 more or less much more than on "Lionheart" tour and with a far better stage. Saxon music has been spread in Spain again I guess īcause there was a lot of young people in the first rows that never saw the band before.

"Requiem" was one the highlights. People got crazy with that song, chanting, clapping their hands...

They opted for not playing songs from "Innocence..." "Rock the nations" and "Destiny" that were part on "Lionheart" set list. I missed "Broken heroes" and (oopss... I confess!) "Ride like the wind" (one of the spaniards fans favourite) but with "Requiem", "Great white buffalo" and "travellers in time" they gave us the usual portion of "not much played live" songs.

I agree too with Edumalavida in relation to what he says about "dallas 1 p.m." but, in my opinion, "747" was another highlight but maybe I say that īcause itīs my favourite Saxon tune.

Every Saxon headlining tour is brilliant and like I always try to explain to my friends, there isnīt a band with that passion, attitude and respect for their fans. Another contemporaries from the same country could learn. Itīs obvious you always have to play any essential but it exists life after, for instante, "Wrathchild", "Can I play with madness", "2 minutes 2 midnight" or "fear of the dark".

Saxon proves every gig and tour they can susprise with their set lists.

Horns up!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Nice ticket with awesome artwork. If I compare it with my ticket from Eventim (bought online in Germany)
Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 PM

Hello Marco (and everybody)!

One amusing spot I forgot to tell:
While Biff was tearing the setlist (after saying, as he uses to do in Spain, "Grandes cojones Espaņa" -something like "Big balls Spain"-) and pretending to eat it, he was introducing or talking about someone, and tried to keep talking with the setlist inside the mouth. Then he had a fit of laughter (as he heard himself) and began to choke and spat the paper out still laughing. It was really funny!

And Marco, it's a pity, as 'And the bands played on' is my favourite number!

Last edited by Edumalavida; 03-25-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM

didnīt they play "conquistador" ?

well, itīs the spanish crusader song

A LIFE WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO LIFE
MUSIC WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO MUSIC
MEMORIES WITHOUT MUSIC IS NO LIFE

- TAKE CARE: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU -
I WILL REMEMBER !!!