Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Thoughts on Call To Arms

To everyone who is lucky enough to already have the album, I was just wondering what your thoughts on it were?

Having only had it a few hours I can say the word awesome is not even good enough! From start to finish all the songs are really strong and the album is really well produced. The art work is brilliant and the Donington disc is very clear. The Don Airey bits are excellent and also the orchestral version of Call To Arms really works so can't wait for them to play live with one.

So thanks again Saxon you can tell a lot of hard work has been put into this album and it defiantly pays off!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 PM

it's a great album alot better than what i expected going back to their roots more and way more rocking than anything they've done in a long time. This could have easily been put out in 1985. It has that mid 80's feel to it. I loved Into The Labyrinth but this has the old Saxon feel to it. Now if they'd just tour the U.S. dammit!...I'm 41 and never seen them I've been into them since 84!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM

It is a superb album, indeed!

I have my gripe with some of the songs, though.

Back in '79 - while it is really strong in its own right - can't compare with Denim and Leather at all and Mists of Avalon is a tad weaker than Lionheart. This is just my opinion so far, might change over the next few days

No Rest For The Wicked doesn't do anything for me so far.

Afterburner is cool but it's also pretty much a new Need For Speed.

That being said, I agree about the production, it's pretty raw and fits Saxon for the most part. Hammer, Surviving, Ballad, Chasing, Call to Arms, all absolutely BRILLIANT!

On the whole, I'd rate the album a 9/10, i.e. I really love the album so far, but it's not the perfect 10 I thought it would be after I had heard Hammer and Surviving Against The Odds.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasselhoff2011 View Post
it's a great album alot better than what i expected going back to their roots more and way more rocking than anything they've done in a long time. This could have easily been put out in 1985. It has that mid 80's feel to it. I loved Into The Labyrinth but this has the old Saxon feel to it. Now if they'd just tour the U.S. dammit!...I'm 41 and never seen them I've been into them since 84!!!
Yeah, very much a rock album!

I wish you luck and hope you get to see them soon!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
It is a superb album, indeed!

I have my gripe with some of the songs, though.

Back in '79 - while it is really strong in its own right - can't compare with Denim and Leather at all and Mists of Avalon is a tad weaker than Lionheart. This is just my opinion so far, might change over the next few days

No Rest For The Wicked doesn't do anything for me so far.

Afterburner is cool but it's also pretty much a new Need For Speed.

That being said, I agree about the production, it's pretty raw and fits Saxon for the most part. Hammer, Surviving, Ballad, Chasing, Call to Arms, all absolutely BRILLIANT!

On the whole, I'd rate the album a 9/10, i.e. I really love the album so far, but it's not the perfect 10 I thought it would be after I had heard Hammer and Surviving Against The Odds.
The main thing is that they are still on top of there game, most bands who have been going for decades just throw albums together in weeks and just put it out for extra money. I think the last AC/DC album was done in 6 weeks, I'll let them off though it wasn't bad.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 AM

After three back-to-back listens, I'd say that as a complete package, it is their best album of recent years, because everything works out so well, it's a great mix of the different Saxon sounds; rock and roll, all-out metal, darker sounds (like on Metalhead), more melodic fantasy-type, epic, it's all there and blended together really well.

And yes, Saxon are better than ever! The sheer joy and exuberance they exhibit on stage is just brilliant!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 AM

I have listened to it on repeat about ten times today....

What a fantastic album, best Saxon album in a long long time.

Back in 79 is one of the best songs I have ever heard.

Other mentions for Hammer Of The Gods, Call To Arms, Chasing The Bullet and Afterburner.

I can't stop playing the album, really really good.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:18 AM

Sounding good so far!
Only problem is that Im up to the third song and I've already heard the lyrics 'backs to the wall' in 2

That aside, sounding great
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM

Got my hands on it last night and listened to it all night at work.Bloody cracking album,not a duff track on it.My only complaint is its too short!!! asp as you get the same song (Call to Arms)twice all be it a different version.I think the orchestral version is absolutely epic sounding.They should have made this the main version and put the band version on itunes instead of Dirty Double Dealer.Would love to hear some of Saxons classic epic songs such as The Eagle Has Landed,Broken Heroes,or Frozen Rainbow given the orchestral treatment. Really a great album though,the lads should be proud of it.

Last edited by midnightrider; 06-04-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 AM

My copy will arrive on Monday but from listening to the songs again and again on youtube I can tell that it is a brilliant album! With both metal and rock moments it sums it all to a great package! Only no rest for the wicked hasn't grown in me so far but the rest are amazing.