Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkTexas View Post
Are you still getting your download on Oct. 30th ?
I think so, it has the "AutoRip" statement on the page for the limited edition, but I guess I'll tell you for sure tomorrow if I got it or not
Old 10-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkTexas View Post
Are you still getting your download on Oct. 30th ?
Yep, I got my digital copy of the album today, will FINALLY get to listen to it later today!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:31 PM

I have it... and now I gonna listen full...review later..
Old 10-31-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed1015 View Post
Yes! got an email yesterday too.
Not had chance to send the shirt back yet though.
Received my XL t-shirt today, plus a couple of 'Battering Ram' stickers.

Many thanks to UDR for sorting it out.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 PM

Saxon a band that never disappoints, maybe ones in 36 years, but thats forgiven (Synth in Destiny)..A drummer in hospital, so many things to do, concerts, writing a new album not easy..Was it a good moment to put out a new album? Should they have waited a few months. NO and Yes.. No, because a song like Queen of hearts should have contained a solo. (Maybe a good competition on the Saxon Board: Who writes the missing guitar solo on Queen of Hearts? Who is able to do it, sent in your solo, - something like that-,) Iíve said it on the board already: a Saxon song without a solo, is like a woman without a vagina. YES because when you have so much briljant songs, why wait? Of course I would have prefered other songs than Kingdom of the Cross, Three sheet to the wind, What this concerns maybe i should have waited a few months and add two more songs with the sound of Top of the world or Battering ram.. Destroyer etc.. Iím happy my least fav songs are ed the end, and it programms easier for me, this album has for me 9 songs instead of eleven. Its for me a good album, and I think Saxon is always good, this time even better..Good production. Texts are best. I play this CD more than the previous ones. What impresses me too is that it consumes very easily, it sticks quick in memory and the soloís are logically, they are functional.. and nice, I whistle them, a good sign, worse soloís you never hear me whistle..Weird this album is 50 minutes, the previous ones shorter, but its like this Battering Ram CD lasts for the feeling 20 minutes longer, but I think its because that man is constantly reading the texts in Kingdom of the Cross (that gets boring its like I am at a funeral, it makes me feel depressed.. The devils Footprint not, it exites me..)

Battering Ram : 10 Clear! Splendid song, good soloís. Doug and Paul gave something extra on this album. Much better than on some songs on other albums.
The Devils Footprint : 10 Interesting lyrics. Variation in it. Like that high voice on from 2min.18 sec , followed by a nerve thrilling solo from Doug. Man what can he play. What I like on this album, that I hear in memmory The unleash the Beast album. One of my favorites, besides Wheels of Steel and Sttrong Arm of the Law.
Queen of Hearts: 6,5 On the board I said, it is an irritating intro,..but now I hear it in between songs it sounds better,..the beginning sounds good, nice atmosphere ..I like that choir underneath. At 2 min 44 for me it sinks in..at 3 min.36 I dont like the screaming..A bit Child in Time, but in this song more like a miscarriage..scream it doest fit, my humble opinion..Others may thing in another way of course..I prefer screams like in Great White Buffelo..
Destroyer : 10 For me the Electric Eye/Painkiller Judas Priest in a Saxon way. 1.min 20 sec- 1min 33 sec super ,, super it hooks good, it reminds so very well in memory..splendid duo solo , nice combination of both guitarplayers..Guns and Roses kinde like solo.super(Music is memory) nice that variation in the songs Yes there is more variation in this album..The ending on some songs are less abrupt, surprising..and tempo is good, during whole cd..its more speed..I like that..
Hard and Fast: 9,0 At 1min. 05 sec til 1 min 10 sec.. that guitar sounds reminds me of Innosence is no excuse song (Raise some hell) On 1 min 45 sec Maiden like,.. super soloís thats the way I like Saxon soloís , compliments to Doug and Paul..yes you did sound very good..
Eye of the Storm: 7,0 Solo 1min 58, 2 min 13 sec.. I like that..a bit Killing Ground like in Dargagons Lair Metalhead album sound....well done..only 15 seconds but if it had missed on the album or in this song I would have taken of 0,5 points..So important such short parts often underrated in reviews..
Stand your ground: 10 At 1.min 40sec - 1.min 55sec , I hear underneath the guitar solo, Metallica's Helpless song..super!nice that Moog Synth, the one who played that has taste, really its a nice relaxing futuristic sound- part on this song 2min 12- 2 min 55 that counts the same fo backing vocals. Splendid soloís Guitar players gave much, much more extraís on this album.. it fitted better..
Top of the World: 9 Super intro..very good soloís
To the End: 8 Good song at 3 min 28 sec - 4min 15 you have this softer part, but I like it very much.. so it isnt that i dont like softer parts in Saxon..on the contrary.. Thats in contrast with the softness in Kingdom of the Cross..it can be too soft..I see Saxon as nasi with sambal Oelek and not with Sugar in it..it must at least have balls in it..like in a good soup..
Kingdom of the Cross: 5 ( Its not even that bad.., but when I buy Saxon i dont have this in mind.. The storyteller, does that man talk to his wife too in real life? *lol* succes with relation ! On The Devils footprint it sounds good, because it fitts in the song.like Maidens 666 Number of the Beast..
Three sheets to the wind: 5 This is for me too much a filler..I wished both two songs were replaced by songs I rewarded with a 9,0- 10,00 score..
Score: 8,14
Six best songs for me: Battering Ram, The Devils Footprint, Destroyer, Hard and Fast, Top of the world, Stand Your ground.

Saxon has delivered an 8,14/10 album what songs concerns , but if I take of the last two songs, so just 9 songs, it gives for me the album a 9/10 album..Nigel Glockler plays so good on this album..also there variation in the drumming. Compliments how you recover, but never underate such things, take rest , when your body needs it.. Free off with Christmass? NO your in a Rockband.shit...Nibbs super bassing.. Not that iím fond of that Synth stuff in Kingdom of the Cross, but its nice to have one in the band that plays better synth than on destiny..Compliments to Doug, you gave me super soloís and Paul compliment for To the End Solo, very sweet.. Biff thanx you sing as reborn! Good texts, I read them ..I like those not-rubbish tekst.. Its real meant preformed, at least that sounds like it to me.... I hear too much rubbish tekst/lyrics in other bands, like its not really meant, zu verpflichtet..Saxon is super in that. Compliments to the producer..he makes variation in it, surprising endings of songs and he temporises songs..on other album it was already there, but now it is complete grown up.. it has all ingredients from the Old School Saxon songs in it..i was on sometimes in the 80ís again well done.. you give the fans so much, you deserve a year vacation.. really meant..
To end one thing..I had to wait 2 weeks for cd, where others had it already..not logical.. but its nice that Saxon put it on Spotify.. but I would say Sporify ok, but not so quick after release.. if people know that, they say next time: we dont buy, but we listen on Spotify.. of course from friends you dont steal.. but sometimes in economic worse times even that can happen..

Last edited by Heavycelli; 11-06-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:57 PM

recently I watched a Dad's army episode called The big Parade.. It made me immediately think of the Battereing Ram Album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjoxh2S47tg

From 11 min.48 seconds .. The most funny part Godfrey saying at 12 min 38 sec : Ow Dear, it looks awfully fearce.. and than you see the Ram.. I find it so good, when I think about England I Always think about Saxon and Dad's Army Nice for a promotion vid.. this scene and then the cover of CD Battering Ram

Last edited by Heavycelli; 11-06-2015 at 04:00 PM.