Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Bosnian Witchfinder's Avatar
Bosnian Witchfinder Bosnian Witchfinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 824
Default Judas Priest and Saxon, Hammersmith

Another fine set from the lads in Saxon, sound was not perfect (as for all support bands) but they still sounded great.

Playing 20,000ft was a great touch as its a fantastic live song and show's how ahead of everyone else they were when they wrote that song 32 years ago!

As openers to Priest they fared really well, I saw Whitesnake open for Priest last summer and even they were blown off stage by Priest. Priest last night was absolutely spot on, 2h20mins of hit after hit, unbelievably good. Halford can't quite hit every high note, but he still sounds amazing whatever octave he sings in.

A great night. Sad that there wont be many more occasions like this
__________________
new band! www.myspace.com/primitaiofficial
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Live to rock 747 Live to rock 747 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: York,north yorkshire
Posts: 408
Send a message via AIM to Live to rock 747
Default

Did saxon get a good reception from the priest fans, witchfinder
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
skidmetsfan's Avatar
skidmetsfan skidmetsfan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live to rock 747 View Post
Did saxon get a good reception from the priest fans, witchfinder
Did Priest get a good reception from the SAXON fans?
__________________
http://skidroweradio.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
XRWoody's Avatar
XRWoody XRWoody is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 950
Default

I thought Saxon were a very good support band. But we all know that Saxon are a lot better than the support slot on Saturday night, we know that Saxon can play and sound like Priest did.

There was loads of enthusiasm for Saxon up in the balcony anyway

Both bands were great but it has to be acknowledged that Priest, as the "main" band, had the better sound ...... on the night.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Fingers's Avatar
Fingers Fingers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Angmering
Posts: 3,191
Default

Saxon Set List - Hammersmith Sat 26th May 2012

Heavy Metal Thunder
Hammer of the Gods
Power & the Glory
Got to Rock to Stay Alive
20,000 Feet
Crusader
747
Denim & Leather
Wheels of Steel
Princess of the Night

Was a great support slot, knocking that amount of songs out in the alloted time is some going. Crowd reaction from the front to the back and from what I could see upstairs was fantastic with great interaction, clapping and singing along like it was a Saxon headline show. To my eye and from what I saw easily as many Saxon T-shirts on display in the crowd as Priest as well.

What does irritate me is everyone accepting that supports bands don't get as good a sound as the headline act. Why as fans should that be accepted, ticket prices aren't cheap and you pay to see a show, to my mind that includes ALL bands

As far as Priest go, third time I've seen them, good show, good sound and Halfords voice was better than I expected. But to my mind they are too polished too choreographed. I don't understand the whole band leaving the stage after almost every song either to my mind it made the gig lose momentum.

All in though a great gig , great day catching up with mates and fellow forumers, here's to the next one
__________________
WE WILL REMEMBER

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
747rick's Avatar
747rick 747rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wrexham, Wales
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Saxon Set List - Hammersmith Sat 26th May 2012

Heavy Metal Thunder
Hammer of the Gods
Power & the Glory
Got to Rock to Stay Alive
20,000 Feet
Crusader
747
Denim & Leather
Wheels of Steel
Princess of the Night

Was a great support slot, knocking that amount of songs out in the alloted time is some going. Crowd reaction from the front to the back and from what I could see upstairs was fantastic with great interaction, clapping and singing along like it was a Saxon headline show. To my eye and from what I saw easily as many Saxon T-shirts on display in the crowd as Priest as well.

What does irritate me is everyone accepting that supports bands don't get as good a sound as the headline act. Why as fans should that be accepted, ticket prices aren't cheap and you pay to see a show, to my mind that includes ALL bands

As far as Priest go, third time I've seen them, good show, good sound and Halfords voice was better than I expected. But to my mind they are too polished too choreographed. I don't understand the whole band leaving the stage after almost every song either to my mind it made the gig lose momentum.

All in though a great gig , great day catching up with mates and fellow forumers, here's to the next one
Thanks for the review mate, that is some going, they certainly don't hang about do they It's also great to hear they got a fantastic reception. I still live in hope that they'll be able to headline Hammy themselves again soon.

I also heartily agree with your other comments. With the technology available nowadays and the price of tickets, there is no reason for support bands/ special guests to get inferior sound, oh hang on, wait a minute, sorry there is, it's called egos!! That's one thing technology cannot fix!!

I also thoroughly agree with your comment about Priest being too polished. I first really noticed it when I got the British Steel 30th Anniversary Edition. The live DVD on that looked like they were doing a Las Vegas Theatre Show. It didn't feel real. I didn't notice it so much at High Voltage last year, but then I was quite drunk by the time they came on

I know we've had this conversation on here before, and that I'm in the minority, but I would still prefer Tim on vocals. Yes it's Rob and that's what most people want and of course that's where the money is, but, in my opinion at least, that doesn't make it better!

Glad you had a great time though
__________________
THE GOOGLIES HAVE LANDED
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Highway Star's Avatar
Highway Star Highway Star is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: suffolk
Posts: 605
Default

great to saxon again, right down the front, crowd went mad! saxon chants, moshing, the whole lot. the band seemed real glad to be playing hammermsith again. (and i got a pick!!) Priest again tore the place down, what can i say??!!! a great night
__________________
come on saxon, PLAY IN EAST ANGLIA!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
caflyergirl caflyergirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England, now Texas
Posts: 406
Default

I think Jacky did a great job with the sound, who knows what it would have been like had Saxon not had their as always fantastic crew???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Schämsz's Avatar
Schämsz Schämsz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wiesbaden middle of Germany
Posts: 1,222
Send a message via Skype™ to Schämsz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflyergirl View Post
I think Jacky did a great job with the sound, who knows what it would have been like had Saxon not had their as always fantastic crew???
i have to agree with caf. jacky lee man always on 100 % thats what i like
__________________
...THE EAGLE HAS LANDED...


The Drummer has Landed

Last edited by Schämsz; 05-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Bosnian Witchfinder's Avatar
Bosnian Witchfinder Bosnian Witchfinder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 824
Default

Interesting points all round!

In terms of how well Saxon went down, I could see the entire standing area joining for every sing- along and clapping section, so they went down very well!

Priest do go off stage every now and then, but I believe its to do things such as costume change (for Rob Halford), changing guitars or tuning them, allowing individual members a solo spot as they start the song, allowing intro tapes to build up to the song (hellion electric eye)
- and maybe just a quick beer, all that pyro made it boiling in the crowd, let alone if you're on stage in leathers!

Saxon by no means had a bad sound, just not the fantastic one they have when they headline and everything is on their terms. Most support bands have had Horrendous sounds at Hammersmith so I'm sure there was no stitch up of any kind
__________________
new band! www.myspace.com/primitaiofficial
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.