Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Cami Arévalo
Default I got a question for you

I wanna know if does exist a luxury Version of the whole saxon discography. Anybody know something about it?.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

I don't think there is a luxury version of whole discography, but:

-there is a re-release of strong arm of the law in a box with a shirt
-there are limited edition boxes for Metalhead and Lionheart
- Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth and Call to Arms have special versions with an
extra CD or DVD

hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Hi Cami. As far as I know there is no luxury boxset of all the albums but, (in case you haven't already got them) to add to what Bosnian has already told you in 2009/2010 the first 9 studio albums (Saxon through to Destiny) were remastered and released with bonus tracks and new liner notes. They form quite a nice set when put together (see pics)

There are also (from a company called Night Of The Vinyl Dead) luxury versions of Dogs Of War, Unleash The Beast, Metalhead and Killing Ground on heavy coloured vinyl and limited to 333 copies each and the Live To Rock single in 7" and 12" formats limited to 250 copies each. These are quite difficult to find and are expensive but are well worth it if you can get hold of them (again see pics)

Hope that helps a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remasters1.jpg (42.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Remasters2.jpg (48.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Dogs Of War.jpg (28.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Unleash THe Beast.jpg (30.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Metalhead .jpg (16.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Killing Ground.JPG (21.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Live To Rock 7.JPG (28.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Live To Rock 12.JPG (22.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Cami Arévalo

That's what I meant. You both really helped me. Thank you! xx
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 AM

Always puzzled my why they haven't released a limited edition box set or the like.
I mean Maiden have really stretched it at every opportunity with ,Eddies head , Eddies archive , First ten years, etc etc, same with priest and more recently DC.
I'm a real sucker for that sort of thing as i'm sure many others are.
I for one would definately re-buy the entire back catalog if it was held in the claws of a six foot wall mounted illuminated eagle.
(That is not a joke!)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed1015 View Post
Always puzzled my why they haven't released a limited edition box set or the like.
I mean Maiden have really stretched it at every opportunity with ,Eddies head , Eddies archive , First ten years, etc etc, same with priest and more recently DC.
I'm a real sucker for that sort of thing as i'm sure many others are.
I for one would definately re-buy the entire back catalog if it was held in the claws of a six foot wall mounted illuminated eagle.
(That is not a joke!)

Firstly it has to do (I think, although I could be wrong) with who owns the rights to what songs and albums. That can sometimes cause a legal nightmare and very expensive to sort out and secondly, with all due respect to Saxon, a band like Iron Maiden has a much bigger fan base to push special editions to and knowing there is a big audience out there for a product makes it more financially viable to produce.

Saxon, thanks to EMI!!, have had loads of compilations, reissues and best of albums released over the years but they have been put out more cheaply, without the expense of new artwork etc etc etc

To be fair there are, as I mentioned above, some nice editions of various albums, but yes, a complete box set would be nice. Don't know if it will ever happen though. Having said that as Saxon's popularity rises again we are seeing some new editions coming through such as The Eagle Has Landed 2xred vinyl, Denim And Leather 2xBlue vinyl etc.

I just think we are more likely to see individual albums come out as ltd editions rather than a complete set. I'm waffling again but I think the answer will always be a financial and legal one. I'm sure there are quite a few of us willing to part with our cash for something as grand as a complete box set but I don't know if it would be enough to justify the initial outlay of putting one together.

Last edited by 747rick; 01-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Maybe they could do what they did with the DVD and get pre orders in advance for a box set and make a limited set,i for one would shell out again for a definative well made boxset.I have quite a few already, and a Saxon one would be the icing on the cake to my collection.There must be some tracks out there that never made it on to some of the albums and have not seen the light of day,bung some of those on and you would have a winning package even for those fans that have the albums already.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
Maybe they could do what they did with the DVD and get pre orders in advance for a box set and make a limited set,i for one would shell out again for a definative well made boxset.I have quite a few already, and a Saxon one would be the icing on the cake to my collection.There must be some tracks out there that never made it on to some of the albums and have not seen the light of day,bung some of those on and you would have a winning package even for those fans that have the albums already.
That would be fantastic Graham but again doesn't it boil down to who owns the distribution and publishing rights to certain eras of the music and whether it could all be bundled together in one package. Off the top of my head am I wrong in thinking EMI seems to have everything up to Destiny, then you've got Roadrunner, Virgin, SPV and recent album. I don't know really who owns what. On top of that you surely would then have to consider what percentage ex members would get on the sales.

A one off special edition DVD made from scratch is very different from collecting together over 30 years of recordings in one bundle. The recent remastered editions of the early albums back that up. Both the 3CD best of and the single disc best of stopped at Destiny as did the albums themselves.

Again, if I remember correctly, when Maiden put out their latest 'best of' CD from the more recent albums they included live versions of the tracks Blaze sung on originally to bypass certain issues. That’s the sort of thing I mean. I know it’s on a different level but look at the legal minefield and uproar that was created when Michael Jackson bought the rights to The Beatles songs. There is an argument to be had that some bands re-record early classic albums and songs, not because they want to update them, but because they then own the rights to those particular versions which can then be put on future releases.

If a record company knows they are guaranteed a certain income from a particular portion of a bands back catalogue every few years would they then be willing to give up those rights for the diehards. Even if they were willing the price they may ask to return the rights to the band may be too expensive.

Last edited by 747rick; 01-17-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM

thats true mate,but even just an spv boxset of the later albums would be great(the early ones have been done to death).There must be some hidden gems that never made it onto some of those that could be added,and not just a few live tracks bunged on the end of each album.Oh well wishfull thinking.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
thats true mate,but even just an spv boxset of the later albums would be great(the early ones have been done to death).There must be some hidden gems that never made it onto some of those that could be added,and not just a few live tracks bunged on the end of each album.Oh well wishfull thinking.
That's spot on Graham and a great idea. Definitely the early albums have been re-released many times and I've always felt that some of the 'latter' stuff has been unfairly overlooked. An SPV boxset or similar with a 'few' extras would be fantastic.

Just out of interest, on one of my Saxon searches on the net a few months back I found the following images on a blog that is no longer updated. I'm not sure how 'official' they were, and if they were, if they ever got beyond the planning stage but apparently were planned for release around 2003. Some of the pairings seem a little odd but Wheels/Strong Arm pairing did get a release, obviously with slightly different artwork and the Killing Ground/Re-recorded Classics got a Spec Edition release. Would still have been interesting (to me at least)!!

Please also excuse the quality of the images, they are the only ones I've been able to find. Of course they could have been completely unofficial. Have you ever seen them before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 Saxon & Donington Tracks.jpg (16.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 02 WOS & SAOTL.jpg (9.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 03 DAL & Crusader.jpg (9.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 04 P&TG & Destiny.jpg (16.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 05 IINE & TEHL.jpg (9.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 06 RTN & The Best Of.jpg (18.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 07 SBOR & Requiem Single.jpg (15.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 08 DOW & TEHL2 Part 1.jpg (17.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 09 FF & TEHL2 Part2.jpg (15.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 10 UTB & COR.jpg (17.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Metalhead & BBC Sessions.jpg (15.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12 Killing Ground & Classics Rerecorded.jpg (15.5 KB, 8 views)