Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2016, 06:17 AM

Default How I Became a Saxon Fan

Never was a big Saxon fan, sure I like the classic cuts, but not the whole lp's. They were as Ult has described them as "biker rock", and that has never really been my thing. Back in 87/88 when metal's heyday was at it's peak, I picked up "Destiny", huge disappointment! Not even biker rock, but chocked full of cheese, even a power ballad! Well, that was it for me, never checked them out again...til 05. I was getting the BWBK mags back then and they gave a great review for "Lionheart", think it may even have been album of the year, so I decided to pick it up. WOW, I was blown away! This was not biker rock, or cheese, this was killer metal! Not a filler track on it, couldn't believe how good it was...but I figured it was a diamond in the rough, so I never bothered checking further. Last September I caught their show here in town, great show, but not one song from "Lionheart", bummer! Last month or so been checking on Ult's reviews for their lp's, and decided to pick a few up. The first one to arrive was "Sacrifice", solid effort, really like it, but not quite as much as "Lionheart." Next came "Metalhead"...WOWII, this smokes! Perhaps even topping "Lionheart", man the first three cuts are absolutely killer! So I have a few more on order, hoping they are in that league...

Something I posted a while back on another message board, have them all now, and not disappointed w/any!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 AM

I too started my likings for Saxon in 2005 early...a friend from England who's been into them for ages told me to check out Lionheart so I bought it in 2005 and to this day I believe it to be the best Saxon album of all time.

In my opinion from 1995 Dogs of War to 2015 Battering Ram ..... 10 straight albums that kick ass,some better than others but I belive these last 21 years have been the BEST of Saxon's career...

I still love Saxon debut lp 1979...Wheels Of Steel...Strong Arm Of The Law...Denim & Leather...Power And The Glory albums...Crusader lp has such a killer album cover art and the title track Crusader is such a killer song...its utterly amazing that the rest of the album is filled with B-side material at best.

Innoscence is no excuse, Rock The Nations,Destiny are very below average,uninspired material at best. Solid Ball Of Rock and Forever Free albums are half good,half filler b-side material at best on both albums..

Perhaps they should of waited back then and just released an album consisting of the good tracks from both. But yeah over all... I think it's safe to say the best quality of Saxon material has been these last 21 years 1995-2016.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 AM

I've grown in appreciation of those "lost years" albums, especially "Innocence" and "Destiny", quite like them both now. I'd go one lp further than you did for the top shelf Saxon, beginning w/"Unleash the Beast."
Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM

If you were fortunate like me and had followed Saxon from day one (when I was 15) you will find that all the albums fit and reflect the time periods in which they were produced and for me each one is a soundtrack to my life that, either good or bad, brings back those times whenever they get played .
You can't really go out and buy all the albums of ANY band in a great big pile and coldly judge them analytically based on current trends.
There is more to it and for most fans (of any band) there are memories and emotions that you associate with a particular track or album that just can't be reproduced unless you were actually there.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:55 PM

I was "there", Saxon just wasn't w/me at the time...
Old 11-01-2016, 04:53 PM

I first saw Saxon many years ago-I went to see Nazareth and Saxon were 2nd on the bill. They were superb that night and I saw them quite a few times in late 70s.
I was mainly a Motorhead fan (once Led Zep finished) but have a real feeling for Saxon-good songs and always brilliant live.
Lost touch with live gigs for years while bringing up 3 kids but given a 50th Birthday present (6 years ago) of a ticket to a festival in London's Victoria Park where Saxon were on the metal stage.
Years flew away and had a great day. Chatting to other fans I realised how many bands were still going. I got to gigs regularly now and have had some great nights watching UFO, Black Spiders, Michael Schenker and many others.
I feel lucky that the music is still going-and so am I ! If we all liked the same things all the time it would be a boring old world.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:03 PM

for me it wos 1980, I wos 11 years old, my older brother got wheels of steel lp. after listing to motorcycle man that wos it for me. didn't get to see them live till 1982. been following them ever since.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:39 PM

Believe it or not I first started getting interested in Saxon after seeing a couple videos on Metal Mania on VH1 Classic. Power and the Glory and Ride Like the Wind I believe were the two most played ones.

After that, picked up the A Collection of Metal CD and really liked what I heard. Like a lot of people I went back and started with the material from the 80s, Strong Arm, Wheels, Denim, Crusader.

The first new release Saxon album I bought was Inner Sanctum, which I absolutely loved (would love to hear State of Grace on the upcoming US tour please!). From there I worked backwards filling in the gaps until I had every album (studio and live). And now I basically buy whatever they put out and drive wherever I have to in order to see them live, a band that has earned every dollar I spend on CDs/tickets/merchandise.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Bought The eagle has landed when it came out in 1982,been a fan ever since.