Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Default SAXON added to Download Bill...

Saxon have been added to the Download Bill, with headliners Metallica, looking at the poster, they are quite low on the bill......
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart747 View Post
Saxon have been added to the Download Bill, with headliners Metallica, looking at the poster, they are quite low on the bill......
absolutely disgusted at some of the shite above them!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM

scandalous in my opinion
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
absolutely disgusted at some of the shite above them!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
scandalous in my opinion
That is absolutely disgraceful but somehow I feared this might be what happened. This is precisely the reason why I would not entertain going to either Sonisphere or Download nowadays. Those two festivals cater more and more to the 'scene' or 'Kerrang' side of metal and rock and they just don't do it for me anymore.

We had a conversation on here a few weeks ago about what festivals would be better for Saxon to do this year and I said that Download or Sonisphere would be better because they would be able to reach a wider, more diverse audience BUT they had to be higher up on the bill than last time.

I can understand fully why the band have agreed to this but to essentially be lower on the bill than they were 32 years ago just defies belief.

Its about bloody time some of these so called 'experts' woke up and smelt the coffee. The very least the band should have got was a headline slot on the second stage. I know they are never going to headline a main stage at one of these events but still!!

Unfortunately, this sort of discrimination has always been prevelant in the music business and it will continue to do so as long as 80,000 people turn up to these events and spend lots of money thinking that bands such as Biffy Clyro, Chase & Status and Black Veil Brides are the future of Rock because Radio 1 and Kerrapp have told them it is.

Me, well I'll hopefully be going to Bloodstock again and wishing deep down that even though it would have been to a smaller audience Saxon were headlining there instead.

Sometimes in this World there is no justice and while granted, there are a lot more serious problems on our planet at the moment this still makes me shake my head in bewilderment
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
The very least the band should have got was a headline slot on the second stage. I know they are never going to headline a main stage at one of these events but still!!
The problem is most people moaned when they were on the second stage.

YOU CAN'T WIN !

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM

any idea how long saxon will play, maybe 1 hour tops, agree with all above points, the band fully deserve better billing than this.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
The problem is most people moaned when they were on the second stage.

YOU CAN'T WIN !
Yeah mate I know and you are right! I was just thinking out loud.

I've just checked the 2010 lineup poster (and I know there are still bands to be confirmed) but they are presently at exactly the same place as they were then (7th on the bill) but in 2010 there were 2 bands below them, at the mo in 2012 there is only 1 band (In essence lower on the bill than they were).

You would have thought with all the praise heaped on them in the last 2 years that they might have moved upwards a little bit, if only to 5th.

And, even though I remember complaining then that they were too low, at least 'some' of the bands above them IMO could be seen as a bigger draw. Some of the tosh that's above them, and for that matter scattered all over the bill this year just reminds me why I've always despised the music industry in this country.

I'm just venting a little bit, unfortunately, at the end of the day, they will never be seen as anything but a midfield unit.

We, here especially, know better than that though don't we
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon 1967 View Post
any idea how long saxon will play, maybe 1 hour tops, agree with all above points, the band fully deserve better billing than this.
I would imagine 40 minutes at best. I think a longer slot on Second would have been a better placing for them.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Saxon lower on the bill than Black Veil Brides, Trivium, two comedy bands and Biffy Clyro.... yep the spirit of the old Donington is well and truly dead.

Nowadays Donington is seen like a designer label and your paying well over the odds for the name alone. Its became the posers Metal festival, sure there will be a handful of good bands playing but the majority of the bill is aimed at mainstream "rock" fan and I use that term very loosely. The type of audience Download is aimed at is the "we're fans of rock music but secretly we hate rock music" demographic the type who probably dress up to the nines as a rock n roller but is probably listening to Justin Beiber on their ipod.

But anyway my point is Saxon deserve better than playing to a bunch of posers for 35-40 mins I wish they would play Bloodstock as they no doubt would be a headline act there or at least second from the top instead of being second from the f****n bottom!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Hammer View Post
Saxon lower on the bill than Black Veil Brides, Trivium, two comedy bands and Biffy Clyro.... yep the spirit of the old Donington is well and truly dead.

Nowadays Donington is seen like a designer label and your paying well over the odds for the name alone. Its became the posers Metal festival, sure there will be a handful of good bands playing but the majority of the bill is aimed at mainstream "rock" fan and I use that term very loosely. The type of audience Download is aimed at is the "we're fans of rock music but secretly we hate rock music" demographic the type who probably dress up to the nines as a rock n roller but is probably listening to Justin Beiber on their ipod.

But anyway my point is Saxon deserve better than playing to a bunch of posers for 35-40 mins I wish they would play Bloodstock as they no doubt would be a headline act there or at least second from the top instead of being second from the f****n bottom!
It's all about the money today sod the fan,s......