Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 AM

Default Setlist .......Last Day Saloon

Band was fantastic both at the Avalon and the Last Day Saloon. Crowd was crazy at the Avalon with stage diving, mosh pit, singing along. Band was rockin' and really enjoyed themselves. Played a 2 hour set including Dallas 1 pm!

At Santa Rosa it was a different story. I was very dissapointed in my Northern California metalhead brothers, they were absent. Shame on them, they missed a chance to see this great band up close and personal. About 8 people stood and watched Borealis. They are good so don't come late and miss them. I've seen Michael Schenker twice at this venue and UFO just two weeks ago, good large crowds. When Borealis was playing their last song I walked right up to the front and center of the stage. My friend who was seeing Saxon for the first time stayed in the back at a table. He said he tried to estimate the number of people there and guessed about 150.
ONE HUNDRED FIFTY!
I was bummed by the lack of fan support. But then I considered it my duty to rock like I was 20 again (that was 32 years ago, back in '79) Doug played his solos two feet from my face. At one point I could not resist and reached out and lightly tapped his guitar with the back of my finger. I head banged, I screamed, I yelled, and I was not dissapointed by this timeless machine of rock known as Saxon. The small crowd did not stop them from putting on a show like there were thousands in the room! They played Eagle has Landed! They did cut Nibs bass solo and Strong Arm of the Law out of the encore but it still was a fantastic night of metal from one of my all time favorite bands. All I could do was yell "Thank You" to them over and over with what was left of my voice as they shook peoples hands and took a final bow. I got a pick from Doug and a handshake from Paul and Biff. I had not seen Saxon since 1988 and these two nights made it worth the wait.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the review. Shame there wasn't such a good crowd, there have been a couple of times over the years when I've seen them play to a 'sparse' audience but they always put on a great show regardless. Glad you had a brilliant evening.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
Thanks for the review. Shame there wasn't such a good crowd, there have been a couple of times over the years when I've seen them play to a 'sparse' audience but they always put on a great show regardless. Glad you had a brilliant evening.
I echo that - thanks for the review

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmetsfan View Post

Band was fantastic both at the Avalon and the Last Day Saloon. Crowd was crazy at the Avalon with stage diving, mosh pit, singing along. Band was rockin' and really enjoyed themselves. Played a 2 hour set including Dallas 1 pm!

At Santa Rosa it was a different story. I was very dissapointed in my Northern California metalhead brothers, they were absent. Shame on them, they missed a chance to see this great band up close and personal. About 8 people stood and watched Borealis. They are good so don't come late and miss them. I've seen Michael Schenker twice at this venue and UFO just two weeks ago, good large crowds. When Borealis was playing their last song I walked right up to the front and center of the stage. My friend who was seeing Saxon for the first time stayed in the back at a table. He said he tried to estimate the number of people there and guessed about 150.
ONE HUNDRED FIFTY!
I was bummed by the lack of fan support. But then I considered it my duty to rock like I was 20 again (that was 32 years ago, back in '79) Doug played his solos two feet from my face. At one point I could not resist and reached out and lightly tapped his guitar with the back of my finger. I head banged, I screamed, I yelled, and I was not dissapointed by this timeless machine of rock known as Saxon. The small crowd did not stop them from putting on a show like there were thousands in the room! They played Eagle has Landed! They did cut Nibs bass solo and Strong Arm of the Law out of the encore but it still was a fantastic night of metal from one of my all time favorite bands. All I could do was yell "Thank You" to them over and over with what was left of my voice as they shook peoples hands and took a final bow. I got a pick from Doug and a handshake from Paul and Biff. I had not seen Saxon since 1988 and these two nights made it worth the wait.
After all these years it was explained to me like this. They still got paid. They are stage whores. Someone told me that they would play anywhere, no matter what. They played in Columbus OH in 1997 to about 25 people, maybe, and they played over two hours. That's why I love this band besides the best metal ever. They are loyal to us, their fan. Make sure when you go to these gigs to take 25 friends with you. We have about 20 coming up from Ohio driving 6 hours to the show. Glad you had a great time.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Marty, i have a group of fellow Buckeyes going to the Detroit show as well. rock on!