Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Hammer View Post
Its became the posers Metal festival, sure there will be a handful of good bands playing but the majority of the bill is aimed at mainstream "rock" fan and I use that term very loosely. The type of audience Download is aimed at is the "we're fans of rock music but secretly we hate rock music" demographic the type who probably dress up to the nines as a rock n roller but is probably listening to Justin Beiber on their ipod.
Download isn't a metal festival
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemzorro View Post
Download isn't a metal festival
You might be joking around but your comment is totally truthful. Within 10 years (maybe even 5) it will be another Reading, Leeds or Isle of Wight Festival. Aimed at people who think it's hip to go to a rock festival because they've bought a 'Fashion' Motorhead or AC/DC T-Shirt from Blue Banana and throwing the horns when in truth the only Rock that exists is what's sitting between their ears!!

The next thing we know Arctic Monkeys or Muse will be headlining it and we will get the token 'proper' Rock or Metal act to appease the minority.

The majority in the UK have never understood Rock or Metal music purely, as I said earlier, because they are willing to be spoon fed the medias interpretation of what it actually is.

For a country that supposedly created Metal we've done a bloody good job of sweeping it under the carpet, as we do here with many things and then sit there scratching our heads wondering why we are looked upon as a joke.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM

They got an hour in 2010 and they were second or 3rd on the bill.

To me there are 2 types of metal festivals

1. - your downloads, sonisphere's, rock am ring etc. commercial stuff, 90% mainstream American/English Kerrang stuff - Trivium, Slipknot, Metallica etc

2. - your bloodstocks, Wacken's, Hellfest, Sweden Rock, - where its more about the bands music, where the billing reflects the quality of the bands and nothing else-
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
You might be joking around but your comment is totally truthful. Within 10 years (maybe even 5) it will be another Reading, Leeds or Isle of Wight Festival. Aimed at people who think it's hip to go to a rock festival because they've bought a 'Fashion' Motorhead or AC/DC T-Shirt from Blue Banana and throwing the horns when in truth the only Rock that exists is what's sitting between their ears!!

The next thing we know Arctic Monkeys or Muse will be headlining it and we will get the token 'proper' Rock or Metal act to appease the minority.

The majority in the UK have never understood Rock or Metal music purely, as I said earlier, because they are willing to be spoon fed the medias interpretation of what it actually is.

For a country that supposedly created Metal we've done a bloody good job of sweeping it under the carpet, as we do here with many things and then sit there scratching our heads wondering why we are looked upon as a joke.
Live Nation have no interest in metal, only money and the more the better. They want 100,000 people to attend Download each year and the only way to do that is to offer a broad church built on bands heavily promoted in 3 magazines, Kerrang, Metal Hammer and Classic Rock.

I have no doubt that they will continue to move the festival towards the mainstream rock with bands like Foo Fighters and Green Day headlining.

Metal fans will have to go to smaller festivals like Bloodstock.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post

What you said is fully true but not restricted to Download, I was pissed off that Glastonbury included Beonce and Jay Z, but thankful that BB King and Duane Eddie was there, what next, rappers and "RnB" pop stars to appear in Download, what next, High Voltage in London or Hard Rock Hell in Prestatyn?

As for how metal is portrayed, it is unbelievable how many posers are there as "fans" of metal, people who think that you have to be a violent depressed goth devil worshiper who hangs out at graveyard and thinks a funeral is a great day out to love metal pisses me off 110%, real metal fans come from all walks of life and are normal(ish) people, the media, especially MTV, Kerrang and Scuzz concentrates on those poser fans instead of the everyday genuine fan

Some of us considers rock and metal to be real music along others such as Classical, Jazz, Blues etc

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
What you said is fully true but not restricted to Download, I was pissed off that Glastonbury included Beonce and Jay Z, but thankful that BB King and Duane Eddie was there, what next, rappers and "RnB" pop stars to appear in Download, what next, High Voltage in London or Hard Rock Hell in Prestatyn?

As for how metal is portrayed, it is unbelievable how many posers are there as "fans" of metal, people who think that you have to be a violent depressed goth devil worshiper who hangs out at graveyard and thinks a funeral is a great day out to love metal pisses me off 110%, real metal fans come from all walks of life and are normal(ish) people, the media, especially MTV, Kerrang and Scuzz concentrates on those poser fans instead of the everyday genuine fan

Some of us considers rock and metal to be real music along others such as Classical, Jazz, Blues etc
I couldn't have said it any better
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

They were about that high up the bill in 2010 and jugging from that they should be OK anyway because there was a very big turn out and Saxon showed the other bands how to do it for the rest of the day. I'm just happy that Saxon are playing and I'm sure they will be talked about all day like they was in 2010, I'm also glad I've got someone to watch in the day because everyone else is sh*t

Last edited by MattMetallica; 02-29-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 PM

i agree with all the points said , it is a sad reflection on how the organisers clam to have a mrtal festival but are killing metal by mis promoting a great band like saxon who should definitely be higher up the bill this time, however i will boycott such mixed festivals who offer joke bands higher up the bill than a truly great band. there should be a strict separation of stages proper metal on one, all glam kind of stuff on one, etc, but these organizers have got it all wromg in my opinion , i know anthrax did some stuff with rap kind of bands but to me that was their downfall i couldnt take to it, and the same when these festivals include prodigy shit and the like, the only way metal will survive is to get a festival like wacken with no fakers on the bill, you cant complain much then really.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonthegreat View Post
it is a sad reflection on how the organisers clam to have a mrtal festival
They don't.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 PM

How can anyone say that these festival promotors are cashing in.
Last time I went to "Donnington" was AC/DC first headline and had the pleasure of kipping in a bin bag in a field. Now I can go and slum it in the RIP Metal Hotel for a mere 1930 (although to be fair, that does include the tickets)!!! WTF

Oh and as for Saxon's placing on the bill, dissapointed to say the least, just hope they do what they normally do and blow most of the following acts off the stage