Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Default UK tour

hey all not posted on here for ages but I felt I needed the feedback of the diehards.

current tour.

whats up with Girlschool going on at 6.15 at a gig that says 7pm doors on the ticket?

Fastway - was surprised how much I enjoyed them but couldn't understand why they were on after Girlschool apart from the obvious.

Saxon - great show as always but song choice was a bit meh for me, a few weird post 1990 choices (so many good songs from this era we never hear) and a few glaring omissions (no crusader?). Also do you think I will ever get to hear Run for your Lives or Warrior - I've been going to see Saxon for 20 years now and they have never played these songs, do they play them at all these days, like I heard RFYL was big in Italy.

Anyway was great to see Saxon but didnt feel quite as psyched after the show as usual, especially after the long wait with all the cancelled gigs last year.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 PM

I agree so many great songs that are never played live, its not as if the fans dont know or like them, if it was'nt for me we'd probably never have got to hear To Hell And Back Again about 10 years ago saxon first played it after i pestered them for a few years , i just think it would give a great boost to the fans to hear some of these great songs, i feel a new tour coming on
Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
hey all not posted on here for ages but I felt I needed the feedback of the diehards.

current tour.

whats up with Girlschool going on at 6.15 at a gig that says 7pm doors on the ticket?

Fastway - was surprised how much I enjoyed them but couldn't understand why they were on after Girlschool apart from the obvious.

Saxon - great show as always but song choice was a bit meh for me, a few weird post 1990 choices (so many good songs from this era we never hear) and a few glaring omissions (no crusader?). Also do you think I will ever get to hear Run for your Lives or Warrior - I've been going to see Saxon for 20 years now and they have never played these songs, do they play them at all these days, like I heard RFYL was big in Italy.

Anyway was great to see Saxon but didnt feel quite as psyched after the show as usual, especially after the long wait with all the cancelled gigs last year.
The venue sets the times not the band - and some of these places had club nights going on after the gig hence the very early starts.

Regarding the set list, no one is ever going to be 100% happy with what is played or not played - not everyone who goes to a gig is a die hard fan who has followed them for ages - lots just want to hear the classics - but to be fair they have added in things they have not played for years.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 PM

I've heard that's why the US tends to get the greatest hits set, because unfortunately there aren't enough fans like out there who want to hear more songs from the 90s and 00s. I understand that the band has to play to the audience, but I still hope to hear a couple songs from that era.

So I'll make my requests (Ride Like the Wind, Conquistador, State Of Grace), hope they get played, but even if they aren't I'm still thankful I get to see the mighty Saxon live again!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM

A couple of years ago they played "The Great White Buffalo " in Germany, what made me very happy. I'd like to hear this again.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 AM

The Rock City gig last night in Nottingham was superb. Unfortunately missed Girlschool due to work commitments which was a shame as I was looking forward to them. The atmosphere was great and Saxon were clearly having fun. Biff was on top form as were the lads. I personally loved the set list, a nice surprise to hear Killing Ground, Terminal Velocity and Let me Feel Your Power etc. A cracking night.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:57 AM

I was at the Rock City gig and very pleasant surprises for me were 'See the Light Shining', 'Killing Ground' and 'Terminal Velocity'. I see looking on setlist.fm that they are switching up songs each night which is ace.

It looks like some of the classics are being switched each night, such as Crusader and Denim & Leather.

I do wish though that there was more post 1990 stuff in the set, but I guess it's hard to fit it in when they have about an hours worth of classic staples to play. They should get more braver and drop another 2-3 classics each gig (rotate them like they're doing with those I mentioned above) and replace with newer songs.

To be fair though, Saxon have had some killer sets over the years and have covered a lot of material. Obviously there will be some omissions because of the sheer scale of songs they have available.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Went to see them in Bristol and did the meet n greet thing also. It was great to get the opportunity to shake the hands of the band that got me into metal music.

I remember seeing Fastway supporting AC/DC years ago.... Fly on the Wall tour i think. Girlschool i know of but never got to see back in the day. Both bands put on good performances.

Saxon were in fine form. The sound was spot on and Biff's voice shows no sign of faltering. One of my highlights of the night was them playing Frozen Rainbow.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellhammer View Post
Went to see them in Bristol and did the meet n greet thing also. It was great to get the opportunity to shake the hands of the band that got me into metal music.

I remember seeing Fastway supporting AC/DC years ago.... Fly on the Wall tour i think. Girlschool i know of but never got to see back in the day. Both bands put on good performances.

Saxon were in fine form. The sound was spot on and Biff's voice shows no sign of faltering. One of my highlights of the night was them playing Frozen Rainbow.
Saw them in London and Wolverhampton and gutted they never played 'Frozen Rainbow' at either show, but still 2 great nights, all 3 bands were on top form.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:33 PM

"Frozen Rainbow"what auf grest song!!
Would be very glad to hear this one in Stuttgart or at the Ruhrpott Metal Meeting.