Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM

Default Unleash the Beast (Re)Discovered - Thanks to the Forum!!

I was one of the few UK Saxon fans to buy ‘Unleash’ on its release back in 97, and to be honest, aside from the excellent title track and possibly ‘the Thin Red Line’, I really didn’t like the album at all back then. Maybe I was upset Graham Oliver had been discarded, maybe I was a bit disappointed with the production. Whatever it was, I felt Saxon had lost part of their soul and I had always rated it as their worst album and avoided listening to it.

However, having read some comments and posts on this Forum- particularly the recent underrated songs post- it became clear a lot of contributors really rate songs from ‘Unleash’. So last week I listened to the complete album for the first time in 17 years. Now I can’t turn it off!! Its quality from start to finish, with my favourites being the title track, Terminal Velocity, Thin Red Line and Bloodletter. Songs that could grace any Saxon album. There are other great tracks too like Circle of Light and Cut out the Disease.

Thank you Forum! It’s like having a new Saxon record to discover! Anyone else got any thoughts on ‘Unleash’ or any other underrated Saxon albums?

See you at the Manchester Ritz in December!!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Unleash is one of my favourites. Circle of Light, Thin Red Line and The Preacher sit particularly well with me.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWoody View Post
Unleash is one of my favourites. Circle of Light, Thin Red Line and The Preacher sit particularly well with me.
Yeah cheers mate. I saw your comments and few others, and they finally convinced me to give the album another go, and I'm glad I did!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM

Better late than never

I bought it when it came out and loved it. Played it to death. Still sounds awesome as you say. Considering the musical climate for the period and the fact this type of music was being pushed underground, I think this is a mark of genius.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Cracking album

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 AM

Even though the previous two albums were good I remember buing it the week of release and thinking wow, Saxon have really nailed it with this one. I've always loved Unleash The Beast and I think it was where they truly started to come back.
Glad you've re-discovered it
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM

I like this album ad well,but the comeback is for me Soldi Ball Of Rock.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
I like this album ad well,but the comeback is for me Soldi Ball Of Rock.
I agree. I think the comeback started in fine style with Solid Ball of Rock. Brilliant album!

I feel what Unleash did was show - apart from a few songs with a slightly commercial polish to them like Thin Red Line, Ministry of Fools and Absent Friends - that Saxon were heading in a much heavier direction.

Both excellent albums anyway!!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Yes! Unleash the Beast is such a great album, words simply cannot express! However - I will try anyway!

For me Saxon were great through the Power & the Glory (other than the debut album which is a slight step down in production and songwriting). I thought that up to and including Power & the Glory Saxon was just about as perfect as a heavy metal or rock & roll band could possibly be!

Then came Crusader, which isn't the worst thing in the world, right? I mean, small pox, a pimple on your nose the night before a big date, a flat tire on a muddy road in the middle of nowhere - lots of things are worse than Crusader, right? But for me Crusader, Innocence Is No Excuse, Rock the Nations, Destiny & Solid Ball of Rock were just so much less than those first few albums. I thought it was a shocking drop in quality after Power & the Glory. I thought there were a few decent songs on these late 80s/early 90s albums, the title tracks lack production with any kind of punch, but the title songs themselves (Crusader, Rock the Nations & Solid Ball of Rock) are solid for sure. Most of the other tracks seemed like they were just far beneath Saxon's talents. Also, the line up kept changing, of course. And by the time Unleash the Beast was coming out it was just down to Byford & Quinn.

So I wasn't expecting much from Unleash the Beast. But I was wrong. Very wrong. At the time of its release Unleash the Beast was their best album since Power & the Glory, but they weren't done and still aren't - as every album since has been arguably as good as, or better than (certainly at least nearly as good as) Unleash the Beast.

I don't know if any other band I was a big fan of during my teen years has ever experienced such a strong 2nd-half-of-the-career surge as Saxon has.

I know lots of you love Crusader through Solid Ball - and I'm not trying to hate on them, I promise! I do like a few songs on those even though there are many songs I perhaps don't like quite as much, anything with Saxon on the cover is fine with me!

But Unleash the Beast was followed by Metalhead, Killing Ground, Lionheart, Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms & Sacrifice. Including Unleash the Beast, by my count, that's 8 straight full blown, front to back, 100%, stone cold classic albums. In the second half of their career! Amazing!

Anyway, I'm going to cue up Unleash the Beast and get back to work Cheers everybody!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 PM

Great post that. Agree on most of what you say there pal. Wise words