Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelatar View Post
Shakira has played AC/DC onstage... But then again, so have Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Hanson, Tom Jones and John Farnham.
I always thought Shakira is very pritty (music is not my taste though) but plaing AC/DC is not the best of ideas for a latino-pop/world music singer to do...

I remember Paul Anka has released a cover album covering pop songs, now I like Paul Ankas music but covering "modern" music was a horrible move - covers IMO rarely works, some the ones (in my oppinion) that does work is Def Leppards "Yeah!" (covering the bans that inspired them), The Shadows "Moonlight Shadows" (Instrumental album, Cliff not included), Dream Theater "Dark Side Of The Moon" (Bootleg)...

(I cannot say much against Tom Jones because of the close proximity of his hometown to my familys original one, but covering AC/DC is a wrong move, Vallies people support eachother, see)

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
Celine Dion covering AC/DC is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Attachment 450
It was actually Celine & Anastacia, yep its sad I knew that

Quote:
But after reading a post on her Twitter over the weekend, metal peeps might need to show her some respect too.
(Quoted from Link, re Lady Gaga.)

Ahem, no respect from me she or he still plays in a crap genre. lol
"I'm sick of people saying our music is too loud, They never stop complaining, try to turn us down, But if you want it louder we'll turn it up full blast, They'll never stop the music they're living in the past."
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM

sorry to disapoint but The Gaga is much loved in this house...while she may not be everyone's cup of tea, we appreciate her talent..

Last edited by caflyergirl; 01-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflyergirl View Post
sorry to disapoint but The Gaga is much loved in this house...while she may not be everyone's cup of tea, we appreciate her talent..
I'd agree with you. After first seeing her videos being played non stop on music channels, I thought she was just another gimmick.
But I slowly discovered a lot of things which set her aside from all the other all the pop music that is spoon fed to us by big labels. She's actually a very talented musician and singer who writes all her stuff, unlike all those other 'pop stars' who have all their hits served to them on a plate. She gets decent musicians on tour, i've seen footage of her live show, and her extended versions of songs are know to feature shred solos by long haired guitarists.
I also appreciate her eccentricity and character, her audacious outfits that make everyone else seem like a weak imititation. She's ridiculously over the top and she knows it, but thats the point. She doesnt try to have some kind of perfect image like pixie lott, cheryl cole who are played up to be angels.
Haha essay over
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Although some of you have good points that she is unique and is rather more talented compared to her fellow pop peeps its still not my cup of tea. I hate pop no matter who is in it I have no respect for anyone in that genre but thats just my personal opinion and not everyone is going to agree but doesn't mean I think any different of anyone who likes that sort of music
"I'm sick of people saying our music is too loud, They never stop complaining, try to turn us down, But if you want it louder we'll turn it up full blast, They'll never stop the music they're living in the past."
Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 PM

I'll admit too that she is more unique than others and I will admit myself that I like certain pop acts that are unique, but electronica is not my cup of tea, the closest thing anyone will get me to listen to electronica is the Killers (it is odd that a lot of old people like it, I geuss I am old before my time, could explain me absolutly loving Heavy Metal as well)

Fair enough some of you like her, no-one can tell you, or force you what you like, no matter how much MTV and Radio one wants to, IMO it is healthy for the mind to listen to different music cross genre.

As well as Metal and other subgenres (especially NWOBHM), I do love to listen to the oldies that layed the foundations for rock in general (which eventually built up to Metal) like Elvis, Bill Haley and his Comets, The Shadows (yes, even with Cliff singing from time to time, Lemmy of Motorhead fame seems to like him *ahem*), Buddy Holly etc

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
Elvis, Bill Haley and his Comets, The Shadows (yes, even with Cliff singing from time to time, Lemmy of Motorhead fame seems to like him *ahem*), Buddy Holly etc
Not to forget...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnZriMDlx4
Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
Fair enough some of you like her, no-one can tell you, or force you what you like, no matter how much MTV and Radio one wants to, IMO it is healthy for the mind to listen to different music cross genre.

As well as Metal and other subgenres (especially NWOBHM), I do love to listen to the oldies that layed the foundations for rock in general (which eventually built up to Metal) like Elvis, Bill Haley and his Comets, The Shadows (yes, even with Cliff singing from time to time, Lemmy of Motorhead fame seems to like him *ahem*), Buddy Holly etc
I quite agree with you, I haven't got anything against people that like this sort of thing just that genre in genral I really do hate. But I do have a wide background of music tastes. I prefer Rock/Heavy Metal but I am open minded to various musics. Its what makes us unique
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM

I agree with Hazel. Lady GaGa is just another churned out pop thingy whom we'll quickly forget about in a few years, unless she sticks her face into the media all the time long after her career has finished.

And oh yeah don't forget about Miley Cyrus claiming to like Iron Maiden. Whether she does or not is another matter all together and I don't care whether she does or not - these pop stars like rock etc. because rock etc. is awesome and talented (usually). But I don't care for these pop artists. They're there. Eh.

*phew that took five minutes to type, the hairy little monster was pulling at my jacket!*

I am weird. Take me seriously at your own peril.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfaery View Post
I agree with Hazel. Lady GaGa is just another churned out pop thingy whom we'll quickly forget about in a few years, unless she sticks her face into the media all the time long after her career has finished.

And oh yeah don't forget about Miley Cyrus claiming to like Iron Maiden. Whether she does or not is another matter all together and I don't care whether she does or not - these pop stars like rock etc. because rock etc. is awesome and talented (usually). But I don't care for these pop artists. They're there. Eh.

*phew that took five minutes to type, the hairy little monster was pulling at my jacket!*
I have a feeling that we may see another "Britney Spears" like situation

Stalk me on LastFM