Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 04:15 PM

Default claim to fame

has anybody on here got a claim to fame... a tale only told after a few beers... a tale which either shattered your illusions about a band or re-inforced your belief in them been metal gods
for what its worth heres mine
a long time ago (1983/84)there was a music venue in leeds called leeds queens hall
now it was the venue where i first saw a live band so i hold the place close to my heart, during the day it was an indoor carpark , but on concert days it became a venue with a capacity of about 4500
now the acoustics wernt great i admit but the list of bands that played there was pretty impressive , whitesnake, acdc,saxon,rainbow,ozzy,black sabbath,motorhead, genesis,and thats just who i saw ,there was also groups from different genres ,duran duran,culture club , thompson twins etc (massive groups of the day) all the above played to sell out crowds
on the crusader tour i went to purchase my tickets with a friend from the box office , i use that term lightly as it was the ticket booth where you paid for parking, it was the morning of the concert and the stage had all been set up (remember gothic castle,medievil knights at the side of the drums stained glass window at back of the stage as well as the mighty eagle only to be told by the attendant that the gig was cancelled due to health and safety regs and that the venue had to apply for a new licence.... i kicked off as i was well pissed off at missing out on seeing saxon and a young woman whose name i never got said " if your so annoyed why not do something about it , start a pertition"
we were then taken to see the manager of the queens hall who informed us that the council were trying to get the queens hall shut down so that they could bulldoze it for a bigger car park, but if we started a pertition at the whitesnake concert ( which was going ahead ) in a few weeks time then maybe that might stop them shutting the place
with that we were told to return on the morning of the first whitesnake gig ( they were playing 2 nights (sold out) which we did we were given access all area passes a clip board with paper and pens and then given a tour of the venue , support acts (great white) dressing room , whitesnakes dressing room, and then onto the stage, i was allowed to sit at cozy powells drums ( but not to touch anything...lol) watch the technicians wiring the pyros , chat to neil murray ( and share a beer as he did a sound check ) as a 17 yr old i was in heaven, i never got to meet david coverdale to talk to ,the nearest i got was when his car ( a big merc with blacked out windows) drove into the arena and he wound his window to chat to neil murray , i watched great white do there sound check then went to my position by the doors to collect the signatures... everybody signed who i met but alas this story dosent have an happy ending........ the council got its way.... the place was demolished and a new car park put in its place.... and leeds lost there only arena size venue which to this day has never been replaced , it saddens me to think that leeds is the 7th largest city in the uk and it doesnt have an indoor arena
but hey...........
what a venue they once had
Old 04-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Top story mate.Without sounding like an old fart.I think those days are gone.Bands nowadays seem to go from university venues to fucking enormo domes.All the bands you mentioned played Leicester.But now days if a good bands play they are few and far between.I tend go to the Charlotte which is a pub thats holds two or three hundred people and the sound is always shit.Mind you i am going to see Napalm Death there soon.Should be fun.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 AM

oh the old de montford hall
is it still there or has it gone like all the other venues of that era , yeah if you look back many a group made live recordings at the de montford if its gone its a real shame
Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 AM

Why was the Saxon gig cancelled, but the Whitesnake one went ahead? Hmmmmm Saxon wern't doing a documentary for channel 4 were they?!

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 AM

Great story Tim. I always remember at the Bryan Adams gig there,back in '87, he said "Is this an old parking lot or something?" I wonder if he knew there was some truth in it LOL
Agreed, it is a shame that a city such as Leeds doesnt have a decent bigish venue nowadays,but, whilst i enjoyed the shows i saw there, also have to say the Queens Hall was a god awful place for accoustics
Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM

thanks for the bryan adams info , my wife went to that gig and swore it was in 1985 , i told her bryan adams couldnt fill the queens hall on the strength of one single (run to you)but she was adamant, even when i told her that "t pau" the support act were not famous in 1985 she would not crumble .... thanks for restoring my sanity
as for the whitesnake gig going ahead , the license was revoked for the saxon gig on the instructions of the fire service, but reinstated for the whitesnake gigs so that members of the council could attend and check the "decibel readings" i met the members of the council they were so easy to spot as they had industrial ear protectors on big bright yellow ones ( honestly you just cant make this stuff up) anyway the bastards wouldnt sign my pertition when i asked them
for the record whitesnake were amazing and cozy powells drum solo with pyros and the big gong was awesome suffice to say the clipboard was put down while whitesnake were on......
Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 AM

oh paxoman just a thourght
harvey goldsmith did promote the whitesnake tour
now thats one for the conspiricy theorists
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim 747 sykes View Post
oh paxoman just a thourght
harvey goldsmith did promote the whitesnake tour
now thats one for the conspiricy theorists
I can see people whispering in corners!

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim 747 sykes View Post
oh the old de montford hall
is it still there or has it gone like all the other venues of that era , yeah if you look back many a group made live recordings at the de montford if its gone its a real shame
No its still there mate.Manic Street Preachers are playing soon and it often gets bands like The Charlatans and Ocean Colour Scene.Kasabian did two nights last year but they are local lads so it was a bit of a homecoming.The Last band i went to see there was The Aussie Pink Flyod thing.
Have been Tim? I have loads of great memories .It seem likewhen i look back i was there every month.I think thats why when it comes to gigs i am not as well traveled as you lot,i had no need to everyone came to me.This November it will 20 years since Anthrax played there on The Amoung The Living tour.Now that does make me feel old.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Please, might anybody explain me who Harvey Goldsmith is?