Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Default Saxon / Motorhead Manchester 14/11

What can I say that has not been said already?
Last time I saw Saxon would of been on the Solid Ball of Rock tour. Although lots of rave reviews about how good they still are live, I seriously did not expect them to be as good as they where last night.
An excellent set, but about an hour to short!
I know the next bit may not go down too well, but the "classics" went down much better than the "newer" tracks.
Call me a philistine, or stuck in the 80's, but this is what I was brought up on!
I know you can't expect them just to play the old stuff and did enjoy some of the more up to date songs.
Looking forward to seeing them next year on the 30th Anv tour and will have to do something special, as I first saw them 30 years ago as well.

Motorhead, what you get is what you see and can't hear a bloody thing this morning!

Happy days
Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM

i know exactly what you mean about preferring the classics. saxon's new stuff is ok, but cannot really compare to the likes of 747, princess, motorcycle man etc etc etc.

i saw them last week in newcastle and they were superb.

as has been said, i thought motorhead were too loud. sorry if that makes me sound old, soft or both!!

got to say i'm surprised that many people dont seem to have seen saxon for a few years.......thought i was the only one. this was my first time since rock the nations in 1986. I did see oliver/dawson saxon in newcastle, probably around about 2000 or 2001. they were ok, but playing a very small venue to a small gathering, and was i have to say, a bit embarrasing to be honest.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 PM

Saxon went down really well with the crowd last night, which was good to see. Even the 'new' songs were well received. Sound seemed a bit dodgy at the start but got better (or I got used to it!). Same set as already been posted elsewhere.

Motorhead....well they were just Motorhead. I don't know if it was because it was loud (it didn't seem overly loud to me) or just the sound mix but I had trouble making out any of the songs, even the ones I knew. It just seemed one big wall of noise. I definitely wouldn't go and see Motorhead again doing a headlining tour, I'm afraid they are way past their best.

Got to say a big well done to the apollo staff who chucked out all those shit for brainers who think it is ok to smoke at the venue despite it being in fact against the law. Without exception, everyone I saw smoking was thrown out. It seems smoking doesn't just harm your health, it also makes you extremely stupid and ignorant.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Awesome show by Saxon..... We saw Motorhead take the stage, and left, we were only there for one thing, SAXON, SAXON, SAXON!

Brilliant time had by all I'd say, even managed to skip the queue at the bar when the guy asked us what we wanted as we walked by (score).

I'd like to the say the crowd during Saxon's performance was ace too, we had a bit of a pit going (front left as you look at the stage), and not one person was being an arsehole (fighting, etc), and anyone who went down was instantly picked back up - stay safe!

By the way, I put my beer on top of a car making its way through the crowd outside (next to the pub), and he drove away when I chased him to get it back, if you are reading man, no fair! :P

We saw Biff arrive too, driving a French (I believe he has a house over there) plated people carrier,

Another great show by Saxon.

Motorcycle Man
Let Me Feel Your Power
Heavy Metal Thunder
Live To Rock
Princess Of The Night
Hellcat
Witchfinder General
Denim And Leather
Ashes To Ashes

That's not quite the right order, but that's what was played, anyhoo.

Last edited by Axionknight; 11-15-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Forgot to ask, who was that who joined Motorhead onstage for 'Killed By Death'? Lemmy did say after the song but I couldn't understand a word he said!

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxoman View Post
Forgot to ask, who was that who joined Motorhead onstage for 'Killed By Death'? Lemmy did say after the song but I couldn't understand a word he said!
didn't have a clue. Presumed Danko jones as spent that time in the bar (along with the 6 hours leading up to the concert)!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM

may have been Blaze Bailey seen my thead for saxon at Leicester.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
may have been Blaze Bailey seen my thead for saxon at Leicester.
Wasn't it Wurzel? He'd appeared at some previous shows so who knows?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM

I wasnt at the gig,but i noticed that Motorheads set has been uploaded to Dime. The track list info says it was Danko who joined them on "Killed By Death".

Seems the taper was late & missed all of Danko Jones & only recorded part of the Saxon set.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:47 PM

It wasn't Blaze Bailey or Wurzel, so probably was Danko Jones.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman