Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM

i like many others on this forum showed our concern when we found out about this documentary many months ago
and it seems our fears were well served
i have stated many times now that i hope that saxon can get back to where they were and i hear the crys from the pro publicity brigade saying that harvey goldsmith ( who will from now on in this post be refered to as " the cock" has done his bit.... but lets look at the programme
" the cock " isnt going to make himself look bad intentionally which is a bit worrying as thats exactly what he did... i know im biased but fucking hell...saxon lax ,pedestrian,stuck in there ways..etc surely if you are going to make a programme about bringing a band back from the gutter ,then make sure the band are in the gutter in the first place.... saxon are not big in the uk for one reason and one reason alone..... the media... pure and simple
its not the music, the band members, the cd packaging,the live performance .its the media
during the shambles of a program i had to endure plugs for radio stations,rock magazines,rock djs etc ..... where was the plug for the new album ? nowhere to be seen
where was the solid facts to back up any of the lame assumptions that the general public would have been so happy to drink in.... why were we treated to an appentice rejectee telling us about heavy metal been divided into sub catorgories ( heavy metal is heavy metal, its the media that wants to pidgeon hole groups into catorgories for there own private devises) we were told LORDI went triple platinium in finland so fucking what !!!! they are from finland, and finland to there credit dont have the same hang ups about music like our music press, thunderstone are from finland and have 4 brilliant albums to there name but are they known in this country NO why because like i have already said the media isnt interested
to put this shambolic piece of gutter tv into perspective i will just give " the cock "one piece of advice
when you are addressing " The cream of the British heavy metal media " at the promotional release of saxons new single
dont start as an opening gambit " i have promoted Pavorotti , madonna ,rolling stones " because it will just make you look like a complete CUNT...... sorry for the language ladies
i will probably write more ,when i have calmed down but i think you can see from what i have written so far where my head is on this crock of shit tv programme
Old 04-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Rubbish as this seems, not watched the documentary yet apart from what I saw at the recording of the E4 programme.

Watched the E4 show, it has to be said it was edited better than I expected (although it still riled me). To be fair to the apprentice reject, James Max (Who is incidentally a nice bloke) he was stiched right up, maybe more than the band in some respects. He gets the job to stand outside the Hammy Palais to do a feature on HEAVY METAL and when he asks what he should wear they say chino's and a blazer. (you could say he was niave but even so help the guy out)

More comments will follow when I've had chance to digest the documentary and re-watch the E4 show.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Well said, Tim

Feel better now?

I can understand those that are angry with the programme but Saxon came off really well. One moment I loved was on the E4 programme when Biff joined the guest band at the end and sang the bollocks off the band's own singer.

I think the whole experience can only be good for Saxon. The media (even the rock media) have never liked Saxon.

Jealousy. Envy.

Anyway, is it just me or did that editor type in the audience from classic rock look about 12?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Here, do youse want a good laugh. Over on the planetrock forum, I am defending the mighty Saxon and most folk are agreeing with me about the programme etc., but this clown has just joined and posted this message:-

USFLYER wrote:
Goldsmith and Channel 4 got this really wrong. The current saxon lineup is NOT Saxon - it is Biff and his backing band. He has decided to use the name Saxon, but this group contains only 2 original members. Steve Dawson and Graham Oliver were the musical end of the band, and to be honest, Biff's group haven't written a good song since Dawson left in 1986. The show kept harping back to "back then", but it was a very different group then. The group shown in the videos was not the group on the show. Even the reference to Spinal Tap was wrong - the acknowledged influences on Spinal Tap were Dawson and Oliver - no one in the current lineup.

Dawson and Oliver tour and record as ODS, and blow the socks off of Saxon's current lineup. Goldsmith should have done his homework.

I didn't know whether to laugh or scream when I read that. Anyhooo I jut repleid saying - HAHAHAH GET REAL - WHAT THE FOOK DOYOU CALL LIONHEART AND THE INNER SANCTUM THEN!!!!!
If any of youse feel like popping over and helping me out that would be great cos I think this prick is gonny start ripping Saxon to shreds!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of the Night747 View Post
If any of youse feel like popping over and helping me out that would be great cos I think this prick is gonny start ripping Saxon to shreds!!!!
You won't need any help Princess ! GO GET HIM TIGER

See you in Glasgow, for the judging of the best DENIM JACKET with patches competion.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
See you in Glasgow, for the judging of the best DENIM JACKET with patches competion.
Hehe oh yeah I forgot all about the Denim Jacket competition (PICK ME FINGERS, PICK ME PLEEEEEAAAASE).

Now that plonker is saying that Lionheart is BORING and The Inner Sanctum is TEDIOUS and everyone in the rock press agrees with him
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Hey Princess -- it was me posing as Butlins Redcoat (with a space ) on the Planet Rock forum.

One good turn deserves another!!

USFlyer seems to have gone a bit quiet. Perhaps I was right and it was either Steve or Graham (taking a break from promoting themselves as 'Saxon' on Ents24)?!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Excellent Scandinavian101 - I had a sneaky feeling that Butlins Redcoat was someone from this forum lol!!!! Love the name hehe!!!! Thanks very much for the back-up!! I was thinking the exact same thing that it might have been Steve or Graham - I wouldn't be surprised. That USFLYER just joined the forum today and started getting tore into Saxon - thats just out of order doing something like that, joining and then slagging bands off.

Hopefully we will have seen the last of him but I've got a feeling they'll be back to try and do some more damange to the Saxon's reputation. Have you ever heard anything so ludicrous as saying that Saxon haven't had one good song since 1986 - ABSOLUTELY MENTAL!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Scandinavian(space)101 said
"My point, albeit made somewhat sternly due to emotions running at the time, was that an expert in the field of music promotion was offering assistance to the band to increase their profile in the UK, something that the band said they wanted doing themselves...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
& exactly how many metal bands has HG promoted. The fact he has had success does not make him god & for the record, goldsmith has also had some huge failures down the years (which I'm sure he would always blame on others)
yes he is knowledgeable about the music biz, but then so is biff- who has been around for as long as Harvey.
who has the greater knowledge when it comes to heavy metal & what metal fans want?????????
It's not hard to work out is it.
HG was there to raise the bands profile in the UK (which he did to a small degree) & not to teach someone as knowledgeable about metal as our Mr Byford how to suck eggs.
Thats not kissing anyones arse, Its a plain fact.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 PM

USFLYER wrote:
Goldsmith and Channel 4 got this really wrong. The current saxon lineup is NOT Saxon - it is Biff and his backing band. He has decided to use the name Saxon, but this group contains only 2 original members. Steve Dawson and Graham Oliver were the musical end of the band, and to be honest, Biff's group haven't written a good song since Dawson left in 1986. The show kept harping back to "back then", but it was a very different group then. The group shown in the videos was not the group on the show. Even the reference to Spinal Tap was wrong - the acknowledged influences on Spinal Tap were Dawson and Oliver - no one in the current lineup.

Dawson and Oliver tour and record as ODS, and blow the socks off of Saxon's current lineup. Goldsmith should have done his homework

I suppose opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one.
So what the fuck difference does it make if band members come & go. The heart & is where it really counts, and of course - the big family made up by both the band & the fans.

We'll soon see what's what in May.
I've seen Saxon in a whole bunch of European locations over the past couple of years, and every time they delivered the goods.
So we'll see . . .