Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Varangian Varangian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
Default That original line up thing

Saxon related

Been reading the write ups and comments for fellow NWOBHM legends Venom regarding there rather superb new `Relentless` album
disregarding the fact its very well written indeed,has a very very good drummer yet is faithful to there classic sound and theme-all comments seem to be about first few albums and its not venom without the original trio regardless of how good it is.

Saxon still suffer this sadly in comments and even more so in certain Rock press,despite the fact that Nibbs and Doug have been in the band longer and contribute so much to make the legend even greater.I certainly dont want the original line up this one is more than superb and continues to make great music.Certain Rock Press(a term we shall use loosely)would have us believe the band havent made a good record since 84, funny how they keep recording albums and headlining festivals then if there so poor at what they do!
Keep up the good work

thanks for letting me get that off my chest-comments welcome
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
hole in the sky hole in the sky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 95
Default

your right Varangian , same could be said about many bands, the original saxon line up was great but things have move on and i dont think theres a chance in hell that it would trump the current saxon. magazines still not learning are they, it there downfall then.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
747rick's Avatar
747rick 747rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wrexham, Wales
Posts: 2,824
Default

People seem to forget that there can never be an 'original' lineup again even if it was wanted, which I can safely say is not the case (I certainly don't anyway), as Pete Gill cannot play the drums anymore.

The current lineup is THE lineup, the best lineup and the only lineup I want (of course Fritz and Jorg did a sterling job when they were drummers). There will always be individuals who want otherwise, but I think it's fair to say those 'individuals' are talking out of a rather large back passage!!

As for the Venom comparison, they've had many different lineups including If I remember correctly two albums when Cronos was not even the vocalist. By the way the new album is very good and I thought was called 'Fallen Angels'.

Fingers you are right I'm being pedantic again. I best go and find that receipt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Dirkster's Avatar
Dirkster Dirkster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bolton, England
Posts: 577
Default

The original line up thing I think something that older fans who have been out of touch with the band may have an issue with. Times change, things move on and the current line up has been together a long time and they are fantastic. The last 4 Saxon albums are amongst the best they have ever made.

The classic Iron Maiden line up of Dickinson, McBrain, Smith, Harris, Murray was'nt the original. To me the current line up of Saxon are a classic one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Varangian Varangian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Yeah sorry the new one is fallen Angels,no idea where `relentless` came from
ex Atomkraft singer Tony Dolan did take over from Chronos on three albums,the first was very decent but they never got a fair shake of the stick

Another NWOBHM counterpart Diamond Head continue to release very worthy product and have a decent vocalist- again its the same thing,the call for former members and `I like the old stuff like Am I Evil and Helpless`.

Doug and Nibbs as Biff has stated have added so much to Saxon in the way of musicianship and sheer energy,anyone who has seen Nigel Glockler`s recent drum solo wow! not usually too into Drum solos but it was superb.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
747rick's Avatar
747rick 747rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wrexham, Wales
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
Yeah sorry the new one is fallen Angels,no idea where `relentless` came from
ex Atomkraft singer Tony Dolan did take over from Chronos on three albums,the first was very decent but they never got a fair shake of the stick

Another NWOBHM counterpart Diamond Head continue to release very worthy product and have a decent vocalist- again its the same thing,the call for former members and `I like the old stuff like Am I Evil and Helpless`.

Doug and Nibbs as Biff has stated have added so much to Saxon in the way of musicianship and sheer energy,anyone who has seen Nigel Glockler`s recent drum solo wow! not usually too into Drum solos but it was superb.
Hi again Varangian,
Yeah I saw Venom in concert both with the 'original' lineup and with Tony Dolan and they were both good, although different.

I dont think, as good as their early material is, that Diamond Head would still be around if it wasn't for so many other bands covering their stuff etc. Brian Tatler is the only original member left, although having heard Sean Harris singing with Brian at the recent Metallica 30th anniversary gig cannot understand why he is still not singing with them because he was very good.

And you are absolutely correct about Doug, Nibbs and Nigel. Ok so they are not the 'original' guys but have been with the band for many years and IMHO are far more capable musicians than the people they replaced. As has also been said here Saxon have actually released much of their best material since these guys joined. Unfortunately, because the band is having a wonderful run and are gaining in popularity again, people that haven't followed them over the years will probably see it differently. For those of us that have followed them throughout know the story and know who should be in the band.

It's the same with Motorhead, although I don't rate them as much as Saxon, people never give up on saying it's not the original lineup, although I think their current lineup is the strongest (Bar their Bloodstock performance this year, which was diabolical) and has been together the longest. In fact I cannot think of many bands of that era who still have the original lineup.

Because all of these bands were around at the 'beginning' of NWOBHM, that is always going to be seen by some as the 'classic' period/lineup because of chart entries, singles and sales etc etc and of course their nostalgic memories of those times. I however don't do nostalgia where Saxon are concerned. They have consistantly released strong albums, toured relentlessly (even in the tough times) and always look to the future.

I'm going to stop waffling now
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Fohat Fohat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2
Default

"classic" deep purple weren't the original line up.

Come to that, the Fab Four weren't the original beatles line up either
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 PM
747rick's Avatar
747rick 747rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wrexham, Wales
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fohat View Post
"classic" deep purple weren't the original line up.

Come to that, the Fab Four weren't the original beatles line up either
There are are two ways of looking at it but what normally happens is that the lineup that has the most success is the one people see as 'The Lineup'. Maiden didn't become really successful until Bruce joined so when he left everyone wanted him to come back not anyone else. Everyone saw The Beatles as those 4 because they were the ones that became well known. Saxon however got their most 'success' with what people see as the first lineup so some want them back together again.

What we have to distinguish between is the 'Original' lineup and the 'Most Successful'
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 PM
MartyWalker MartyWalker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
Saxon related

Been reading the write ups and comments for fellow NWOBHM legends Venom regarding there rather superb new `Relentless` album
disregarding the fact its very well written indeed,has a very very good drummer yet is faithful to there classic sound and theme-all comments seem to be about first few albums and its not venom without the original trio regardless of how good it is.

Saxon still suffer this sadly in comments and even more so in certain Rock press,despite the fact that Nibbs and Doug have been in the band longer and contribute so much to make the legend even greater.I certainly dont want the original line up this one is more than superb and continues to make great music.Certain Rock Press(a term we shall use loosely)would have us believe the band havent made a good record since 84, funny how they keep recording albums and headlining festivals then if there so poor at what they do!
Keep up the good work

thanks for letting me get that off my chest-comments welcome
Right on dude. Doug is SAXON

Nibbs is SAXON. The others are long gone. It shouldn't even be a question anymore. Paul and Dobby are accepting it. They left.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Doom Rider Doom Rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Back of Beyond
Posts: 164
Default

Seen Saxon a lot over the years and they are now as good if not better than ever. In recent years the albums have been of very high quality.

Picked up a guitar mag just before christmas which had a look at graham olivers guitar collection. And yes it was interesting seeing his various axes - especially the white sg and fying v. He is working with vintage guitars (quite a budget brand) making signiture models based on the originals. What really struck me however is just how stuck he is in the past - totally. The new OD album is to be titled motorcycle man - quite sad. I then looked up the vintage website and there are a couple of vids of graham testing vintage guitars out. To be honest he strikes a rather sad figure. I respect what he did in the past and have no problem with him making music but he needs to move on. Its like someone who has a death in the family and keeps their room as it was like a kind of shrine. He simply hasnt got over not being in the band. Although he left because from what i can gauge he didnt like the direction the band was taking. So why has he still a big problem with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.