Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoreater View Post
Have you listened to his last two albums with 'Ripper'? Perpetual Flame/Relentless. Listen to Magic City/Enemy Within respectively and tell me he still is not the greatest guitar player. While your at you might as well listen to 'Into Valhalla' as well. As I listen to this song I can almost see the heavenly crowd on their feet among the clouds cheering as the Heros enter into Valhalla.
I have both albums mate and whilst there is a marked improvement over other more recent albums IMO they are still far from his best. I feel he has not made enough use of Tim who I think is one of the most underrated vocalists around at the moment, but to me his voice is what has elevated those albums not Yngwie's playing. So I can say with all honesty in reply to your question that he is nowhere near the greatest guitar player. Certainly a pioneer of that style and certainly very good but not the best.

Like I said in my previous post though, it is only my opinion. Music is a wonderful thing in whatever guise it presents itself. It provokes discussion which can only be a good thing but we do not, and cannot all like the same thing. A boring place the world would be if we all did.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM

rory gallagher is not often on best guitarist lists and he was fantastic, probably the reason he isn't on many of these lists is that he didn't wanna became a pop star and refused to release singles, he was really into his music and playing and so many rock fans don't even know about him cos he's not household name like page or slash and he's rarely on the radio. but he influenced a lot of great players, here are some names that spoke highly of rory (some for famous before him like lennon and others were influenced by him)

John Lennon (Beatles)
Mick Jagger
Billy Wyman
Charlie Watts (Stones)
Eric Clapton
Jack Bruce
Ginger Baker (Cream)
Eric Bell
Phil Lynott
Garry Moore
Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
Francis Rossi
Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)
Roger Glover
David Coverdale (Deep Purple)
Bono
The Edge
Adam Clayton
Larry Mullens Jnr (U2)
Jon Bon Jovi
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
Bob Dylan
Rod Stewart
Ronnie Drew
Van Morrison
Brian May (Queen)
Paul Rodgers (Free)
Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)
Andy Summers (The Police)
James Dean Bradfield (MSP)
Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Slash (Guns & Roses)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
Bob "The Bear" Hite (Canned Heat)
Eric Sardinas
Eric Burdon (Animals)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM

and here is what some of them said about rory

"Only after Jimi Hendrix and Rory Gallagher both are gone I can be considered the world's foremost guitarist."
Ritchie Blackmore

- "He was a great man in many ways. I never met him though. You know, some people don't become HUGE because they are too SMART! They hold back a little (like my brother Simon?) So they can remain true to themselves, Maybe Rory was like that? "
Pete Townshend (the Who)

- "Without a Shadow of a doubt, the person who inspired me to become a musician, and who I thought was unbelieveable and magical was Rory Gallagher"
Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)

- "Playing on stage with him in LA was one of the biggest thrills for me ever."
Slash (Guns 'n' Roses)

- "A beautiful man and an amazing guitar player."
The Edge (U2)

- "It was all about him playing the guitar, it got into your soul."
Cameron Crowe (Writer / Film Director)

- "Rory Gallagher he was a great player. I've seen him perform several times he just used to use a little Fender amp and that beat-up old Strat, but boy, he could make that guitar talk ... He was another guitar player who never got the credit he deserved, it's incredible . He either had a bad publicist, or I don't know. "
Ace Frehley (the Kiss)

- "In the 70s he built himself a reputation as a live performer of tremendous vitality ...
... He was even headhunted to join The Rolling Stones. "
Niall Stokes (Editor, Hot Press)

- "One of the things that was crucial for me I got from Rory Gallagher, which was the idea of, like, being a guitar player for life and living it."
Johnny Marr (The Smiths / Johnny Marr and the Healers)

- "So these couple of kids come up, who's me and my mate, and say 'How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher? ' and he sits and tells us. So I owe Rory Gallagher my sound. "

and also few days ago brian wrote on his website:

Ah! very nice to see that lovely statue of Rory ... great picture.

Having been lucky enough to spend a little time with Rory over the years, I think the answer to the question "Why didn't he become a superstar?" is simply that he didn't want to.

Rory was one of that rare breed of pure artists who honestly don't give a monkey's for fame or fortune. Rory loved his music, loved his guitar, loved his audience; and progress for him was finding a new lick, writing a new song, or just moving on to the next town to weave is magic on a new bunch of appreciators. So he did not play the fame game ... you could regard him as epitomising the very opposite of the X-Factor mentality. To Rory, his 'star' status was nothing. His music was everything.

All hail Rory !

Bri

Brian May (Queen)

- "Rory Gallagher always ploughed his own furrow, touring constantly and turning his back on commercial success to pursue his own music."
Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy)

- "An uncompromisingly serious musician"
The Times, 16th June 1995.

VAN MORRISON
"Rory's death is a tragic loss of a great musician and a very good friend."

ROD STEWART
"Rory's dead? I'm shocked, so shocked. We used to have the same manager. We used to do tours together with Rory. He was a real good guy, a great player. That's taken me aback. I'm sorry. I can't believe it man."

JIMMY PAGE
"Rory's death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage and it put a dampener on the evening. I can't say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player."

BONO
"One of the top ten guitar players of all time, but more importantly, one of the top ten good guys. Taste was my first experience of a real rock band."

THE EDGE (U2 guitarist)
"A beautiful man and an amazing guitar player. We'll miss him very much"

ADAM CLAYTON (U2)
"The first show I ever went to was Rory Gallagher at the Carlton in 1975. I'll always remember his Blues and acoustic playing. R.I.P."

MARTIN CARTHY (English Folk & Celtic performer)
"Words like fire, passion, friendliness, openness; these are all the words which apply. He was an open book. But one word and one word only can apply, it seems, to the person who makes life worthwhile by example. Who loves his trade and the people who also ply it and one who tells them so. Who makes his peers feel good by simple presence. Rory Gallagher graced music as he graced humanity. The word is grace."
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
rory gallagher is not often on best guitarist lists and he was fantastic, probably the reason he isn't on many of these lists is that he didn't wanna became a pop star and refused to release singles, he was really into his music and playing and so many rock fans don't even know about him cos he's not household name like page or slash and he's rarely on the radio. but he influenced a lot of great players, here are some names that spoke highly of rory (some for famous before him like lennon and others were influenced by him)

Rory was fantastic- Against the Grain, Deuce, Photo Finish etc speak for themselves and as you rightly say is seldom cited.

Another great guitarist IMO is Michael Schenker. I love his work with UFO. but his self destructive behaviour ended up overshadowing his ability.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM

httphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqhg-qozdk&feature=player_embedded?v=wEqhg-qozdk&feature=player_embedded

Above link to Yngwies' recent rendition of the National Anthem before baseball game. Note to Roger Goodell; get this national treasure to the Super Bowl.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
httphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqhg-qozdk&feature=player_embedded?v=wEqhg-qozdk&feature=player_embedded

Above link to Yngwies' recent rendition of the National Anthem before baseball game. Note to Roger Goodell; get this national treasure to the Super Bowl.
They don't have comedy acts on during half time do they?

Quinn knocks spot off the Swede. So what if he can play the guitar at 100mph whilst blowdrying his hair. Yngwie that big hair went out of date years ago.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Somehow I doubt Paul would agree with your witty assessment.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
Rory was fantastic- Against the Grain, Deuce, Photo Finish etc speak for themselves and as you rightly say is seldom cited.

Another great guitarist IMO is Michael Schenker. I love his work with UFO. but his self destructive behaviour ended up overshadowing his ability.
Quite agree with both statements. Rory was a fantastic guitarist who played with passion, emotion and feel. I'm afraid (IMO) Yngwie couldn't shine Rory's boots!!

Schenker is also fantastic and I'm very pleased to say that after seeing him recently he does seem to have put his 'troubles' behind him. He was on cracking form. I'm very much looking forward to the new album because what I heard of it live really does sound like it could be rather good.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM

This has turned silly...Yngwie could not shine his boots? Really? Children Please!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
This has turned silly...Yngwie could not shine his boots? Really? Children Please!
No I'm afraid calling me a child is going too far. You like Malmsteen fair enough, I don't think he's that brilliant fair enough. We all have an opinion which we are ALL entitled to. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but quoting album titles at me and making out I am unintelligent because I don't agree with you or others and trying to force me to change my mind is what is silly The thread was about Saxon's guitarist. Let's stick to that.

Sorry everyone else, I just feel strongly when someone else cannot accept the fact that we can all like different things.

Tags
heavy metal, saxon, solos, top metal guitarists