Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM

A pleasure as always.

I want to rush home and dig out my Helloise stuff now, lol, just to see if you are right of course.

Whilst some of my ex girlfriends would dissagree, I like to think I have a wide taste in music as well.
I regularly listen to The Shadows and The Beatles right through to Saxon, Metallica etc, currently favouring the Danish band D-A-D (please check them out as well).

Where I struggle is Rap, Disco, RnB etc, I hate that stuff

I dont go any heavier than Metallica but each to their own ..........

For me, Saxon are at their best, indeed, the best, when live on stage, and always have been.

Have to say, Kiss are great entertainment (the full show) live, but their music is not as strong as Saxon in my view.

If you can play a cassette tape I could help with a bit of "digging", ahem.......

Last edited by XRWoody; 07-26-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added the last bit
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWoody View Post
Ahh, I am suprised Rick, you normally come up with stuff I have not heard of, which is something I like from this forum.

This album, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Times-...d_rhf_ee_p_t_1 was one of a few loaned to me by a work colleague, and rock anorak, back in the early 1980's, Helloise being the other band of note from that time. Also Chasar were very heavy but not so easy listening.
Other bands he lent me were Savage, Aldo Novo, Whytchfinder and Colleseum.
Hi Chasar are still playing and managed to see them a few times in Glasgow recently. Very Rush orientated (early Rush i might add) which i prefer and i just thought they are an excellent band.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWoody View Post
A pleasure as always.

I want to rush home and dig out my Helloise stuff now, lol, just to see if you are right of course.

Whilst some of my ex girlfriends would dissagree, I like to think I have a wide taste in music as well.
I regularly listen to The Shadows and The Beatles right through to Saxon, Metallica etc, currently favouring the Danish band D-A-D (please check them out as well).

Where I struggle is Rap, Disco, RnB etc, I hate that stuff

I dont go any heavier than Metallica but each to their own ..........

For me, Saxon are at their best, indeed, the best, when live on stage, and always have been.

Have to say, Kiss are great entertainment (the full show) live, but their music is not as strong as Saxon in my view.

If you can play a cassette tape I could help with a bit of "digging", ahem.......
First band I ever got into was The Shadows. I also hate Rap and all that 'stuff' cannot stand it!

I do go heavier than Metallica. I am a huge fan of Original Bay Area and German Thrash (and similar), I love some Melodic Death (I have no objection to screamy vocals IF there is good melody behind it). I think a reason for that is I've always been absolutely terrible at remembering lyrics so it doesn't bother me too much if I cannot understand what they are singing .A great example IMO would be Scar Symmetry who have clean vocals as well but some of the best guitar work and catchy choruses you'll hear, but I also adore bands like Chicago, Boston, Kansas etc. On top of that plenty of old and new Proggy bands. My fave type though (don't really like to categorise) is Power Metal.

Yep, I can play cassettes, in fact I've still got over 500 in my collection. I've replaced a lot over the years, but if they still play and I enjoy them I keep them. I still collect Saxon cassettes (but I'm sad ) Over the last few months I've got Killing Ground & Metalhead, US Version of Strong Arm and also the Japanese versions of Strong Arm, Wheels & Denim.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
First band I ever got into was The Shadows. I also hate Rap and all that 'stuff' cannot stand it!
I got a three disk Shadows anthology on CD (minus Cliff) at home, Hank is an outstanding guitarist who made Leo Fender's day with the strat (I cannot stand Rap either, but I think Dubstep is tenfold worse, it plagues the area I live in with its woop woop bzzktzz pff pff beek beek noise)

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
I got a three disk Shadows anthology on CD (minus Cliff) at home, Hank is an outstanding guitarist who made Leo Fender's day with the strat (I cannot stand Rap either, but I think Dubstep is tenfold worse, it plagues the area I live in with its woop woop bzzktzz pff pff beek beek noise)
Hank is indeed a great guitarist.

As for the other 'music' you mention it can Dubstep of a cliff as far as I'm concerned. I'm so glad, since I moved out to a more rural area, I don't have to put up with all of that apart from the odd poser in a Nitrous Oxide Injected Bass Speaker on wheels!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
Hank is indeed a great guitarist.

As for the other 'music' you mention it can Dubstep of a cliff as far as I'm concerned. I'm so glad, since I moved out to a more rural area, I don't have to put up with all of that apart from the odd poser in a Nitrous Oxide Injected Bass Speaker on wheels!!!
I myself live in a semi-rural area, a village five miles out of town, however I am still plagued with this awful noise, worse still my friends on Facebook send me invites to this crapenfest, this town of mine needs a good rock band and quick - I don't think I am up for that task - - - yet (still need to learn those Spanish Phrygian and Harmonic scales, at the moment I just play songs by other bands and composers plus I need a job to earn enough cash to purchase a tube head (Vox NT50) and cabinets)

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I myself live in a semi-rural area, a village five miles out of town, however I am still plagued with this awful noise, worse still my friends on Facebook send me invites to this crapenfest, this town of mine needs a good rock band and quick - I don't think I am up for that task - - - yet (still need to learn those Spanish Phrygian and Harmonic scales, at the moment I just play songs by other bands and composers plus I need a job to earn enough cash to purchase a tube head (Vox NT50) and cabinets)
Oh dear.

My 'neighbourhood' is actually RAF Cranwell and so actually I'm seen as the odd one out because, without wishing to sound rude, nearly everyone here comes out of the same mould. They look and dress the same (even when out of uniform) because of the work environment that surrounds them and they've all been brought up a certain way because most of their parents were in the Forces as well.

I don't, of course, ever play my music 'too' loud or make a nuisance but I do stick out like a sore thumb, so of course I get judged as well, until that is people actually talk to me and then suddenly I'm not seen as a Hippie, Goth, Emo, Greasy Rocker, Unintelligent, or indeed 'the long haired bloke on crutches' but in fact just an ordinary person with a passion for music.

Last edited by 747rick; 07-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I recently picked up "Overkill" by Motorhead and "Head of Death" by Natur at my local record shop. I'm in the process of picking up classic albums after years of downloading.

My latest purchases haven't arrived yet, but I ordered Motorhead's "1916" and the Saxon box set "The Carrere Years 1979-1984" which will be my first box set ever. It was $30 on Amazon, couldn't pass that up. I researched it a bit first though to make sure it was an official release tied to the band - want to make sure they get my money!

Very excited for the new stuff - check out Natur's "Head of Death" if you like old school crusty NWOBHM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Megadeth Rust In Peace (remastered), great album

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Megadeth Rust In Peace (remastered), great album
Great album, but, in my opinion, badly remastered due to "Missing" vocal tracks. Most of it vocal-wise is either re-recordings in 2004 or alternate unused takes because Dave Mustaine says that most of the original masters are missing, and that kind of has a weird effect on it as a whole. Some of the remasters differ in sound quite a bit from the originals, as they remixed as well as remastered, but RIP is the most controversial of them all out and out.

Last edited by Sir Lionheart; 08-09-2012 at 09:55 PM.