Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Default Saxon on iTunes in the US

I noticed a couple things on iTunes that I was wondering about;

1. There are two BBC In concert Downloads- one from Reading in 1983 and one from Hammersmith in 1985. Does anybody know if these have been remixed or retouched in any way? These seem like they are repackaged.

2. Does anybody know if the bonus track on the US iTunes version, Dirty Double Dealer, is available on any physical version of the release?

I'm not a huge iTunes guy, I still crave the physical media if I can get my hands on it, but will pay for a download if need be.

Thanks,

Geezer
Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Hi Geezer,

1. Cannot really help you on the live concerts. I already have both of them on cd but do not know if these versions have been retouched in any way. I still have the Hammersmith 85 show on cassette. I taped it off the radio years ago because I was at that one.

2. The Bonus track (as far as I know) is a download only on Itunes worldwide. I still crave the physical product to, so I downloaded that track and reburnt the album on another CD adding that one at the end. You never know though, it might end up appearing on a reissue/ special edition in the future.

Last edited by 747rick; 10-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer666 View Post
I noticed a couple things on iTunes that I was wondering about;

1. There are two BBC In concert Downloads- one from Reading in 1983 and one from Hammersmith in 1985. Does anybody know if these have been remixed or retouched in any way? These seem like they are repackaged.

2. Does anybody know if the bonus track on the US iTunes version, Dirty Double Dealer, is available on any physical version of the release?

I'm not a huge iTunes guy, I still crave the physical media if I can get my hands on it, but will pay for a download if need be.

Thanks,

Geezer
1. A bit of googling on my part yielded no evidence that those releases have been remastered. They are likely the original concerts as they were mixed and produced for the initial release. iTunes can only publish the media they are given and I doubt the label that released them had them retouched for an iTunes release.

2. Dirty Double Dealer is strictly an iTunes-only bonus track. The only versions of Call To Arms are the standard edition, 2CD digipack (with the Donnington '80 disc) and the vinyl LP. I believe the digipack was a North America only release, however the same concert tracks are available on the 2009 European re-issue of Wheels of Steel.

www.discogs.com is an excellent resource for researching the the various releases of albums by just about every band to ever exist. Saxon's discography is very well documented here.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I believe the digipack was a North America only release,
Andy. As far as I know the digipack release with the Donington CD was a worldwide release. We certainly got it in the UK and I have seen it advertised in other regions.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

2. Dirty Double Dealer is strictly an iTunes-only bonus track.
Does anyone know if there are any other "bonus" tracks like this from previous Saxon releases on iTunes or any other format? Heck, I wasn't even aware of Dirty Double Dealer until reading this thread, not sure how that snuck past me.