Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Default Heavy metal thunder: The movie - why not?

We're currently working hard in the edit suite getting this film together. I don't want to bang on about it too much because I know you all think I'm a bit biased, but this film is absolutely brilliant. Even some of the smaller films we've made to accompany the main feature are good enough to go on TV in their own right (today we finished one called The Bomber and The Eagle '79-'09 about Motorhead and Saxon's 30 year friendship). And the concert footage (both new and archive) is incredi... well, I did say I didn't want to bang on too much... you get the drift.
We've had one or two TV and record company execs telling us we must be mad putting such effort into a band like Saxon. Maybe they'll be proved right and we won't get our money back. Maybe. But the story and the material (and of course the music) is so good you can't help but put everything into it. I know those of you who've become Associate Producers share that enthusiasm - thanks for that.
The reason for this post is to find out WHY those of you who haven't bought it yet are holding back. As a hardcore fan myself, this kind of thing could not be missed out of my collection (although I am hoping for a free copy, being the producer...), so I'd quite like to try and work out the reason for not buying it... Is it too expensive? Are you planning to download it from a file-sharing site? Is it just something you're not interested in? I'd be really interested if you could let me know...
Cheers,
Coolhead
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Can't really answer your question Coolhead as I pre-ordered mine as soon as you advertised it, but maybe with Christmas coming up, cashflow may be a bit tight for a lot of people especially for something that is not yet available. Once it is ready I guess (hope) a lot more people will order, even though they will not be credited as an associate producer.

Personally, I am really looking forward to this release. You had better do a good job.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM

I'll buy it for sure, and I expect my friend bosnian_witchfinder will buy around 10 copies to give to his friends and family.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 AM

they wouldnt be saying that if it was 1980/81 would they , but we most know record company people are clowns,, saxon are very popular in europe so i cant see why it wont do well, if you guys at Coolhead keep pushing it then i think that will do the trick,,,i ordered mine months ago ,i dont think its to expensive for what it will contain in concert footage alone, i ve let lots of metalheads know about it,and think most are interested , so we'll have to see, i will keep pushing it too .
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Live to rock 747
Smile

I ordered mine months ago as well, but im looking forward to the doc part of this dvd more then anything else prob on the dvd, Like the interviews on it for example and the making of certain albums your putting on there, sounds like that will be really interesting.

If you put this dvd together correctly, with bags and bags of footage. without taking into account the concert footage.
I think it could be the best band doc ever made.

Take your time with it, and be proud of what you are making, fuck the tv and record companys saying this bullshit, with there heads up there own arseholes.

I wanna be able to come back to this thread, when ive got my copy in march
and say wow man what a fantastic job youve done on this dvd, i wanna be able to watch it time and time again without getting bored of it. I wanna watch it and smile all the way through it.

I no you wont let us fans down with this.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 AM

yeah i agree with you , live to rock 747 you are spot on , this dvd will be the best around , i cant wait to see it, i wonder if od saxon got it advertised on their site too ? they should i think.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhead View Post
We're currently working hard in the edit suite getting this film together. I don't want to bang on about it too much because I know you all think I'm a bit biased, but this film is absolutely brilliant. Even some of the smaller films we've made to accompany the main feature are good enough to go on TV in their own right (today we finished one called The Bomber and The Eagle '79-'09 about Motorhead and Saxon's 30 year friendship). And the concert footage (both new and archive) is incredi... well, I did say I didn't want to bang on too much... you get the drift.
We've had one or two TV and record company execs telling us we must be mad putting such effort into a band like Saxon. Maybe they'll be proved right and we won't get our money back. Maybe. But the story and the material (and of course the music) is so good you can't help but put everything into it. I know those of you who've become Associate Producers share that enthusiasm - thanks for that.
The reason for this post is to find out WHY those of you who haven't bought it yet are holding back. As a hardcore fan myself, this kind of thing could not be missed out of my collection (although I am hoping for a free copy, being the producer...), so I'd quite like to try and work out the reason for not buying it... Is it too expensive? Are you planning to download it from a file-sharing site? Is it just something you're not interested in? I'd be really interested if you could let me know...
Cheers,
Coolhead

Hi, Coolhead.

This isn't the place to ask this... and I'll tell you why.

I can guarantee you (and I'm 95% confident on this) that every member of this forum that has posted at least 25 times, has put their name down and gone and fecking bought it.

I don't know how many members there are on this site as a whole, but the hardcore on this site have got their name all over this.

Personally I always think that its a wait and see situation with any Saxon release.

Many are prepared to steal/download the albums before release, and probably think about buying it when it comes out, but with Saxon not having the status now that the other bands have (Maiden, Def Leppers, Priest) it's not converting into physical sales.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but most of Saxons revenue must come from Touring and Merchandise sales, with revenue from albums coming third?

There is a way to stamp out piracy or at least track the source down, and then sue the arse off the source of release whether thats CD/DVD. Whilst I'm certain that it's going be to a documentary that I'll watch over and over and (so will the hardcore on here who have already bought it), anyone with just a passing interest in Saxon is just going to download this as soon as somecnut makes it available.

(Edit) It says that there are 184 active members on this site. Have you sold more or less copies than this. PM me with the answer....

Last edited by Rattz; 12-12-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Statistics.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM

We've sold much more than 184... although we're yet to reach the halfway point to break even. I was just interested in knowing if there were any on the forum - therefore dedicated Saxon fans - who hadn't bought it, and if not, why not.
CH
Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 PM

For me, it is money problems and a recent bereavement, but I am trying to get over it and will get it, I hope to purchase it from somewhere LOCAL like the local music shop who does sell Saxon albums

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhead View Post
We've sold much more than 184... although we're yet to reach the halfway point to break even. I was just interested in knowing if there were any on the forum - therefore dedicated Saxon fans - who hadn't bought it, and if not, why not.
CH
I haven't bought it yet, as waiting to hear what the finished article is like.
As to why not, it's my choice. Doesn't make me any less a fan