Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 AM

Default MANOWAR...a great band or just posers??

what do you think about manowar?many metalheads critisize this band and i dont know really why?I MEAN THE MUSIC THEY DID IS AWESOME!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 AM

Hail brother. I have been a huge fan for many years and last month I had the priviledge of seeing them perform their first 6 albums over 2 nights. It was an incredible experience, one that will live with me forever. The volume and the clarity of sound was incredible. To hear tracks like Bridge of Death, Hail to England, Guyana Cult of the Damned, Fighting the world etc through such a wonderful pa system was amazing.

For a long time i didn't really understand Manowar's music. As a kid i was growing up with the classic English metal bands and then i discovered thrash too which i loved (and still do). Manowar's music didn't really seem to fit in. After a while i listened to the lyrics and they were about being true to yourself, standing up for what you believe in and of course flying the "metal flag". Add to this the recurring theme of battle and Norse mythology and it began to make sense. Then one day i got a new stereo system which really kicks ass and i realised that the problem had been I HADN'T BEEN LISTENING TO THEM LOUD ENOUGH. Wack up the volume and it all makes sense. Buy the Gods of War live cd and you will see what i mean. The most powerful live cd i have ever heard.

As for posers....they are the complete opposite. With a song called Metal Warriors with a lyric "wimps and posers leave the hall" that explains it all. The band live and die for metal and everything it stands for. They always have time for the fans and listen to what we have to say. If you don't like them, too bad, fuck off and listen to something else.

Manowar have never really had the respect they deserve in the UK (like Saxon and Motorhead in the 80's and 1990's) The UK suffers from being an island and has a very inward looking attitude, where we think we do everything better and generaly ridicule other countries and cultures. this attitude stinks and as such Manowar, Saxon and others looked to true metal countries like Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain etc where the fans were more vocal and less fashion lead. Now however, things are changing for the better and a whole new generation of new Uk true metal fans are discovering the band for the first time.

I have met many truly great, lovely people through Manowar's music. The band, like their fans, are totally honest, true people who live for metal music and the lifestyle. Naturally the same goes for Saxon too. I hope to see Saxon up on stage next year with Manowar at the Magic Circle Festival 2009. Then i could die a happy man.

HAIL AND KILL. FUCK THE WORLD!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhNW...eature=related
Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Well put Jim ! I have many a happy memory of headbanging weekly like a nutter to "Battle Hymms" @ Jillys Manchester.

Sadly I have never seen them live however I did notice on the flyer for their last German tour that anyone travelling from outside Germany was entitled to a free T-shirt, now that is a fan friendly gesture and should be applauded.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Manowar hey ?
Back in the Eighties Manowar came to Ipswich, me and a few mates got tickets but, you know what we were a bit "lethargic" about whether we could be bothered to go or not.
The support band was Tobruk, and we went along anyway.
The venue (Ipswich Regent) was not even open on the circle level, not a great sign of things to come.
Tobruk were great and it remains a bit of a mystery as to why they did not achieve more.
Then Manowar came on and it was awsome. Joey Dimao was just brilliant on bass.
A really good night, so unexpected. Whether it is because we were initially not expecting much or not I dont know, but it remains one of the best concerts I ever went to.
More recently I heard their live album and that was suprisingly good as well although I have yet to purchase the album.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM

I've never really listend to MANOWAR to say the least. But i've bought their Hail to England CD today, when it comes from Amazon i shall have a listen and see if i like it, if i do i'll buy more of their CD's.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Manowar definitely are a great band. I've always loved the music they made; have to say I like their older stuff better than the last 3 albums, but that doesn't mean those are bad...far from it.
Manowar have been one of my favourite bans since I started listening to metal as a toddler and they still are. If you haven't really listened to them yet, go and do it, they are awesome!
I have to see them live, really have to.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Hail brother. I have been a huge fan for many years and last month I had the priviledge of seeing them perform their first 6 albums over 2 nights. It was an incredible experience, one that will live with me forever. The volume and the clarity of sound was incredible. To hear tracks like Bridge of Death, Hail to England, Guyana Cult of the Damned, Fighting the world etc through such a wonderful pa system was amazing.

For a long time i didn't really understand Manowar's music. As a kid i was growing up with the classic English metal bands and then i discovered thrash too which i loved (and still do). Manowar's music didn't really seem to fit in. After a while i listened to the lyrics and they were about being true to yourself, standing up for what you believe in and of course flying the "metal flag". Add to this the recurring theme of battle and Norse mythology and it began to make sense. Then one day i got a new stereo system which really kicks ass and i realised that the problem had been I HADN'T BEEN LISTENING TO THEM LOUD ENOUGH. Wack up the volume and it all makes sense. Buy the Gods of War live cd and you will see what i mean. The most powerful live cd i have ever heard.

As for posers....they are the complete opposite. With a song called Metal Warriors with a lyric "wimps and posers leave the hall" that explains it all. The band live and die for metal and everything it stands for. They always have time for the fans and listen to what we have to say. If you don't like them, too bad, fuck off and listen to something else.

Manowar have never really had the respect they deserve in the UK (like Saxon and Motorhead in the 80's and 1990's) The UK suffers from being an island and has a very inward looking attitude, where we think we do everything better and generaly ridicule other countries and cultures. this attitude stinks and as such Manowar, Saxon and others looked to true metal countries like Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain etc where the fans were more vocal and less fashion lead. Now however, things are changing for the better and a whole new generation of new Uk true metal fans are discovering the band for the first time.

I have met many truly great, lovely people through Manowar's music. The band, like their fans, are totally honest, true people who live for metal music and the lifestyle. Naturally the same goes for Saxon too. I hope to see Saxon up on stage next year with Manowar at the Magic Circle Festival 2009. Then i could die a happy man.

HAIL AND KILL. FUCK THE WORLD!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhNW...eature=related
thx man!yes i love manowar and i think their attitude is just what metal is all about!but what the f*ck i dont understand some people talking shit about them i think they just don't know anything about music.and what really pisses me off,some metalheads who listen to the death/black metal genre and considering all the heavy/thrash genre as weak!i have to ask them :IS BLACK MEAL MUSIC?some of death metal is good but the most is just noise!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter260859 View Post
I've never really listend to MANOWAR to say the least. But i've bought their Hail to England CD today, when it comes from Amazon i shall have a listen and see if i like it, if i do i'll buy more of their CD's.

Way to go! what a way to start the collection. When you play it back, make sure it's loud, remember it was recorded in 1984 and revel in it's awesome heaviness. Tracks like Blood of my enemies, Hail to England, Bridge of death are immense. The whole cd is a classic of metal.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 AM

Some people talk shit about the band as they perceive their lyrics and the whole attitude to be dumb and Joey de Maio says what the hell he thinks and puts some people's noses out of joint lol! He will always strive for the best for the band and their fans, whether it's the best sound, best venue, best ticket prices etc.

You have to have a sense of humour to be into Manowar. They ain't stupid and regularly poke fun at themselves but at the end of the day, they make glorious bombastic heart felt heavy metal. Once you understand their music you see that some of it is really heavy (not Machine Head type of heavy or lamb of God heavy), but just simple heavy riffs and as such, most people into them prefer the heavier styles of metal like thrash and death or power metal too.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Some people talk shit about the band as they perceive their lyrics and the whole attitude to be dumb and Joey de Maio says what the hell he thinks and puts some people's noses out of joint lol! He will always strive for the best for the band and their fans, whether it's the best sound, best venue, best ticket prices etc.

You have to have a sense of humour to be into Manowar. They ain't stupid and regularly poke fun at themselves but at the end of the day, they make glorious bombastic heart felt heavy metal. Once you understand their music you see that some of it is really heavy (not Machine Head type of heavy or lamb of God heavy), but just simple heavy riffs and as such, most people into them prefer the heavier styles of metal like thrash and death or power metal too.
other bands play manowar kill!