View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Smile Masterpiece!

Finally, I can also write about this release and music, because I'm already after the third listening to the whole. The release is beautiful. A replica of the 747 text, hand-signed and numbered by Biff, and a beautiful collection of guitar picks make this edition worth buying, the more so that ordinary is not much cheaper. It was analogous with cd, because the ones containing the replica setlist were cheaper than the current version without the setlist! Unfortunately I didn't draw any tickets but you don't always have to win! In 2013, I won one of fifteen randomly inserted tickets for the special version of Sacrifice (D2C Deluxe). That is why I was able to see the whole rehearsal of the band before the concert in Warsaw in 2014 and meet these wonderful and very nice musicians for the second time. I have been well over 10 times at the concerts of this noble band and it still doesn't bore me.

But let's get to the music evaluation on The Eagle Has Landed 40. In my opinion, this release aspires to the best concert compilation Saxon and all heavy metal in general. Already the first song hammered me to the floor. Nigel's drums literally like thunder, Biff's vocals like a bell and Doug's sparkling solo put on their knees. In turn, Nibbs' bass is like a pulsating heart of a lion in every song. The game of Paul, my favorite guitarist, reminds me of a spider on the web but it's not the web but the guitar fretboard. I agree with the previous speaker that the Machine Gun solo in the original is better but the whole thing is better in the concert version. It just cuts like a machine gun. However, it should be noted that the musicians simply stated that they would not play Graham Oliver's solos and that is why there are different songs in each song that they re-composed with Doug. And it's very good that it happened because in most cases they are better, such as the second solo in Princess of The Night or the solo in Play it Loud, not to mention Frozen Rainbow (which was missing on the described release, that's why I judge based on the concert from the album additional to the album The Inner Sanctum), in which Doug in my opinion can easily compete with Garry Moor in Still Got The Blues. For me, Saxon is a whole and not just the eighties and what's more, I think it is in the best composition now. The release includes many great new songs like Demon Sweeny Todd, Valley of the Kings or Chaising The Bullet but also iron classics like Rock and Roll Gypsy, The Eagle Has Landed or Crusader (the last two in the version with a string section, the second drums and they also sound powerful). Is finally the perfect Secret of Flight from the last album. It's also great that Saxon paid tribute to three songs by Lemmie and the guys from Motorhead!

A masterpiece (6/5). That's why I recommend this release to every fan!

Greetings from Warsaw!