Official Saxon Forum

Official Saxon Forum (http://forum.saxon747.com/index.php)
-   Saxon General (http://forum.saxon747.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Destiny Tour 1988 Memories (http://forum.saxon747.com/showthread.php?t=7366)

Paul Quinn's Bandana 02-19-2016 08:07 PM

Destiny Tour 1988 Memories

Did anyone out there see Saxon on their 1988 Destiny Tour in the UK, Europe or US?

Although Destiny was the first Saxon album I bought back in 88, I was too young (in my parents' opinion) to see the tour. However, 28 years later, I have just bought the official Tour T shirt with the UK dates on the back and wondered if any of you guys saw them on that tour?

It was meant to be a really poor tour and almost split the band up, but if any of you actually saw them live then please share your memories as it would be good to know what it was really like!

Thanks

Grizzly 02-29-2016 11:42 AM

Yes, I saw them on that tour. De Montfort Hall in Leicester (10th May 1988 according to setlist.fm, but I'll have to take their word for that!).

It was my first Saxon gig, and all good as far as I can remember. Can't really recall any specifics, other than it was very loud, they didn't have the Eagle lighting rig, and Biff wore black leather trousers.
Support was from a band called Kooga.

Paul Quinn's Bandana 03-04-2016 05:55 PM

Cheers for posting Grizzly. Much appreciated.

I suppose it must have been a decent gig as you've remained a fan since 88!!

Redline 03-12-2016 06:01 AM

Yes, Playhouse Edinburgh Scotland.
All the big Metal bands played there although it had seats so was a bit subdued! Until we started taking the seats out Lol!
Also saw Maiden, Powerslave tour, three encores, brilliant!
Was the last Saxon EMI years gig that had the massive crowd. A great gig but EMI and America beckoned and the cracks started appearing.
Next time I saw them was Solid Ball of Rock tour in 1990.
To me that was the comeback tour.
Travelled the UK to see them in small venues. Absolutely amazing gigs :-)

Paul Quinn's Bandana 03-14-2016 07:11 PM

Thanks for posting Redline. Sounds like it was a good gig with a big crowd on the Destiny Tour.

My first Saxon gig was Manchester on the Solid Ball of rock 1991 tour. Small crowd and quite a short gig but it was good to see the boys live for the first time anyway.

Fingers 03-16-2016 04:28 PM

Was that at the International 2? If so I was at that one.

Paul Quinn's Bandana 03-21-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingers (Post 55433)
Was that at the International 2? If so I was at that one.

Yes it was mate. I was at the front near Graham Oliver. Although these days I make sure I'm on the Quinn Genius side of the stage!

Jim 04-29-2016 03:51 PM

I bought Destiny when it came out and absolutely loved it (still do) but was only 14yrs at the time and couldnt go to any of the gigs. I have the live cd recorded across the UK on that tour which still sounds amazing ;)

Paul Quinn's Bandana 04-29-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 55630)
I bought Destiny when it came out and absolutely loved it (still do) but was only 14yrs at the time and couldnt go to any of the gigs. I have the live cd recorded across the UK on that tour which still sounds amazing ;)

Yeah Jim. I was 13 and was too young to see them at Manchester Apollo.
What is the live album you have which was recorded on the UK Destiny Tour? I have Rock n Roll Gypsies but that was recorded in Eastern Europe I think.

Jim 04-30-2016 10:18 AM

Actually I think the album was recorded over 1989/90. It's called "Greatest Hits Live" 1st 10 yrs. It's quite hard to pick up these days I understand.