Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Angry Hmmm!! Yet again, Taking the P**s

Hi all,

Whilst not wishing to give this particular release any more publicity than it deserves, especially on here, I thought I would post a pic of the new studio album due next month from 'that other band'!!

Granted they've changed the logo but is the background not the Wheels of Steel album

Perhaps it's just me but I'm getting a bit ticked off with this all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 747rick; 01-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM

even stole the Motorhead font for the word motorbiker!!! such imagination.tut tut
Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM

Yeah it's a bit of a pisser, especially when you see some of the shows they do where the promoter is saying "Saxon" and not ODS..not sure how much of that is encouraged by ODS.

If you go to the ODS myspace they actually have a few songs from this new album that you can listen to...it's just beyond bad, it just plain awful. I'd rather listen to monkey's screeching than that!

More than anything I feel a bit sorry for them, they are clearly stuck in the past and have not progressed at all..I remembered in the Heavy Metal Thunder dvd thinking to meself that they came across as not only Bitter Betty's (mainly Graham) but Dobby kept going on and on about groupies, sex, etc...kinda sad that he seems not to have moved on from that. I thought they came across as a bunch of clowns, to be honest.

Yeah, I may bitch that Saxon plays lots of the old stuff at shows, but at least they have new music that actually sounds new and more important, damn good. Kinda of disproves those that say the OD were behind all the hits from the early days....not to say they did not contribute but clearly it was not all them, as they would have you think, at least according to some of the comments I've seen them leave on various Saxon FB tribute pages
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Schämsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
Hi all,

Whilst not wishing to give this particular release any more publicity than it deserves, especially on here, I thought I would post a pic of the new studio album due next month from 'that other band'!!

Granted they've changed the logo but is the background not the Wheels of Steel album

Perhaps it's just me but I'm getting a bit ticked off with this all the time.
rick do you know ODS?

The Drummer has Landed
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=midnightrider;42321]even stole the Motorhead font for the word motorbiker!!! such imagination.tut tut [/QUOTE THE logo look,s like an old hawkwind album cover.....
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsue View Post
More than anything I feel a bit sorry for them, they are clearly stuck in the past and have not progressed at all..I remembered in the Heavy Metal Thunder dvd thinking to meself that they came across as not only Bitter Betty's (mainly Graham) but Dobby kept going on and on about groupies, sex, etc...kinda sad that he seems not to have moved on from that. I thought they came across as a bunch of clowns, to be honest.
Well said

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM

I think its quite close to being the shittest album cover I've ever seen. Even from the '80s when thrash bands had all sorts of amateur crap on the front I don't recall seing anything quite that bad.

Their graphic designer must be working for half a bitter and a bag of salted nuts.

Absolutely Shitetacular!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schämsz View Post
rick do you know ODS?
No mate, I met Graham Oliver on several occasions when he was guesting for Mickey Finn's T-Rex a few years back. He signed some of my older albums and sent me a copy of his solo album and a copy of RE//Landed by ODS. We also had, on more than one occasion a fairly lengthy 'discussion' about Saxon, SOB and ODS.

To be fair to him he seemed like a nice guy and considering I was honest and blunt with him about things he spoke at great length about his side of things and didn't take it the wrong way which I was very grateful for.

I just wish, as other people have also posted here, that they would move on. It's taken them many years to record a new studio album and when they finally do they are still trying to get that 'dig' in. Whether it's comments made, logo, artwork, promotion etc they cannot leave it be. There always has to be that little bit of bitterness.

If they called themselves SOB, or Oliver Dawson and Friends or whatever I would go and watch them, have a good night and go home. By all means record an album, play some old Saxon tracks etc but this continual 'We are Saxon' thing is getting tedious.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 PM

As i have said before i wont slag off Graham or Steve they have created great songs and memories that we all love to this day.Just change the name and get rid of the god awful singer!!!! end of.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 PM

On a reissue of Holy Diver by Dio, there was some Dio Interviews, in which I recall Dio saying something like "Everyone gets kicked out of a band, you either deal with it or you don't" - while I will not dispute that Oliver and Dawson are nice enough guys, I think they have not been able to deal with being released from Saxon -

But I have said this before after watching the Saxon documentary I have sympathy for Steve Dawson because, from what I gathered, he effectively he was kicked out by Saxon's manager and left behind but I do think Graham Oliver did deserve the sack as he was trying to sell a Saxon bootleg illegally behind the bands back.

As soon as ODS gets renamed back to SOB and their singer either gets replaced or has singing lessons, I will always get the impression that they have not dealt with being kicked out

Hell lets put it this way, when Ozzy Osborne got kicked out of Black Sabbath, he didn't go and create a Osborne Black Sabbath, he dealt with it (more or less) and moved onto a successful solo career - I believe that Oliver and Dawson has the ability to do just that if they moved on

Stalk me on LastFM