Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Introduce Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Default 2nd time fan

Hi! One of those old "lost and found" Saxon fans here.
I first became a fan, and a metalhead in general, when I was blown away by 'Heavy Metal Thunder' back in 1981 (hearing it on a small cassette player, sitting in a tiny cabin on a riverbank; headbangers are born in the strangest places). Years of rabid fandom followed - though getting to see them live was a hassle when you lived in the far north of Sweden - and I went through my latter teens with a 'Denim & Leather' patch on the back of my jacket (I always wanted one with 'Wheels of Steel', though)... until my friends and I gradually lost faith during that latter 80s period. When 'Destiny' came out I don't think any of us even bothered to check it out.

Years passed, my musical tastes started swaying until I'd covered anything from grindcore to Japanese bubblegum pop. A few of the old 80s heroes kept going strong, but most of the time you'd just get depressed to see how they'd sunk in Ballad Swamp, turned into their own cover bands, or hired Blaze Bayley. Once or twice I did hear comments to the effect that Saxon were back in shape and making great albums again, but hey, that's what the press said when 'Innocence' came out too. You check them out, it turns out they're making cutesy videos with Alicia Silverstone or something. Think I'll keep my memories unsullied, thank you very much.

It was YouTube that eventually got my eyes open, just a couple of years ago. I found a video of 'The Eagle Has Landed' at Wacken '01; some new faces there, but the performance was absolutely monumental, and Biff's voice sounded better than it did in the 80s. What the heck..? It got me to check out more of the stuff there - first more live videos of the old classics (turned out they'd never sounded so good live before), then gradually peeking at the newer material (considerably heavier than the classics). And once I'd decided to make a decent effort to catch up, I started to realize how much there was to catch up on - you know, most bands this age make a new album every 7 years or so...

So here I am, a fledging Saxon fan for the second time, still in the process of catching up. There's been a lot of pleasant surprises, a couple of pretty bad ones (Oliver/Dawson Saxon) but on the whole it's looking really good so far.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Welcome back to the family - another recruit to the strong Swedish and Scandanavian family on the forum.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Hi! Welcome (back)!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum Khelatar, similar story to myself becoming a born again Saxon fan.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkster View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum Khelatar, similar story to myself becoming a born again Saxon fan.
hjiuhjihjjhjhjkhjkhkjhjh
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 PM

hello! it's interesting you're from sweden so you didn't see saxon in the 80's when you became a fan-i think nowdays sweden and finland are promised lands for heavy metal bands (old and new ones), metal is dominating in the charts. what are your thoughts on that subject? how is it really like for metal in sweden/scandinavia? why do you think metal is so huge there?
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
it's interesting you're from sweden so you didn't see saxon in the 80's when you became a fan
At least not when you were in northern Sweden... It's an oblong country and most bands just came to play in Stockholm and the other large southern cities, so to see them you'd first have to travel across the country and find accomodations in the capital -- not easy when you're 16 and don't have relatives living there.

Gold stars to Nazareth and Motörhead for actually going up north on their respective mid-80s tours, btw.

Quote:
how is it really like for metal in sweden/scandinavia? why do you think metal is so huge there?
It's certainly doing very well right now but I really don't know why. It wasn't that way at all in the early 80s - two of the gospel truths of life as a headbanger back then were, chicks don't listen to metal (you might find a pop chick who wants to date you anyway, though) and Swedes don't play metal (well, there was one (1) band out there, called Heavy Load, but people's opinions on them varied a lot).
When Europe appeared there was a huge boom of new bands, though pretty much all came from exactly the same mold of Whitesnake wannabees (I was lucky to be associated with one of the few that absolutely did not, but that's another story). Then toward the end of the 80s all these young death metal outfits suddenly came crawling out of the woodwork and... well, suffice to say the local scene has changed a lot several times over.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelatar View Post
Thanks everyone!

At least not when you were in northern Sweden... It's an oblong country and most bands just came to play in Stockholm and the other large southern cities, so to see them you'd first have to travel across the country and find accomodations in the capital -- not easy when you're 16 and don't have relatives living there.
I understand you, since the same happens in Italy but in an opposite way: usually bands play in North and sometimes Centre Italy but scarcely in the South.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM

hello and welcome to the forum
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Welcome back, glad you have found Saxon again....enjoy