Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Introduce Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Default My 1st posting & my opinion of Saxon

I am just in my 40's and 'wheels of steel' was the first single I ever bought. They werent my favorite band at the time, as I have got older and those bands I liked more have disapeared then I got back into them again. I hadnt seen the band and wanted to go see em. Last years Manchester gig clashed with a visit to Dublin. When I got to Dublin and was walking round Temple bar I saw a poster showing Saxon playing that night. We walked in as it was close to the end of the gig. The place was rocking/sweating and bouncing. I only heard the last 3 songs or so but it was great. I did buy a t-shirt so didnt feel too guilty about not paying.

Then this year I bought tickets for the Manchester show.. which was postponed till after this channel 4 show. I was a bit miffed but now I think it is a good thing. The publicity from the channel 4 show has got more people interested in the band. Im one of em. All of the old arses around who have followed them through thick and thin deserve a pat on the back. Hey Im a KISS fan and was proud to see a band that could only do 3,000 in the UK and then headlined Donnington again, now they only do gigs in bloody vegas. SAXON can become a big band again if they want too. They dont have to change their music just get a bigger profile and use their longevity to their advantage.

I bought up a few Saxon cd's to fill my collection, you cant just have wheels of steels, demin n leather, 80's stuff. So I bought the new cd and listened to it in the car. I couldnt believe it. Honest, on first hearing I thought it was another band. Not SAxon, if I was being critical then I would say thats biffs too low in the mix. Second time I thought it was brilliant and upto date. My kids are 17 & 16 and all into rock and metal. You know trivium, bullet, etc and my eldest has nicked the cd to put it on his ipod.

And for the record, as a test I played him the 2 versions of 'if i was you' and he thinks the 1st (Biffs) version is by far the best and new sounding. I agree with him. Also he thinks the opening track on the cd is brilliant as well.

I dont know what you think of my comments, from now on I will go to see the band on every tour. I was going to before the channel 4 show but the show must have made other rockers think again. Their profile is so low for a seminal rock band. I have maidens new album and its not a patch on saxons but their profile is better. That must be down to better management. It looks like saxons management team is looking to Germany but the UK should become the bread and butter again.

Sorry for a large posting but I look forward to posting here again, all the best see you all at the academy.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:42 PM

That's great to hear,at least the documentary is bringing some old fans back,as well as introducing some new ones.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

Nice first post! Welcome back to the fold from one of those "old arses" you mentioned

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Ah, Temple Bar! Nice place! Welcome! Interesting post: glad to see people with family still ready to rock!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Great post. Welcome back to the SAXON FAMILY !

Make sure you take your kids to the academy, as watching Saxon live will hook them fpr sure we can all guarantee it.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL