Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Rock the Nations has a light production, otherwise, I don't think it's bad at all.

I actually like to hear some of the cheesy tunes on Destiny from time to time. It has something catchy to it, even if it definately is sort of a weak album.
I can't wait anymore is a good easy listening track, definitely.

Last edited by Fabs; 04-22-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 AM

At least RTN and FF had a little bit of fire, spirit, and attitude to them, even if they are mostly poor albums. Destiny had no fire or attitude to it at all; it just lay there flat, limp, and uninspired. It sounds like adult contemporary music. I dare say Journey or Foreigner are heavier than that album.

Don't get me wrong, Saxon has been my favorite band since 1981/82. It hurts me to speak ill of them for any reason; however I am a very passionate fan and have to call it as I see it. Destiny is shiite IMO.

Last edited by moofish747; 04-23-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM

I think it needs to be reissued.There is a copy on ebay it is going f0r 31 and still has 3 days left!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
I think it needs to be reissued.There is a copy on ebay it is going f0r 31 and still has 3 days left!
That's the thing though, I'm a 17-year old boy, I can't afford to spend 31 on a CD, that would be like half my entire bank account!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofish747 View Post
At least RTN and FF had a little bit of fire, spirit, and attitude to them, even if they are mostly poor albums. Destiny had no fire or attitude to it at all; it just lay there flat, limp, and uninspired. It sounds like adult contemporary music. I dare say Journey or Foreigner are heavier than that album.

Don't get me wrong, Saxon has been my favorite band since 1981/82. It hurts me to speak ill of them for any reason; however I am a very passionate fan and have to call it as I see it. Destiny is shiite IMO.
Yeah I know where you are coming from mate. The thing that a lot of people miss about the Destiny album is that it does actually have some cracking songs on it. It is just the piss poor AOR production that lets it down. I have said it before, but when Heavy Metal Thunder was released I couldn't see the point in all those songs being re-recorded because we all know them, have heard them live and have got them all on live albums. The stuff that should have been recorded are songs like 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', 'Red Alert', 'Jericho Siren', 'Calm Before The Storm', 'Devil Rides Out'. 'Nightmare', these are all good songs that would sound 100 times better with better metal like production.

Having said that, the Destiny album as it stands now could have really open some doors for Saxon in America. Those aren't necessarilly heavy metal doors, but it could have broken the band into other markets. But with Saxons management and promotion at the time, that was never ever gonna happen!

The beauty of music is that we all hear something different in a song and an album. I for one think Destiny is a very unfortunate album, it holds some cracking Saxon songs have been forgotton.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 AM

I hear what you're saying as well, Paxoman. However, I would argue that those songs aren't really as 'cracking' as they're cracked up to be. I really don't think it's so much the fault of the production, either. I think they're just inferior songs. (w/inferior production). It was a total failure, all the way around. I can't name one song off the album that I would put on a 'best of' Saxon compilation. I mean, 'Innocence' had a slick production as well; but 'Broken Heroes', 'Devil Rides Out', and 'Rock n Roll Gypsy' were still great 'cracking' songs regardless. Nothing on Destiny even comes close to those songs in my opinion. A damn Christopher Cross cover song overshadowed and is remembered more than everything else on there. If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will IMO. You might say 'Red Alert' or 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' or something was decent, but just listen to Biff's uninspired performance--no fire, no spirit, no wildness, no attitude or personality; nothing. Sounds like he was just mailing it in to me. I also disagree that it was Saxon's label or management that prevented that album from doing anything here in America. It just wasn't a good enough product. Especially with all the strong releases being offered at the time. I remember it came out around the same time as Queensryche's 'Operation Mindcrime'; I bought them both the same day and played them back to back. No comparison whatsoever. The songs just weren't good enough; not even for wimpy AOR radio, etc. (There really wasn't much of an AOR market here at the time; it was all metal and MTV, etc.) And it certainly wasn't going to compete with the strong thrash or glam waves going on here at the time. They were in no man's land basically. Even a decent pop song like 'I Can't Wait Anymore' had no outlet or audience here at the time. Couple that with the fact that Saxon was an established METAL band here--(they had BATTLE AXES in their logo for Chrissakes! lol)--the pandering and calculated selling out effect was just too obscene and obvious. It reeked of total ass-kissing and trying too hard to be something they're not. It totally fed into the perceived identity crisis they had seemingly been displaying recently up to that point. That album held absolutely no appeal to anybody. It was the absolute wrong album at the absolute wrong time. A greater misfire could not have been made. And I SO wanted to like it--Saxon was then and still is my favorite band of all time. I remember thinking that they had slowly been letting me down more and more with each release going more and more commercial or whatever--that they absolutely HAD to come storming back with a REAL METAL album now! And then the needle hit the vinyl and I literally could've cried. I almost swore them off. I thought they had peaked w/Power & the Glory, and that it was all over now--I had lost them for good this time. But then a few years later a good live album came out('Rock n Roll Gypsies') and then 'Solid Ball of Rock' really restored my faith again--they were back!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling; just thought I'd share my personal experience w/that album and explain why I think it was the absolute low point in Saxon's career IMO. To each their own however; if you like and enjoy those songs then more power to you. Different strokes for different folks and as you said that's the beauty of music--we all hear it and appreciate it differently.

With all that said I agree it should be re-mastered and re-issued(I thought it already had been a few years ago??). All I have is a burned copy of that cd so I need the official product for my collection. And in those rare moments when I might want a little easy listening AOR , I'd rather listen to Saxon do it than anyone else! lol

Last edited by moofish747; 04-29-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

Quote:
............Different strokes for different folks and as you said that's the beauty of music--we all hear it and appreciate it differently.

Well stated! The beauty of this forum is it's infinite diversity of opinion!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling; just thought I'd share my personal experience w/that album and explain why I think it was the absolute low point in Saxon's career IMO. To each their own however; if you like and enjoy those songs then more power to you. Different strokes for different folks and as you said that's the beauty of music--we all hear it and appreciate it differently.
I appreciated your rambling! Anyway I think the production of Rock the Nations is really good, meanwhile the one of Destiny and Innocense is good but not proper for Saxon. But we are talking about two albums that aren't typically Saxon-like: the Deaf Leppard album and the AOR one. To me they are quite good (especially Destiny), but thay share the problem to have Saxon moniker on the cover! Personally I dislike AOR, but I consider Destiny really catchy and well played (especially regarding the guitar work). I don't subscribe the point of view about vocals by Biff. But there's a thing can put we all on the same side: thanks God nowadays Saxon are quite different indeed!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM

well many years ago biff in a interview on the radio said YOU DON'T WRITE YOUR BEST SONG'S FOR A RECORD COMPANY THAT'S ABOUT TO DROP YOU !thats why i think destiny is not a true saxon album in my view.but i still have it in my collection though its never played!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 AM

Interesting.
And yet another great post from Moofish, on this occassin however, I dont neccessarily agree.
You make some good points and I can see what you are saying.
I need to listen to Destiny again before committing myself in too strong words but certainly I remember it as an OK album. Which, by the way, I had no problem geting on CD.
For me its RtN that is disjointed and lacks the passion that we so enjoy with Biff and the boys.
More to come on this topic .....