Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty35 View Post
I went off Maiden after 7th son, Adrian Smith was their best & most creative guitarist & when he left it SHOWED!

I know Smith has been back in the band for some years now, but it's hard to re-create that type of magic, but fair play to them...they still fly the flag for Heavy Metal, respect!

Matty
Agreed. I started listening to ASAP years ago and while they are cheesy 80s, my word Adrian sounds immense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
I've heard El Dorado and the track "The Final Frontier" and both songs in my opinion are tame and really not good Iron Maiden tracks but they both seem to lack "heavy metal" as they just sound like "rock" these days.

For a band like Saxon who have always claimed to be both heavy metal and rock makes sense to have heavy metal tracks and rock tracks but a band like Iron Maiden who really has always been progressive but still very much heavy metal that puts out mellow rock tracks doesn't seem right to me.

I really think that Iron Maiden have run out of ideas at this point and are making up dribble. There is no way that they will EVER produce an album like Powerslave, Piece Of Mind or The Number Of The Beast again. What a shame.
I love Iron Maiden to bits me. I have almost every album. But I agree with a lot of fans; Iron Maiden have yet to release a decent album this century. The last few albums have had a few crackers, leaving the rest of the albums to be very boring. They also should also never let Nikko write a song. Ever. Again. XD

The Wicker Man showed a lot of promise when it was released but they've turned into this old dad band with slow funeral-type tracks. They're still popular now because Bruce tends to be rather outspoken and they have a lot of energy whereas other bands tend to give up and charge hundreds too much for a passionless show. So I credit Maiden for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWoody View Post
I listened to the Final Frontier and thought it was OK, nothing more.
As I like to collect CD's I have ordered the album for the sake of being a completest, I do not expect it to be anywhere near as good as Labyrinth though.

And for the record I think "Seventh Son" is one of the most overated albums of all time, its poor for me. Give me any of the first three Maiden albums any time, thank you.
I think Iron Maiden are *trying* to recreate Seventh Son in their latest albums. I could hear hints of it in the last album whilst remaining that slow old dad rock band. They recently slammed Metallica for changing their style, but I far more respect Metallica for trying something new than Maiden who don't try anything new at all, bore me to tears and slag off anyone in their path. In fact... Bruce has slagged off a lot of people lately.......

I hate calling them an old dad rock band because I love them to bits. I even love the Blaze Bailey and DiAnno eras (ooooh controversy)

I am weird. Take me seriously at your own peril.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Again,there is no right or wrong opinion of course but I just can't see what anybody sees in Iron maiden these last 26 years from 1986 Somewhere In Time to 2010 The Final Frontier,its a totally different band.

There was an incredible drop off from 1984's Powerslave wich was the band's last great album to 1986's Somewhere In Time...what happened?

And I agree with XR,I also think Seventh Son is totally overrated big time,that album is a touch better than Somewhere In Time but the album still is tame and holds songs of less than average in quality.

I think aliens from another planet came down and took the real Iron Maiden to another planet after the Powerslave tour and gave us robot clones of Iron Maiden that has been giving us shitty albums ever since.

Yeah the band's first 5 studio albums from 1980 debut Iron maiden to 1984 Powerslave are untouchable to any other Maiden albums in comparison.Thats the last 10 fuckin studio albums in a row that have sucked out loud from this overrated band.I used to love this band,I remember when The Number Of The Beast was released in 82',I remember the excitment when they released Piece Of Mind in 83' and even though Powerslave isn't as good as the first 4 albums,it still is the last great album from Iron Maiden and I remember when it was released in 84' I was 14 years old!

And then there was the shitty song "Wasted Years" and the crappy album that it was on(Somewhere In Time) and they have never recovered since! Sure there are a couple of songs here and there that are ok but 75% of each of thier last 10 studio albums sucks and its unacceptable for me.

I just don't get it and I for one will cellebrate when Iron Maiden retire for good,I won't be missing anything at all.

They may as well retired after 1984's Powerslave because there isn't anything worthy after that but I do understand other people's interest in the band though,my band that I used to like Died after the Powerslave album and tour.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 07-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Again,there is no right or wrong opinion of course but I just can't see what anybody sees in Iron maiden these last 26 years from 1986 Somewhere In Time to 2010 The Final Frontier,its a totally different band.

I just don't get it and I for one will cellebrate when Iron Maiden retire for good,I won't be missing anything at all.

They may as well retired after 1984's Powerslave because there isn't anything worthy after that but I do understand other people's interest in the band though,my band that I used to like Died after the Powerslave album and tour.
I can only speak for myself but I certainly won't shoot you for your opinion so there's no need to say stuff like in my opinion etc. But I love Somewhere in Time so I will have to shoot you. Joke. I like it because it's a cheesy 80s album that reminds me of when I was growing up in the 80s, so it's a nostalgia thing. But I will agree their first few albums are most superior.

I kinda don't want them to retire because they are a good band, but I do wish Bruce would stop slagging people off it's not cool.

I am weird. Take me seriously at your own peril.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM

I feel since the Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Iron Maiden seems to become more progressive in their music, could say it they are a "New Wave Of British Progressive Metal" - or NWOBPM.

Yes, Iron Maiden has released only above average albums this side of a Seventh Son that contain one or two killer tracks, like "For The Grater Good Of God" and "The Legacy" was two of the best out of "A Matter Of Life And Death"

There is a part of me that wishes they could go back to making shorter tracks pre-Seventh Son.

I love Iron Maiden and hope they go on when Dickinson is in his 80's, Iron Maiden set my music taste and diverted me from the path of chart, dance, Drum and Base, hip-hop and psudo-R&B (or as it is called, "RnB") which resulted in me listening to real music (which by the way, a new freesat channel aimed at the "over 50's" is coming out in Britain in September that plays music of 1940-1989, hopefully there will be some metal in there)

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

They have always been proggy right from the start and continue to do so which is fine with me as i love it. They are a live band first and foremost and there is a reason they are as big as they are. Just my opinion Up the Irons!

and I love Saxon just as much too
Well everybody else was adding to this thread... and I must agree with Jim to an extent. Saxon, Maiden, Def, Dio, Priest, Riot, and UFO make up the sound of true metal. I just saw Dream Theater and Maiden together as my first metal concert and they may have left out a couple songs but Bruce is awesome. If there was a choice, I'd rather see Saxon for my first live metal gig but beggars can't be choosers. The Labyrinth will be playing in my car before Frontier will. Long live metal!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Hmmmm really disliked the new song by Maiden it really seems like they are missing something. I don't want to judge an album by only one song but it is a long awaited album by them and it seems very poor. They have defo lost the edge and passion. Think this album will defo be there last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
dio once said that def leppard are diarrhea rock band-same goes for maiden!
He only said that because he was very sore about one of the members of def leppard, namely vivian campbell. Dio also wished that Vivian & his family would die he really despised him but took it out on the band.
"I'm sick of people saying our music is too loud, They never stop complaining, try to turn us down, But if you want it louder we'll turn it up full blast, They'll never stop the music they're living in the past."
Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 PM

i know about dio and campbell story but leppard really are shit rock or call it whatever you want (and i don't mean to offend people who likes them)
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM

no matter how bad or great there latest album maiden will alway be remembered as one (if not the best) rock bands ever.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM

i wonder where it will chart?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
i wonder where it will chart?
At the Chicago concert Bruce said something about how based on pre-orders alone the album would debut at #3 in the U.S. So I honestly think they have an outside shot at #1, which would be an amazing accomplishment for a metal band that gets no radio play! And, just in general it would be great for metal to have Maiden debut at #1.