Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Heaven and Hell Toronto March 22nd

I remember reading on the old forum that some of you were planning on going to see these guys later in the year so I'll pass on some thoughts.

A buddy and I headed to the show early and *bumped* into the band at their hotel. First off, I have to say, I've seen Dio play live a few times but never really realized just how tiny that man is. Makes you wonder where the hell that voice of his comes from! Despite the manager-types trying to put us off (late for sound check, blah, blah, blah) they all stopped and chatted and all signed a tour program (Mob Rules tour) we had brought along. Extremely down to earth, no airs, and we even got a "It's Magic" from Dio along with the wave across the eyes. Quite funny, actually. Best line was from Geezer though. They were signing a band picture and he looks at it, looks at us, looks back at the picture and says "Right. Which one was I supposed to be back then?" Funny stuff. It was at this point that we (the idiots that we are) realized we didnt bring a camera so no snaps I'm afraid.

There were two bands opening - Down and Megadeth. We missed Down entirely due to 'just one more - plenty of time yet'
I have never been a big fan of Megadeth but their set was pretty good. Ten songs in total - recognized 'Peace Sells' and 'Wake Up Dead'. Good, but didn't make a convert out of me.

The main event - Heaven and Hell
The set list as follows:

E5150
After All
The Mob Rules
Children of The Sea
Lady Evil
I
Sign of The Southern Cross
Voodoo
The Devil Cried
Vinny Appice Drum Solo
Computer God
Falling Off The Edge of The World
Shadow of The Wind
Die Young
Heaven and Hell
Neon Knights

I sounded unbelievably good live (much better than the album version) and Falling Off the Edge was another highlight. The Devil Cried and Shadow of the Wind are two of the three new tunes they have been playing from the album coming out in April. Excellent stuff. From what others have told me, at every other stop they have played all three new ones (incl. Ear In the Wall) as well as Lonely is the Word (as first encore) but we got nicked.

As this was Toronto's token big-name hard rock show for the year, it was a sellout at about 15000 but considering they played in an arena, the sound was really good with all four clearly audible. All of them were spot on too - no frills or goofy showmanship, just hard rock as it was meant to be played. Particularly impressed with Dio as, let's face it, the man probably qualifies for social security but you certainly can't tell by that voice. Lighting and the stage set were pretty cool too - an oversized castle front with tombstones and such plus viewers above that changed with the songs. On the track Heaven and Hell, a red light shines from below onto Dio's face - good atmosphere.

Anyway, if you get a chance, this is one of the very few reunion tours that will likely live up to the hype. Not sure who the support will be in Europe (Motorhead was actually the opener in British Columbia and Alberta) but H&H are worth the price alone.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Many thanks for the excellent review. Can't wait for the UK Tour - and I also plan to see them (with Saxon) at Spirit of Rock Festival at Winterthur in June. Anyone else going to the Swiss gig ?

Cheers,

Goss.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Thank you,
excellent setlist.
I'll see them in Germany in June, at "Bang Your head Festival!!!"
Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

Sounds like H&H are living up to my expectations!! Cheers Canucklehead!!