Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Judas Priest

i just searched this forum and realized there is no judas priest topic and i want to correct that. there is topics with judas priest in the title but no just "judas priest" topic.

what do you think of them? i must say i like new 30th anniversary of british steel dvd, it's better than rising in the east and rob's voice is in better shape
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
i just searched this forum and realized there is no judas priest topic and i want to correct that. there is topics with judas priest in the title but no just "judas priest" topic.

what do you think of them? i must say i like new 30th anniversary of british steel dvd, it's better than rising in the east and rob's voice is in better shape
Ha,of course this draws me in like a spider in a web innuendo I couldn't resist! Judas Priest are my favorite band of all time,with Saxon #2,its just the way it is for me.I started listening to Judas Priest in 1981 when I was 11 years old from seeing the Heading Out To the Highway video.

I agree that the 30 year anniversary of British Steel DVD is awsome,and I too think its better than Rising In The East. They have 16 studio albums and there are only 3 of them I don't like: Turbo,Demolition and Nostradamus.

Ram It Down is weak too but its better than Turbo by a long shot,at least half of Ram It Down is cool,kinda like Point Of Entry,half of its cool and half is lame. All other albums are excellent Judas Priest but only in my opinion of course. I just can't wait till they put out a new freaking studio album.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Saxon have always been my fav band with judas priest 2nd, but look back through both their catalogues and and it shows that they are 2 of the greatest metal bands ever , ive seen saxon live 30 times, but only seen judas priest twice both are great live, what id like to see is a world tour judas priest/saxon. give us metalheads something fantastic to remember, i know saxon opened for priest in europe in 1980 ,and in london 2001, but what an amazing tour it would be to see them together now. what everyone else think ?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM

i started listen to priest before saxon but over the period of time i started to like saxon more than priest. in 80's both saxon and priest were at their peak (creatively and commercially) but in the 90's (painkiller and solid ball of rock-can't deicide at the moment which album i prefer) and now in a new millennium saxon has better albums and are more consistent in quality of their albums. and i'm really not interested in the ripper priest albums, i have live in london dvd and that's enough for me from that priest era. both bands are great live and priest are one of my bucket list bands that i really wanted to see live, i had a ticket for their zagreb show (in '07 or '08) but they canceled it a day before due to tipton's health problem (although i heard later that they sold only like 800 tickets)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:

One of my favourite bands.

Hard to pick their best as there are a few to chose from. British Steel, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Sad Wings Of Destiny. I also like screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith.

Nostradamus is awful though. Boring, overblown and self indulgent . Easily the worst Halford fronted Priest album. It makes Ram It down sound like a classic.

I've seen them live twice. (Angel Of Retribution and Nostradamus tours). Musically they are very good and tight as a drum. But Halford's on stage persona is poor. He just ambles from side to side of the stage and sings to the floor. I don't expect him to be swinging from the rafters, but they are many singers close to his age or have far more energy and presence.

I agree with you about the British Steel box set. He sounds much better.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
One of my favourite bands.

Hard to pick their best as there are a few to chose from. British Steel, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Sad Wings Of Destiny. I also like screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith.

Nostradamus is awful though. Boring, overblown and self indulgent . Easily the worst Halford fronted Priest album. It makes Ram It down sound like a classic.

I've seen them live twice. (Angel Of Retribution and Nostradamus tours). Musically they are very good and tight as a drum. But Halford's on stage persona is poor. He just ambles from side to side of the stage and sings to the floor. I don't expect him to be swinging from the rafters, but they are many singers close to his age or have far more energy and presence.

I agree with you about the British Steel box set. He sounds much better.

Hey Lionessheart....about you saying Rob has poor stage persona as you feel he isn't doing enough ect... Well he does have "back problems" and has for the last 8 years since 2004 I belive,and thats not a "cover up"...he actually has a bad back and he is in pain most the time but he hardly ever whines about it,this is why he doesn't move around as much ect...I've heard many people complain about this,but they don't realize how much his back is trashed.

And I agree with you about Nostradamus,it is horrible but not Halford's worst album with Priest...that would be the shit album "Turbo"!!! Nostradamus is the 2nd crappiest album by Priest though. Nothing is worse than that shit album Turbo,at least Nostradamus has 3 "ok" songs on it,Turbo only has 1 and thats Reckless(in my opinion).

I agree with innuendo about nowadays..actually the last 20 years from 1990 to 2010 Saxon has way better albums than Judas Priest and Iron Maiden put together!! Sure JUdas are my favorite,but I give credit where credit is due and the credit belongs to Saxon. Solid Ball Of Rock and Forever Free are poor albums with a few good tracks on each,but from the Dogs Of War album 1995 to Into The Labyrinth 2009...wich would be the last 7 studio album from Saxon are so consistant and kick ass that the crown of British Heavy Metal champions belongs to Saxon!

Beings Judas Priest are my favorite band and forever will be I wish that crown belonged to them,but again,I'm giving credit where cridit is due.Saxon deserves that title of the most consistant heavy metal band in the world these last 20 year...lets say the last 15 years from Dogs Of War. They really amaze me.

Going back to Judas Priest,they really got thrashed for doing the Nostradamus album and I belive that the next studio album they have something to prove,they still are capable of releasing something like Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller so I wouldn't be suprised if they knocked us upside the head with a blistering british heavy metal album.I can only hope.Its do or die for them,if they don't deliver on this next album,they never will so it will be interesting.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 06-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM

i listened to nostradamus maybe 2 times and i remember not liking the album. i think they took themselves a bit too serious with that album and they should get back to the thing they do the best-write same straight to the point, face melting songs with killer riffs and blistering solos. i don't think they have anything to prove to anyone-they proved themselves in the past and they are living legends. on the other hand the fans deserve a quality priest album with all the priest trademarks and i think the band feels that they owe us that.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Like Saxon, Priest are classic Heavy Metal!

Would of love to have seen them on the Painkiller tour, I think at that point in time they were at their finest.

On a lighter note, their video to Breaking The Law always cracks me up, I just can't keep a straight face

Great Band!

Matty
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
i listened to nostradamus maybe 2 times and i remember not liking the album. i think they took themselves a bit too serious with that album and they should get back to the thing they do the best-write same straight to the point, face melting songs with killer riffs and blistering solos. i don't think they have anything to prove to anyone-they proved themselves in the past and they are living legends. on the other hand the fans deserve a quality priest album with all the priest trademarks and i think the band feels that they owe us that.

I fully agree innuendo. I think they got carried away in the studio with Nostradamus. I've only heard the album twice and belive me,thats enough to last me a lifetime,I don't need to hear it again HA!

22 songs on the album,almost an hour and a half long and its full of rubbish,its really boring and I can only get into like 3 songs on it. I still think Turbo is worse! lol! Yes they are legends,but even I have to admit they have not been consistant after the Painkiller LP although they did lose Rob.

I'm not going to try and sell Angel Of Retribution to anyone,but for me its an album that is the band's 5th best in thier career,the only track I don't like is the last song on the album,song #10 "Lochness" but the others are classic JP to me.

But I can understand and respect why others may not care for it,just like I was talking about Maiden how I envy those who like the band's material after Powerslave,for them they got something they like,thats the same for me with the AOR album. But I think that even they can do better,I want to see them put out an album as good as British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller,that would be awsome.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Hey Lionessheart....about you saying Rob has poor stage persona as you feel he isn't doing enough ect... Well he does have "back problems" and has for the last 8 years since 2004 I belive,and thats not a "cover up"...he actually has a bad back and he is in pain most the time but he hardly ever whines about it,this is why he doesn't move around as much ect...I've heard many people complain about this,but they don't realize how much his back is trashed.

And I agree with you about Nostradamus,it is horrible but not Halford's worst album with Priest...that would be the shit album "Turbo"!!! Nostradamus is the 2nd crappiest album by Priest though. Nothing is worse than that shit album Turbo,at least Nostradamus has 3 "ok" songs on it,Turbo only has 1 and thats Reckless(in my opinion).

I agree with innuendo about nowadays..actually the last 20 years from 1990 to 2010 Saxon has way better albums than Judas Priest and Iron Maiden put together!! Sure JUdas are my favorite,but I give credit where credit is due and the credit belongs to Saxon. Solid Ball Of Rock and Forever Free are poor albums with a few good tracks on each,but from the Dogs Of War album 1995 to Into The Labyrinth 2009...wich would be the last 7 studio album from Saxon are so consistant and kick ass that the crown of British Heavy Metal champions belongs to Saxon!

Beings Judas Priest are my favorite band and forever will be I wish that crown belonged to them,but again,I'm giving credit where cridit is due.Saxon deserves that title of the most consistant heavy metal band in the world these last 20 year...lets say the last 15 years from Dogs Of War. They really amaze me.

Going back to Judas Priest,they really got thrashed for doing the Nostradamus album and I belive that the next studio album they have something to prove,they still are capable of releasing something like Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller so I wouldn't be suprised if they knocked us upside the head with a blistering british heavy metal album.I can only hope.Its do or die for them,if they don't deliver on this next album,they never will so it will be interesting.
Actually I didn't realise he had a back problem which explains his lack of energy onstage. However I wish he wouldn't walk back and forth across the stage all the time. It's like watching a tennis match. I'd rather he want to one side and sang for a while, then move to another part of the stage and sing etc.

Turbo... I don't dislike it as much as I do Nostradamus and I think it's better than Ram It down (not by much though!). I've been looking at my iTunes and the Priest albums from Sad Wings up to Defenders have a far higher play count. Painkiller does quite well though.

I agree with you about the next album. I didn't mind Angel Of Retribution (although Lochness pulled it down). But they really need to get back to kick ass heavy metal.

Saxon's last three albums. I do quite like Maiden's last 3, but I do agree that Saxon's last 3 a easily up there with their very best. I'm looking forward to their next album more than Maiden's (and from a die hard Maiden fan that's really saying something)