Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Arctikdeth
Default Arcada Theater - St. Charles, IL.

Excellent show, first rate guys, professional 100%, The assistant Leo was a godsend as well, thank you for your time man, things do not get forgotten.
From the opening riff to the last song, I had to choke back a faint tear i felt welling up in my eyes. Saxon has always been one of those bands from the U.K. that dont come here often, and from the turnout I see why, but thats for another topic. The show was tight & sounded fantastic. Biff sure knows how to work a crowd huh? I thoroughly enjoyed the show, most likely not come back to the states again.
The crowd was uninspired & dull, why are americans to proud to have a good time, your supposed to get fired up, pump your fist, chant, yell, let yourself go for fu*ks sake. I was in the balcony & with a few exceptions, they were ALL reserved & not getting involved in the show, singing, just sitting there like quiet lil school classroom. I dont quite get it, I have been to Wacken 2 times now & seen a show at the 02 in Dublin, I have never seen a more involved crowd than overseas. 90% of americans will not get involved, are we to good to sing, are we embarrassed to show that we enjoy the show, are we to cool to let loose, will we not be cool if we sing along......im at a loss on this topic.
I did enjoy the show, like I enjoy every show I go to, if you see the over zealous guy at the shows clapping, singing, hand always in the air, you've met me then....
In closing, the show was perfect, theres always a song we would like to hear, but the set was perfect, the guys after the show, signing autographs, letting us get pictures with them before their night out with friends is a night I will NEVER forget. Why are the European bands so friendly & approachable & most american bands not available for pictures or autographs, im not saying all, but most.
The show was played to perfection & this is a show that is burned in my mind forever. Thank you for the memories guys. Nigel, Biff, Nibbs, Doug & Paul.....Thank you & should you decide to come back, you can bet you'll meet me again. Such a classy bunch of guys to say the least.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Having never seen Saxon before, I was just looking forward to getting into the band more (as often happens for me after seeing a band live-if I am not all that familiar with them). Holy cow-they are an amazing live band. Biff works like the crowd like only an appreciative veteran can do. The guys sounded tight musically, and looked like they are having fun up there. I may be in the minority here, but I think Call To Arms may be some of their best music ever-I enjoyed all 7 songs played last night and will keep spinning that black circle!

The way people get "into" the show varies from person to person. Some like to make asses of themselves, while others may pump a fist or just move their feet. Some like to dress more "rocker-ish" than the band themselves, and some do look like they are right out of school. Why does that matter? Saxon's getting paid & the fans paid for their tickets, right? I enjoy a show the way I enjoy a show.

Anyway, all 5 guys spent a TON of time outside after the show. They signed every single autograph requested and took tons of photos. They were even asking if they got everyone. I will agree-some American based bands do not do that. These guys truly appreciated those that came out and for someone like me, they just got another big fan-I'm looking today to start getting more of their stuff on vinyl & CD.

I would definitely see them again should they roll through IL. I may have to wait a decade or so, but damn, it'd be worth it!

I had the guys sign my Call To Arms and Into The Labyrinth LPs.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM

I completely enjoyed the show. I dont think I could have had it anybetter. Saxon came, conquered & destroyed the little town of St. Charles. I only wish the fans were a bit more open & enjoyed the show more, everyone was pretty quiet i thought compared to the U.K. fans, and especially the Argentinian fans , if you've ever seen them......now thats a crowd!
Met a lot of cool people as well, man are we getting old or what........?
The setlist was perfect, the sound, was excellent, the venue was very good! If this was at the hob, it would have been screwed up, as the security there is abhorrent to say the least, one lil thinhg & your out on the street. I am still smiling this morning knowing I seen the Mighty Saxon live, i have some pictures & autographs to go along with the memories & for that I appreciate the band for their time in helping make this a special night for many of the Saxon Hordes. I do hope to get to Wacken again, or France's Hell Fest to see you again. We definitely n eed a metal fest in the midwest again....as jack koshick F'd it up for everyone with his Milwaukee metal travesty, buut for the 10 or so years I was there it was great! Mercyful fate, Overkill, and waaaay to many bands to list as i must have seen 1000+ bands over the 10 years i was there annually.

im just chompinig at the bit now, still revelling in my own little stew of being happy & releived I saw Saxon live, so just le tme rant & it will all be over after my fingers are tired which is soon.
Tyhanks for coming near chicago & thank you for taking time to be with some fans, this was memorable & will last forever. I know the band never reads this tripe, but just for my own piece of mind, thanks again fu*kers, you guys are timieless!! eternal cheers & lifelong fan & supporter of metal.

and a very special " Thank you " to Leo for his help with the ignorant american waiting at the foot of the stage for 1 hour for him to return, I misunderstood your words about " their out by the bus " you see at most U.S. shows the bands end the set & their ini their bus quicker thn the time it takes for an anus to snap shut, so you really helped me out, had I known & realised I was dealing with a very cool U.K. band & crew I would not have bothered you. I am so used to american bands & their fan values which are pretty weak, I wouild have actually listened to you & went outside like a normal dude & not bothered you during your busy work routine. For that I appologise. I do owe you a beer, and another thank you & handshake for your time you spent helping me out! I know most fans are ignorant & drunk, I was & am not pne of them, so I do hope our paths cross in the future.... The crew & band were complete gentlemen & a huge warm thank goes out to the entire Saxon band & workforce for their time & efort in making this a wicked night! Thanks you Leo........little deeds do not get forgotten, yes said all this in last rant, but wanted to mkae sure he reads this & hopefully he does to know I am not a dick, but merely a diehard fan who has never witnessed the Saxon horde scramoble my brain for 2.5 hours. oh hell, im done............ ill check back here from time to time, still in awe I saw Saxon live in the states! so wicked. Thanks guys, til next time, maybe in France................or Wacken......you will know me Nigel.....remember,......Mr. Glockler.........Mr. Glockler..... " Stop it, damnet, call me Nigel " ok......cheers to all in Saxon & Thank you for the 30 years of memories, you have made m any lives better & enjoyable. cheers. Go have a nice tall jar of black on me..........
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 AM

Here's the setlist, I'll post my review later tonight (I took a picture of the setlist taped on the stage before the show started):
Hammer of the Gods
Heavy Metal Thunder
Never Surrender
Chasing the Bullet
Motorcycle Man
Back in '79
And The Bands Played On
Battalions of Steel
Call to Arms
Rock N Roll Gypsy
Mists of Avalon
The Town Rocks
When Doomsday Comes
Denim and Leather
Afterburner
Princess of the Night (was not on the setlist)

encore break
Crusader
747 Strangers in the Night
Doug guitar solo
Power and the Glory

encore break
Nibbs bass solo
Strong Arm of the Law
Wheels of Steel

7 songs off Call to Arms
4 songs off Denim and Leather
3 songs off Wheels of Steel
2 songs off Strong Arm
2 songs off The Power and the Glory
1 song off Crusader
1 song off Innocence is No Excuse
1 song off Into the Labyrinth

Link to the setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/saxon/...-63d06a27.html

Last edited by mnsaxonfan; 10-10-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: added setlist.fm link for this show
Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 AM

My first ever Saxon concert, and it was an awesome experience. I was down on the floor in row D of section 101, and just love being that close to the band at any concert.

This is just repeating what everyone already knows, but the band sounded AMAZING. Biff is obviously taking great care of his voice because he sounded perfect, one of the few that can sing everything today just as he could at a younger age (like Dio, Bruce, are there others who can still bring it today like they could 30 years ago that I'm missing?). Doug has the be the most under-appreciated guitarist alive, I have an even greater appreciation/respect for his skill after seeing him play live! Nibbs, a freaking mad-man on stage, I don't even think I can move/shake my head as fast as he does, and he's doing that while playing the bass on stage! Nigel, one of my favorite drummers ever, just the picture of perfection with his work behind the kit, if anything, he makes it look too easy! And Paul, just the consumate professional, and if Doug is under-appreciated, well so is Paul!

Repeating another common theme, the sound was great as well, the vocals were clear, the seperation between both guitars and the bass was clear, and Nigel's drumming was at just the right level (in contrast, I thought the sound for Borealis was a bit muddled).

I actually thought the crowd up close the stage was great, and based on how many times Biff commented on the crowd I think the band agreed. I'm not sure if the band reads the forum or not, but when Biff mentioned how people traveled a long way to get to the show, and he specifically mentioned Minnesota, I couldn't help but think "he's talking about me!!!"

My only minor complaint is, as a big time fan of Saxon...I'd love to have more songs from '87-'09 played. But at the same time, I loved every single song that was played....so the only way to deal with my complaint is to have them play even longer than they did...how about a 3 hour set next time guys!

In conclusion, my first Saxon show rates right at the top of the list of all concerts I've ever been to, loved every minute of it....and just hope that it doesn't end up being my last Saxon concert!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctikdeth View Post
Excellent show, first rate guys, professional 100%, The assistant Leo was a godsend as well, thank you for your time man, things do not get forgotten.
From the opening riff to the last song, I had to choke back a faint tear i felt welling up in my eyes. Saxon has always been one of those bands from the U.K. that dont come here often, and from the turnout I see why, but thats for another topic. The show was tight & sounded fantastic. Biff sure knows how to work a crowd huh? I thoroughly enjoyed the show, most likely not come back to the states again.
The crowd was uninspired & dull, why are americans to proud to have a good time, your supposed to get fired up, pump your fist, chant, yell, let yourself go for fu*ks sake. I was in the balcony & with a few exceptions, they were ALL reserved & not getting involved in the show, singing, just sitting there like quiet lil school classroom. I dont quite get it, I have been to Wacken 2 times now & seen a show at the 02 in Dublin, I have never seen a more involved crowd than overseas. 90% of americans will not get involved, are we to good to sing, are we embarrassed to show that we enjoy the show, are we to cool to let loose, will we not be cool if we sing along......im at a loss on this topic.
I did enjoy the show, like I enjoy every show I go to, if you see the over zealous guy at the shows clapping, singing, hand always in the air, you've met me then....
In closing, the show was perfect, theres always a song we would like to hear, but the set was perfect, the guys after the show, signing autographs, letting us get pictures with them before their night out with friends is a night I will NEVER forget. Why are the European bands so friendly & approachable & most american bands not available for pictures or autographs, im not saying all, but most.
The show was played to perfection & this is a show that is burned in my mind forever. Thank you for the memories guys. Nigel, Biff, Nibbs, Doug & Paul.....Thank you & should you decide to come back, you can bet you'll meet me again. Such a classy bunch of guys to say the least.
Driving some 500 miles on Saturday to see Saxon was the easiest drive I have ever made. After seeing the Denim and Leather and Strong Arm (Heavy Metal Thunder World Tour Part 2) shows in the early 80's the last time Saxon was in Minneapolis I guess was on the Innocence Tour. That time they played at the First Ave. nightclub to MAYBE 35 people. As I recall it was an all- ages affair that started around 5 in the afternoon and was not promoted AT ALL ! This Call To Arms album (ya i still call em albums) is my vote for rock album of the year. I know Sir Edward Trunk has annointed the mighty Anthrax with that honor which is a great choice but mine goes here.It was/is so refreshing when a band tours behind new stuff that you wanna hear just as much as the old stuff.You have all seen the setlist but for me which was every bit as awesome as the set was the way it just flowed. Perfect. Doug and Nibbs solo's were done so well leading into their respective songs. Not too long at all, just a minute or two to get a taste and then back to the songs ! The entire band was in PERFECT form all night giving us a good two hours worth. Having just flown in from San Antonio you would have never known it.By the way guys, talk to your tour manager and ask why the hell you go Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, New York in a frickin' weeks time! Wow. Most of the other big name bands basically do every other day at best with the odd back to back.Biff on his third night in a row hit every note there was and that is no BS. Again, coming from north of Minneapolis with my 15 year old son I had the time of my life. Hey, you others from Minnesota wasn't it unreal the mention Biff gave from the stage about many of us coming from far away places like Minnesota? Totally outta the blue. Waiting by their bus after the show paid off in spades! The band coming out one by one to sign EVERYTHING and take EVERY pic anyone wanted. Got my Call to Arms signed by each and saw some guys getting literally 20 things signed. They smiled, talked and took time for everyone. Fave part of that whole experience was not for me but my son.As I was waiting for Paul to sign some dudes massive collection o stuff (c'mon man!) I had my back turned away from my kid for about 3 minutes. After Paul signed, I turned around and saw the smile on my son's face and asked what was up? He said dad you won't believe it, but while you were waiting Biff talked to me the whole time! Genuine guy. He first asked my kid "Where's your daddy?" He pointed to me and then Biff asked more about him like how old he was, what other bands he likes, etc.When he asked my son if he knew all the songs tonight he told him ya. Biff says I know cause I saw you and our dad in the 3rd row! Top man! Telling my wife this story when I got home I put it to her this way....Imagine seeing one of your fav bands/singers 30 years ago and now having the chance to see em again with your son and having it be even better than before! Unreal! Thanks again Saxon. I know you probably don't read much of this stuff but wanted to thank you none the less. Cheers!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Hey guys great reviews thanks for sharing. To try and answer a recurring question, to the best of my knowledge some of the band do look in hear and read stuff.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Mmake sure Leo reads this so he knows his time has not been taken for granted, I misunderstood him when he said " their out by the bus " when we hear that from american bands that means their in the bus & they are hiding from the crowd & leaving in 5 minutes without meeting fans or have no time for the fans who put food on their tables & $ in their pockets. Its always the European bands that take time for fans ..........I love it but wish american bands actually did this, with the exception of thrash & metal bands all others are dicks & should be tarred, featherd & beaten with whiffle ball bats til they agree to lose the arrogance & take time for the fans who put them where they are at in the first place. Hail SAXON!!! thank you Leo!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM

I agree with BuffaloBiff about the best show and the fact that Call To Arms smokes Anthrax'x new album, new anthrax does have Belladonna back, but themusic is much more of the chug chug new style which makes me want to drink mh own vomit at times, nt the worst anthrax album, better than stomp & the last 2, but call to arms is far superior, just like the new Megadeth of last year....um.....shit brainfart......[endgame..!! thats it yes it was descent, but the 2 previous were better written & had less filler. oh well if you disagree, fine this is just my opinion is all,...no neeed to rip me one.....just an opinion. Yes Call To Arms is one of the top releases of the past 2 years. im just ecstatic I saw Saxon live finally. more worthless tripe from me i know............but im laid off againi & severely bored & have nothing better to do than sit my fat arse in front of my computer & type worthless garbage & force you guys to read it out of curiousity. cheers & Hail thge Hordes!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 AM

great reviews guys ,glad your all enjoying the mighty saxon in usa again, lets hope they keep pulling more and more metalheads to shows, saxon are great on a small stage but the bigger stage they play the better they are, lol 3 hours saxon show would be brilliant but not even we get them to play that longeven though it not beyond the mighty saxon to do