Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Poor venues...

OK, straight in with a whinge but, meh, some things have to be said.

So, last night, Rock City, Nottingham, I came to a sad conclusion - I'm not going to bother getting off my backside to see Saxon unless it's a special gig. Don't get me wrong, this is nothing to do with the band, when do they ever play a duff gig?
Nope, this is down to the half-wit who books the venues.

Last night was the third time in recent years I've come within a whisker of missing the start of Saxon's set, due to them going onstage at some stupidly early hour.
It still took me FOUR HOURS to get approx 50 miles thanks to some idiot closing the M1, but if I'd not chanced upon the stage times online and set off early, I'd have missed most of the show anyway (Here's a tip - some of us old farts aren't and never will be signing up to Facebook, but do look on sites such as this, so relevant info is appreciated here)

Why? What is the reason Saxon are due onstage at 8pm? Answer - because the venue is booked after the gig for a completely different event, so the room has to be cleared for the student disco. It happened at Leicester Uni, and at Leamington Assembly, but now Rock City are doing the same thing...I don't know if I'm going to make the effort next time. Even if it was a rock night afterwards, there'd be less of a problem, but to be herded out with half a pint left in my hand, past the lines of scantily clad children ("You'll catch your death dressed like that love, put a coat on") at 10pm is a bit of an insult.

OK, it's mid-week, but surely it's better for all concerned to have time to finish work, get changed, wolf some tea, down to the local show, have a couple of pints and enjoy the band? Not if you are expecting 2 support bands to be done and dusted and Saxon clearing their kit off the stage by 10pm.

Is it beyond the wit of man to book a venue on the terms - Headline act finish 11 - 11.15pm? If they want to do their kiddie disco afterwards, that's up to them, but at least us paying punters won't feel rushed through the evening's entertainment. I object to feeling like I've been processed, they've had my money, thanks very much, drive through.

I KNOW I'm not the only one who feels like this, speak to any of the people being driven out by the doormen and there will be plenty of people talking about rushing to get to the gig, missing buses, parking, rush-hour traffic blah blah.
Is it mere coincidence that a packed venue like Rock City, a proper rock crowd, was remarkably subdued at approx 8.15 when Saxon came on, yet livened up around half way through the set (like, 2 pints in)? When they only played for about an hour and a half at the absolute outside, that surely doesn't do them any favours?

I realised many years ago that apart from a handful of notable exceptions, Saxon's support bands were...um, how can I say this diplomatically...errr, "not in the same division, nor expecting promotion in this lifetime" as the headliners, so I've not been too concerned about missing them. It is nice to be in the building though, so I can stick my head around the door and if they are worth it, forsake the bar. That's difficult if you are in traffic fighting the office workers who have just clocked off. I know it's only about an hour earlier than what I'd call a "normal" gig time, but it's an expensive hour to account for.

If Saxon are going to do Weekday Matinee performances, they should publicise the fact prominently BEFORE we buy tickets. Better still, book PROPER venues and make sure Saxon's gig is the main event, not something shoe-horned in before the venue's real priority - Student Night/Chess Club/Badminton.

Come on, we deserve better, Saxon deserve better.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Thumbs up

Okay, I thought I was the only person who came away last night, feeling a bit frustrated. Maybe the crowd just didn't seem as lively and excited as the previous 2 times I saw Saxon (both at Rock City). Or maybe it was the fact that they started the show 15 minutes late? And that they seemed to be rushing through the setlist?

To be fair, I think it's probably the venue's fault for pushing them to be finished for 10pm. Anyway, that's my twopence on it.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 PM

looks to be standard practice these days for club sized venues and may be the only way they can turn a profit by holding live events and club nights on the same evening

This was also rescheduled at very short notice so i doubt Saxon had much choice

The two local venues i go to in Brighton for gigs (Concorde 2 and The Haunt)both have a chucking out times of 22.00ish ,which i dont actually mind as i can have a few more beers around town before getting the last train home

But neither excuses the ticketing agent or promoter not making concert goers aware of an early stage time so you are damn right to be pissed off

For those going to the London gig on Saturday here are the stage times as listed on the venue website

Beyond The Black: 7.15pm
Hell: 8pm
Saxon: 8.45pm

See you in the walkabout ,mines a Guinness
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyswart View Post
looks to be standard practice these days for club sized venues and may be the only way they can turn a profit by holding live events and club nights on the same evening

This was also rescheduled at very short notice so i doubt Saxon had much choice

The two local venues i go to in Brighton for gigs (Concorde 2 and The Haunt)both have a chucking out times of 22.00ish ,which i dont actually mind as i can have a few more beers around town before getting the last train home

But neither excuses the ticketing agent or promoter not making concert goers aware of an early stage time so you are damn right to be pissed off

For those going to the London gig on Saturday here are the stage times as listed on the venue website

Beyond The Black: 7.15pm
Hell: 8pm
Saxon: 8.45pm

See you in the walkabout ,mines a Guinness
walkabout is no more mate
Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
walkabout is no more mate
Damn it, enjoyed a few beers in there over the years.

Where is everybody having a few before the gig, is the O'Neils still open?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
Damn it, enjoyed a few beers in there over the years.

Where is everybody having a few before the gig, is the O'Neils still open?
nope that's gone too
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 PM

few of us are meeting up here,a stones throw from the empire.
http://www.brewdog.com/bars/shepherds-bush

come and say hi
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
nope that's gone too
Yes, just googled it and found that out!

What the hell is going on around there, is there anywhere decent nearby for a few beers beforehand?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
few of us are meeting up here,a stones throw from the empire.
http://www.brewdog.com/bars/shepherds-bush

come and say hi
Cheers for that, hopefully I will be there.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
OK, straight in with a whinge but, meh, some things have to be said.

So, last night, Rock City, Nottingham, I came to a sad conclusion - I'm not going to bother getting off my backside to see Saxon unless it's a special gig. Don't get me wrong, this is nothing to do with the band, when do they ever play a duff gig?
Nope, this is down to the half-wit who books the venues.

Last night was the third time in recent years I've come within a whisker of missing the start of Saxon's set, due to them going onstage at some stupidly early hour.
It still took me FOUR HOURS to get approx 50 miles thanks to some idiot closing the M1, but if I'd not chanced upon the stage times online and set off early, I'd have missed most of the show anyway (Here's a tip - some of us old farts aren't and never will be signing up to Facebook, but do look on sites such as this, so relevant info is appreciated here)

Why? What is the reason Saxon are due onstage at 8pm? Answer - because the venue is booked after the gig for a completely different event, so the room has to be cleared for the student disco. It happened at Leicester Uni, and at Leamington Assembly, but now Rock City are doing the same thing...I don't know if I'm going to make the effort next time. Even if it was a rock night afterwards, there'd be less of a problem, but to be herded out with half a pint left in my hand, past the lines of scantily clad children ("You'll catch your death dressed like that love, put a coat on") at 10pm is a bit of an insult.

OK, it's mid-week, but surely it's better for all concerned to have time to finish work, get changed, wolf some tea, down to the local show, have a couple of pints and enjoy the band? Not if you are expecting 2 support bands to be done and dusted and Saxon clearing their kit off the stage by 10pm.

Is it beyond the wit of man to book a venue on the terms - Headline act finish 11 - 11.15pm? If they want to do their kiddie disco afterwards, that's up to them, but at least us paying punters won't feel rushed through the evening's entertainment. I object to feeling like I've been processed, they've had my money, thanks very much, drive through.

I KNOW I'm not the only one who feels like this, speak to any of the people being driven out by the doormen and there will be plenty of people talking about rushing to get to the gig, missing buses, parking, rush-hour traffic blah blah.
Is it mere coincidence that a packed venue like Rock City, a proper rock crowd, was remarkably subdued at approx 8.15 when Saxon came on, yet livened up around half way through the set (like, 2 pints in)? When they only played for about an hour and a half at the absolute outside, that surely doesn't do them any favours?

I realised many years ago that apart from a handful of notable exceptions, Saxon's support bands were...um, how can I say this diplomatically...errr, "not in the same division, nor expecting promotion in this lifetime" as the headliners, so I've not been too concerned about missing them. It is nice to be in the building though, so I can stick my head around the door and if they are worth it, forsake the bar. That's difficult if you are in traffic fighting the office workers who have just clocked off. I know it's only about an hour earlier than what I'd call a "normal" gig time, but it's an expensive hour to account for.

If Saxon are going to do Weekday Matinee performances, they should publicise the fact prominently BEFORE we buy tickets. Better still, book PROPER venues and make sure Saxon's gig is the main event, not something shoe-horned in before the venue's real priority - Student Night/Chess Club/Badminton.

Come on, we deserve better, Saxon deserve better.
I absolutely agree with you on this one Bungholio. I attend gigs up and down the UK and it seems every bastard venue is doing this now. You feel like cattle being herded in and out, bands are coming on earlier and earlier and what really fucks me off is the chav idiots that are waiting for their night to start more often than not end up in the gig and generally take the piss by dancing like twats and behaving as befits their low IQ. A few times I have been involved in scuffles because of this and had to be restrained from knocking some c**nts teeth out. Literally fighting your way out of venue through large groups of drunken youngsters is not my ideal ending to a great gig (which inevitably started early)

It's all about squeezing as much as possible from the venue and as such the humble punter is now treated appallingly. Unfortunately this seems to be out of the hands of bands that are playing. Its all corporate bullshit and I hate it. One thing is for sure, I never take start times for granted anymore and always check the venue before hand for the evening schedule.