Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Introduce Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM

Wink Birmingham Odean 1980

I'm a metal fan from the late 70s who went to see Saxon at the Odeon on New Street Birmingham late in 1980, I'd just seen Iron Maiden and AC/DC at the Odeon (Back in Black) and managed to touch Angus Young's leg as he was past around the ground floor. Saxon was metal at its best, head banging was almost outlawed for anyone remembering these times due to a few deaths publicised in the press. My next concerts through 81/82/83 were Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Gillian, Sabbath, Scorpions, Tygers of Pan Tang, MSG, Ozzy, Rush, Motorhead, Rainbow, Robert Plant and then Ultravox 31/05/84, a gig never to be repeated. The list goes on (still counting at 115). Anyway I want to find out when the Saxon gig was & who supported and anything anyone out there remembers. A blast from the past. Andy C
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Welcome mate. I'm sure there are some on hear who may be able to answer your questions - But hey I'm too young LMAO

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 PM

I recall Cheetah (those two Aussie birds) supporting at some point in the early 80's....might have been a little later though. Possibly '82?

Here they are: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIRYq9y16I

Song written by Vanda/Young. As if that wasn't obvious from the opening riff!!!

But wait...what's this??? They're still going....http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=isj7Tty-4BA

Still look a bit tasty...if not even better than 25 years ago!!!

Last edited by thebigredone; 01-23-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM

I don't know anything, but welcome!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM

If it was early 1980, then it would have been Lautrec who supported them on the Wheels of Steel tour. Late 1980 would have been the Strong Arm tour, but I can't remember who supported (off to the loft to see if it says in the programme). Cheetah were 2 dodgy australian girls who supported them on the Denim and Leather tour
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Lionheart supported Saxon at the Rainbow Theatre in 1980. Not sure if this was a one off gig or part of a tour though. Think it might have been around April time, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Welcome to the forum Andy.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Militia, thanks for your reply, the gig I went to was definitely late 1980 - have you found your programme and if so does it give a date? I am trying to list all my concerts, dates, support, tour etc...and then want to align key events in my life to date against these as my memory is so bad (too much head banging probably). For example 1990 saw motorhead moved house, 2001 saw ozzy got married, some may call it a mid life crisis! Anyway any help is much appreciated. Andy C
Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm 99% sure that Strong Arm tour was late 1980, as I saw them in March 1980 on the Wheels tour and I seem to remember seeing them again later in the same year (October rings a bell).
Haven't made it up to the loft yet.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I'm a metal fan from the late 70s who went to see Saxon at the Odeon on New Street Birmingham late in 1980, I'd just seen Iron Maiden and AC/DC at the Odeon (Back in Black) and managed to touch Angus Young's leg as he was past around the ground floor. Saxon was metal at its best, head banging was almost outlawed for anyone remembering these times due to a few deaths publicised in the press. My next concerts through 81/82/83 were Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Gillian, Sabbath, Scorpions, Tygers of Pan Tang, MSG, Ozzy, Rush, Motorhead, Rainbow, Robert Plant and then Ultravox 31/05/84, a gig never to be repeated. The list goes on (still counting at 115). Anyway I want to find out when the Saxon gig was & who supported and anything anyone out there remembers. A blast from the past. Andy C
Back to the post rather than the tosser who is prattling on about status quo (soon to be saxonised I hope)!
If it was late 80, then would have been the Strong Arm of The Law tour (as Wheels was early 80).
I should have a programme up in the loft, so I'll try and dig it out to see who the support was and any other information relating to the tour
Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Birmingham Odeon

I was at a gig at the Birmingham Odeon when local group QUARTZ supported them. Not sure if it was the early Wheels of Steel tour or the later Strong Arm of the Law tour. I think I have programmes somewhere but could also ask around. I'd be interested to know the actual dates if anyone can remember that far back.