Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Default Queen

you can see my avatar and know that i adore queen. i just wanna say that there's no band like them. no other band has so successfully combined rock, hard rock, opera, classic rock (even rockabilly in crazy little thing called love), electro pop (radio ga ga), rnb/funk (another one bites the dust). every band member has written a number 1 single, they're unique in that also. they're very well known for their spectacular shows and they really wanted to deliver a proper show even when that was considered uncool when punk came along. by that time a lot of bands was doing really bad popularity wise but not queen, punk couldn't touch them. when punk era came they released news of the world album in '77 which was pretty bare and basic for them with not so many overdubbing and vocals. although through the years they constantly change and never repeat themselves you could always hear and tell that it's queen. my fav Q period was the 70's. when they were great-they were the best! when they were having off night they were still better than 90% of the bands that were around at that time and in 70's and 80's music was a lot better than today. anyone saw them live? or maybe with tour with paul rodgers? i was born in '83 so i was too young to see them (last tour was in '86) but i saw them 3 times with paul rodgers and it was the best 3 concerts i've ever been to! i could only imagine how it would be if i saw original queen. i'd probably die the happiest man alive!
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM

I never saw them live, but wish I had.

Their albums from Queen up to News Of The World are classic and they were on of the best groups around in the 70's. I have to say, I'm not so keen on on them after that. There were some good songs on Play The Game, The Works and It's A Kind Of Magic, but for me Queen's magic was in the 1970's.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 PM

I've never got into Queen innuendo...but let me just say that they are a "EXCELLENT" awsome fantastic band man,Freddy Mercury had an awsome voice and thier music was extremely "original".

I have nothing bad to say about Queen,they set the standards for seperating themselves from the rest and thier songs are very well written,they have many great songs thats for sure.

There will never be anybody like Freddy Mercury again,he rocked man.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 PM

while a lot of there songs were listenable. id rate them at best a pop band with no balls.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM

freddie had 3 and a half octave range so technically speaking he didn't have widest range cos there are 4 octave monsters like geoff tate, halford... but he's not considered rock god just because of his amazing vioce (the best in pop/rock/metal imo, the sound of his voice was spectacular, he could sing the gentlest ballads like my melancholy blues or kick ass hard rockers like stone cold crazy and do it all like no other) because technically there are more accomplish singers but because he had unique combination of talents-he was the best frontman ever (and no one can touch him now), had a whole stadium in the palm of his hand, second to none showman, performer and real energy bomb on stage. if he had only that i'd consider him rock god but he was unique talent in writing and composing music as well and that is often overlooked by his showman qualities. did you know he came up with that headbanging riff in bohemian rhapsody? also he came up with that crazy little thing called love riff. not bad for someone who knew only 3 chords on guitar but he used it to his advantage. i think brian may (also rock god in his own league) could never came up with something that simple on guitar just because he never thinks in the form of 3 chords song. why am i often saying "rock god" in this post? check it here http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=112034
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
freddie had 3 and a half octave range so technically speaking he didn't have widest range cos there are 4 octave monsters like geoff tate, halford... but he's not considered rock god just because of his amazing vioce (the best in pop/rock/metal imo, the sound of his voice was spectacular, he could sing the gentlest ballads like my melancholy blues or kick ass hard rockers like stone cold crazy and do it all like no other) because technically there are more accomplish singers but because he had unique combination of talents-he was the best frontman ever (and no one can touch him now), had a whole stadium in the palm of his hand, second to none showman, performer and real energy bomb on stage. if he had only that i'd consider him rock god but he was unique talent in writing and composing music as well and that is often overlooked by his showman qualities. did you know he came up with that headbanging riff in bohemian rhapsody? also he came up with that crazy little thing called love riff. not bad for someone who knew only 3 chords on guitar but he used it to his advantage. i think brian may (also rock god in his own league) could never came up with something that simple on guitar just because he never thinks in the form of 3 chords song. why am i often saying "rock god" in this post? check it here http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=112034

to be be fair they was better to listen to than the likes of kate bush and the other endless rubbish that make up the music industry. but compare queen to bands like sweet and slade and i know who'd id rather listen to
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 AM

Queen is an awesome band to listen to, Bohemian Rapsody is a fantastic song with a short, but awesome guitar riff in it - Queen may not be the best band in the world (who is?) but they stuck to their music throughout and never changed their tune to suit MTV and mainstream music tastes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 PM

queen are (i mean they don't exist any more but they'll always be that) dramatic, theatrical, hard and soft at the same time, versatile-those are just some things that are great about them. and also you can enjoy them if you're seriously into quality (rock) music or if you're a kid and you think we will rock you, flash... are pretty cool songs.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
Queen is an awesome band to listen to, Bohemian Rapsody is a fantastic song with a short, but awesome guitar riff in it - Queen may not be the best band in the world (who is?) but they stuck to their music throughout and never changed their tune to suit MTV and mainstream music tastes

i dont believe it ! stuck to there music throughout ?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
i dont believe it ! stuck to there music throughout ?
they did stuck to their music throughout cos they were always experimenting and trying something new and different so fans got used to getting something different from them every single time but always you could tell it's queen. some might say they got too much into pop and synth music in the 80's but like i said they always experimented and made good albums using synths or not. in the 80's there were more pop songs from them but again that's nothing new because they had pop songs in the 70's as well as hard rock. on every album they always had pure hard rock songs, not all of them were released as a single so someone who hasn't listened to the albums might think that most of their 80's songs were poppy. some people who love more common hard rock with the same formula that's always the same (like ac/dc or motorhead) might not like Q cos they were always trying something new and fresh and that's highly unlikely today and it only proves how creative, daring and original they were.