Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
J.D.DIAMOND's Avatar
J.D.DIAMOND J.D.DIAMOND is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle Washington,U.S.A.
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
J.D. Although I won't quite say it in your beautiful away I think I pretty much have to agree with you. Even though Priest were good live when I saw them earlier in the year, they have certainly kept everyone waiting for new stuff and pretty much used this tour as a money making exercise. The only thing I will say in their defence is that you dont always know how many of the compilation/ best of albums are actually sanctioned by the band themselves. Record companies do have a habit, especially lately, of repackaging/ rereleasing stuff at the drop of a hat to eek out any few last pennies people might still have

We know it wont be their Epitaph, might be as far as huge world tours are concerned but I cannot see them stopping completely. I don't understand how, when Halford (The Band) put out such a good album recently, that some of those songs couldn't have been used on a new Priest album. As I've said before that record certainly sounded a lot more Priest than Nostrasnore did.

What irks me more (and Fingers mentioned something similar recently) is why Saxon have to play second fiddle to certain bands when they tour. To have a Priest, Motorhead, Saxon lineup as Spain got earlier this year and for Saxon to be Second Support was a complete travesty. They are the best live band out of the three (by a long way) and they have put out consistantly great albums, unlike Priest.

Saxon kicks the holy crap out of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden put together by a long shot. Saxon really have taken over as the masters of traditional classic british heavy metal starting from the Dogs Of War album 1995.....yes the last 16 years they are the Metal Gods...not Halford and Priest.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM
innuendo's Avatar
innuendo innuendo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 510
Default

my favorite metal band in black sabbath (cos of their 70's output and first 2 albums with dio) but saxon is very close and sabbath can't touch saxon in the 80's (except with heaven and hell and mob rules) cos saxon had bigger number of great songs and albums in that decade. my favorite priest era is 80's and also i love 80's saxon more than that greatest priest era. also i have to say not priest nor sabbath can touch them in the 90's. as for 2000-onwards my favorite metal album is blood of the nations by accept so only accept can kick saxon's ass nowadays (and we have to wait for new accept album to see if that will be the case). so when priest release their new album i won't be having high expectations but i'm disappointed with new saxon albums cos i had big expectations. still i think call to arms is better than angel of retribution and nostradamus
__________________
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 PM
J.D.DIAMOND's Avatar
J.D.DIAMOND J.D.DIAMOND is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle Washington,U.S.A.
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
my favorite metal band in black sabbath (cos of their 70's output and first 2 albums with dio) but saxon is very close and sabbath can't touch saxon in the 80's (except with heaven and hell and mob rules) cos saxon had bigger number of great songs and albums in that decade. my favorite priest era is 80's and also i love 80's saxon more than that greatest priest era. also i have to say not priest nor sabbath can touch them in the 90's. as for 2000-onwards my favorite metal album is blood of the nations by accept so only accept can kick saxon's ass nowadays (and we have to wait for new accept album to see if that will be the case). so when priest release their new album i won't be having high expectations but i'm disappointed with new saxon albums cos i had big expectations. still i think call to arms is better than angel of retribution and nostradamus

I agree Call To Arms is better than Angel Of Retribution and of course its better than Nostralulaby. This next Priest album will not be in the vien of Turbo or Ram It Down,nor Innocense Is No Excuse,Rock The Nations,Destiny albums or albums with the late 1980's commercial american vibe to them so yes this new album will not be for you.

Its supposed to continue where Angel Of Retribution left off but it may be not as good as even the Retribution album.

Judas Priest have wasted too much time these last 5 years when they could of been releasing studio albums. It sucks big time. With the "modern sounding Accept album Blood Of Nations" I'm absolutely shocked to hear you perfer it over Saxon's last 5 studio albums(2001 - 2011)??? WOW. To each his own,no worries....just "WOW. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
747rick's Avatar
747rick 747rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wrexham, Wales
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
With the "modern sounding Accept album Blood Of Nations" I'm absolutely shocked to hear you perfer it over Saxon's last 5 studio albums(2001 - 2011)??? WOW. To each his own,no worries....just "WOW. lol.
I actually think Blood of the Nations is one of the best sounding albums in recent times production wise. Andy Sneap is a master. But I don't ever try to rate one album over another, or for that matter one band over another it's all opinion and taste. All I know, from a personal point of view, is that when I listen to Saxon I get a feeling that takes me to a different place and thats what sets them apart from other bands to ME. It doesn't stop me loving other bands or other albums.

You could endlessly debate technical aspects of bands and albums, what's their best song, solo, gig etc etc etc and never come to a final conclusion. It's what you feel in the pit of your stomach when you listen to something that matters and that's why Saxon have always been my band and that's the beauty of music
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM
innuendo's Avatar
innuendo innuendo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
I actually think Blood of the Nations is one of the best sounding albums in recent times production wise. Andy Sneap is a master. But I don't ever try to rate one album over another, or for that matter one band over another it's all opinion and taste. All I know, from a personal point of view, is that when I listen to Saxon I get a feeling that takes me to a different place and thats what sets them apart from other bands to ME. It doesn't stop me loving other bands or other albums.

You could endlessly debate technical aspects of bands and albums, what's their best song, solo, gig etc etc etc and never come to a final conclusion. It's what you feel in the pit of your stomach when you listen to something that matters and that's why Saxon have always been my band and that's the beauty of music
i agree with you. and i have to say that although blood of the nations has that modern production it's still great to me even though i prefer that classic 80's metal sound. still blood of the nations has kept that spirit of that classic metal era and that's why i love that album so much and over any saxon album from 2000 till now. to keep it simple-it just rocks!
__________________
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM
innuendo's Avatar
innuendo innuendo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
I agree Call To Arms is better than Angel Of Retribution and of course its better than Nostralulaby. This next Priest album will not be in the vien of Turbo or Ram It Down,nor Innocense Is No Excuse,Rock The Nations,Destiny albums or albums with the late 1980's commercial american vibe to them so yes this new album will not be for you.

Its supposed to continue where Angel Of Retribution left off but it may be not as good as even the Retribution album.

Judas Priest have wasted too much time these last 5 years when they could of been releasing studio albums. It sucks big time. With the "modern sounding Accept album Blood Of Nations" I'm absolutely shocked to hear you perfer it over Saxon's last 5 studio albums(2001 - 2011)??? WOW. To each his own,no worries....just "WOW. lol.
you got me wrong-i'm not a big fan of turbo and ram it down (worst priest 80's albums imo) and also of innocence, rock the nations and destiny although i find them better than those 2 priest albums. and even they are not my favorites i consider them a bit underrated among the saxon fans. my favorite saxon albums are wheels of steel, denim and strong arm (my favorite)-that's the metal sound and attitude i like the most.
__________________
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.