Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM

OK this thing was on a long time ago now, 7 1/2 years ago in fact!

Other than the unfortunate air-guitar thing and the after show discussion episode, which are easily found on youtube, I haven't seen anything else from this Get Your Act Together thing.

Obviously Saxon fans were pretty passionate about this show, and it had mixed reviews, all that.

Over all however, this show ended up not hurting or helping Saxon, at least in the long run - true?

Either way, I'd love to see the rest of it just to see Biff and the boys in different situations etc...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Just uploaded it to youtube,it's in 3 parts.

http://youtu.be/ekrAHJtl3-g?list=UUx...-eiNzgRFGdcesQ

http://youtu.be/G-yaAj20s0Y?list=UUx...-eiNzgRFGdcesQ

http://youtu.be/yJqY9WIPr4c?list=UUx...-eiNzgRFGdcesQ
Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM

midnightrider - Thank you, man! Great to finally see this thing!

Now, I did think it was entertaining but obviously they were not kind in their editing of the program. For instance Saxon's manager (is he still managing Saxon?) was made to look bad, purely through editing as is the standard for reality television shows such as this. They were very rough on the manager, I thought. In the wrap up/discussion portion, which I'd seen prior to this, the manager was ready to go off. After seeing how he was made to appear, I understand his anger better now.

As for Biff, he came off great in this, I thought. Looked very cool, even the air guitar thing - he just handled everything well. That guy is a class act, isn't he?

I do wish there was more face time for Paul Quinn. The other guys too, but it would have been nice to see and hear more from Mr. Quinn. I will say this as well: Nibbs Carter is a riot! He had two great lines that I recall (probably others I'm not remembering)... One was something like "It was nice to see some girls in the crowd....Did they know it was us that was going to play?" or something near that. Very funny! The other was "It's all over Youtube" regarding the air guitar thing. Good stuff! Cheers, Mr. Carter!

So it was something where Saxon was more the butt of the joke than anything else, maybe. But as a Saxon fan, I thought they came off all right. If I weren't a fan, didn't know them or barely knew them, and saw these episodes maybe I'd feel different.

It is what it is. For better or for worse, Saxon is never going to be Iron Maiden when it comes to critical praise or commercial success. Of course I think they are right in league with Maiden (I love Maiden, but I love Saxon more) and I feel they should be an upper echelon live act and recording artist. But it's not that way and really, will it ever be?

Biff is right, they have to stay true to what they are. Spread their wings in the metal or hard rock realms a bit, but stay away from things too trendy. I honestly don't know for sure but it seems like in the late 80s/early 90s they maybe chased that Def Leppard style a little and it did them no good. Better to maximize what you are and what your strengths are maybe, than to try to be something you're not.

I don't know, I have no answers to why Saxon can't be a gigantic Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Metallica sized thing. But I am glad they're still together putting out top notch material.

So UK folks, did this show seem to hurt Saxon? Help them? Or pretty irrelevant in the end?

Thanks again, midnightrider!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Yes Thomas is still their manager and is one the most influential and best managers out there.He is also the co founder of Wacken and still runs it to this day,and he's a very nice chap too.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
Yes Thomas is still their manager and is one the most influential and best managers out there.He is also the co founder of Wacken and still runs it to this day,and he's a very nice chap too.
If he co-founded Wacken then obviously he's got knowledge and skills that are a benefit to Saxon in hard rock and heavy metal fandom.

They sure didn't treat him well in the editing room, did they?