Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 02:01 AM

sure i agree SAXON live is more powerful and keeps getting better which is absolutely amazing and beyond many bands
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Earlier I said Lionheart and Into the Labyrinth, but Im not sure if Into the Labyrinth I still think that about ITL.

Batallions of Steel is one of their best songs (best song live IMO), and Valley of the Kings, Demon Sweeney Todd are also career highlights, but the rest of the stuff isnt quite Saxons best material.

Lionheart still sounding as good though!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 AM

metalhead,every track on it is 10/10. anything they have done since doug joined seems to have more power even the older stuff rerecored.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 AM

Done to death this thread on a previous forum:

1) Strongarm of the Law (For me the definative Saxon sound. Forget WOS it never had the attitude that this album did)

2) The Inner Sanctum (Quality from first track 'till last. Never really got my head round "If I was you", but it's not out of place and of the later albums, has to be my favourite so far).

3) Lionheart, quite possibly the strongest and heaviest metal album that Saxon ever released. I don't ever think we'll hear similar again from the band, and from that point of view I don't want them to try to do so. Very, very in your face metal for the 2000's.

Lastly....

19) Rock the Nations. First track ok, second track great. "Waiting for the Night" fantastic commercial rock... If Def Leppars or a band of similar ilk had released that, then I'm certain it would have been a massive hit - but we wouldn't have had the Saxon we have now. I haven't listened to this album in its entirety for 15 years, I won't ever again.

St Georges day 2011... Please play Battle Cry.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Bosnian Witchfinder;32835]Earlier I said Lionheart and Into the Labyrinth, but Im not sure if Into the Labyrinth I still think that about ITL.

Batallions of Steel is one of their best songs (best song live IMO), and Valley of the Kings, Demon Sweeney Todd are also career highlights, but the rest of the stuff isnt quite Saxons best material.

Actually in my opinion "Voice" is 100% totally "kick ass" and is ever bit as good as tracks like Metalhead's "Sea Of Life" for an example.

Also I thought Come Rock Of Ages was also a very good Saxon track,same with the old-school Saxonish track "Slow Lane Blues" is very groovy.

I think that Crime Of Passion and Protect Yourselves are the 2 tracks that are not as quality as the rest of the album but I still like those 2 songs. The only 2 songs on the album that I can't get into is "Live To Rock" and 'Hell Cat".

I also agree with most that 2004's "Lionheart" is Saxon's all time BEST album in thier career. It is absolutely magical and every song is a Saxon classic.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post

Its hard sometimes to settle on one album,but I always go to "Lionheart" as Saxon's all time best album. It just has the majestic touch that lands this masterpiece as Saxon at thier very best.Every song on this album is excellent.
It's a very close run contest between Lionheart, Inner Sanctum and Strong Arm Of The Law. If Strong Arm didn't have the awful 6th Form Girls on, it would be nigh perfect
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM

my favorite is strong arm with denim and leather close second. lionheart is not in my top 10 saxon albums, it's not evern the best in the 00's, i prefer labytinth, sanctum and killing ground
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Default Lionheart- Brought us all back together???

Lionheart- Brought us all back together???
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

I remember the early years and the fun in the bands eyes that people were digging this newer band. They had fun on stage, they played with testosterone and in my mind Strong Arm, Denim and Leather with Power And The Glory were as good as any metal / rock albums could be. Does anyone remember the tours for these albums. Awesome. Of course Lionheart, Unleash and Battalions are also right up there.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
my favorite is strong arm with denim and leather close second. lionheart is not in my top 10 saxon albums, it's not evern the best in the 00's, i prefer labytinth, sanctum and killing ground
Strong Arm Of The Law is definately a killer album,8 songs on it and only one is terrible "Sixth Form Girls"....yuk. Other than that,what a great record!

9 songs on Denim & Leather and I like 6 of them,the 3 that I could never get into are Out Of Control,Rough And Ready and Play It Loud.

Wheels Of Steel has 9 tracks and 7 of them I like,the 2 I could never get into are See the Light Shinning and Suzie Hold On,the other 7 tracks are supurb.

Lionheart not in your top 10? lol! Thats ok,we all have different outlooks. But to me Lionheart is etched in stone as the band's best album out of all 18 and my 2nd favorite is 2007's The Inner Sanctum but its only my personal opinion and not trying to say it should be the right one,or I'm not saying everybody should think this way,its all Saxon and its just an interesting outlook.

To me Saxon's last 7 studio album dating back to Dogs Of War are the band's best albums,I've heard alot of people say they like modern day Saxon over the 80's but I do respect those who favor Strong Arm and Denim too,its all about Saxon,they are absolutely amazing.

Tags
albums, saxon