Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 AM

Default Destiny thoughts?

I know it gets ripped a lot, but I kinda dig it. It has some killer riffs that stand up to the stuff they do now. Take away Ride like the Wind and its a good 80's album. Any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 AM

I agree, I think the production lets it down, it's too glossy, but there are some great songs. We've said on here before that to hear some of those songs re-recorded with the current lineup would be fantastic!!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Same here ,i always thought it was great bar the production, i was hoping for some of the songs to be on the unplugged and strung up release coming soon but no show i reckon saxon should play these for us next year Where the lightning strikes, Jericho siren, For whom the bell tolls, and the fucking mighty Red alert you'd be bonkers not to
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM

I've always liked Destiny and could never understand why people were so dismissive of it.

Heid
Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Smile

Couldn't agree more with you all, particularly with 747 Rick's assessment, and have reviewed the album on Amazon saying much the same.

Dig beneath the keyboard loaded production, there's some potentially great Saxon songs on there which re-recorded now could sound superb. Shame they didn't re-record 1-2 for their forthcoming CD.

Besides the ballads, its seems Biff was back on form lyrically after his clichéd subject matter on Rock the Nations, with some meaty subjects being tackled- Berlin Wall, Titanic, Chernobyl, decline of British industry etc.

Quinny's has got some good riffs on there too- even if its a shame they have to compete with the keyboards!!

Personal favourites are SOS, Jericho Siren, For Whom the Bells Toll and Red Alert.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Janet

It's not bad at all. It's just different from their usual stuff. Sometimes it's nice to have something a little different to listen to.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Well, if Destiny is the worst album Saxon can do, its still a great album. I liked it from the day I got it. Nothing wrong with some keyboards thrown in. Just another side of a great band.
Music Angel-YC800MK Tube Amp,Carver C-1 Preamp,S*A*M Aldebaran Turntable, Jolida JD9 Phono Stage,ZYX Ultimate100 MC Cartridge,DBX 1231 PRO EQ,DBX-120X-DS,DBX-3BX DS,SIM Moon D100 DAC,LG-550 Blue Ray Region Free,Klipsch Modified Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Eek. Going to go against the masses here. Not keen at all. Too slick and overproduced and suffering from that horrible keyboard synth sound that so many rock/ metal bands went in this

Not that there is anything wrong with keyboards. UFO, Deep Purple, Gabriel era Genesis all have them as part of their sound. It's how they are used

Saxon, Kiss, ZZ Top, Judas Priest all went this way for a period. Thankfully most of them have gone back to that hard rock that they do best.

Last edited by lionessheart; 12-12-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Agree there are some good songs on destiny, but yeah the production did let it down, id like to hear this album re-recorded with better production.
s.o.s fav song for me of destiny. Maybe replace the keyboard parts with Orchestra.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Nothing wrong with Destiny. it is of it's time and as mentioned previous all the metal bands went the Americanised,soft rock route for a while.
Not many bands could pull off re-recording songs of this era and get away with it but I think my favorites, Sos and Red alert are good candidates for a makeover.
Saxons current style could bring out the power and hidden depths of these.