Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Nigel pounding away

Not entirely sure if this belongs in the General forum or not, but feel free to move it otherwise. I just came across an old piece I haven't heard in decades and though I'd share the memory.

I had only heard Toyah Willcox a couple of times around '80/81. She didn't get that much airplay in Sweden (I think she was mainly a phenomenon on the British market) but from what little I'd heard the music seemed pretty intelligent, Kate Bush-y stuff -- certainly heads above most of the pop drivel dominating the radio shows of the time. That was all about the vocals and melodies, though; I'd never really paid attention to her rhythm section.

Then one day I read somewhere that Saxon had replaced Pete Gill with the drummer from Toyah's band. Curious, me and a friend of mine walked over to the nearest record store and picked up the first thing with her we could find (an EP called 'Four From Toyah') and gave it a spin. This is what we heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2BIgGOyew

Back in '81 those drums sounded positively thunderous, so we both looked at each other and went "FUCK YEAAH!!" The effect did last for a couple of years; both before 'The Eagle has Landed' and 'Power and the Glory', part of our anticipation was to hear that new, hard-hitting powerhouse of a drummer. It was years before I found out some people actually thought of that part of Nigel's career as a drawback...

(BTW, now that I check it out I see he's got co-writing credits for some of the songs on her 'Anthem' album. Anyone listened to those?)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Nice tale!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 PM

haha i remember the magazines always bring that up about nigel being toyahs ex drummer,,,but after the denim and leather tour ,the eagle has landed ,power and the glory albums they could see what a killer drummer nigel was, for the new saxon album id like a few real killer brum pieces to top power and the glory album,,something that will get lots of people saying fucking hell
Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Live to rock 747

I remamber toyah doing a song called Thunder in the mountains think it was called im sure nigel was doing the drumming on that song, i might be wrong i dont no, but i remember the song. and it was ok, liked it, but at the time i heard it i had no idea niel was drumming on it, sure he did
Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

(checking...) Yeah, Thunder in the Mountains was during his time with the band. It's credited Willcox/Lee/Glockler.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM

I really liked Toyah back in the day.

On Niges site there is a discography section check it out

www.nigelglockler.com

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelatar View Post
Something that just occurred to me... this is pretty similar to his drumming at the start and middle section of 'State of Grace'. I knew he'd go there again, eventually.